• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbooks – How Many Do You Own? (Part 1)

maggiethecat

Hey FG, feel free to donate those duplicates to me!

Maggie, I will count tomorrow. 2 bookcases worth

Favorites: The Armchair James Beard (Pancake recipe awesome!)

The Pie and Pastry Bible

Lisa

Lisa: I'll have the calculator ready. And God forgive me, I had totally forgotten about that wonderful pancake recipe. Thanks for the reminder.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I've never had polenta--I have eaten spoon bread--yum.

Maggie, put me down for 7 cookbooks, if Rodales "Putting Food By" and the Ball Blue Book count, that is. (If I need a recipe, I just do a google.)

BTW, the bro is coming down next weekend--should I send some eggs up?

sparrowgrass

BTW, the bro is coming down next weekend--should I send some eggs up?

Now it's 27.670.

Sparrowgrass...yes! SHould I PM you the details?

Sparrow's eggs...wow.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

I received "The Nero Wolfe Cookbook" from Amazon today. :

That is such a fun book...with the snippets from "archie" introducing each dish..I've used his shad roe recipe.

I just picked up two books from the Time Life Series, Foods of the world, so add those in.

Grew up on my Gram's lumpy oatmeal. Never loved it or hated it. But wow! What a difference when I started to buy McCann's Irish oats. Yum.

My collection is brinking at 521 at the moment. Wonder what the grand total would be with the volumes of food magazines I've saved and recipes I've printed from the web?

Edited by beans (log)

Well, now, Maggie, if it has recipes in it, it's a cookbook, no?

Put me down for 3 Euell Gibbons "Stalking the Wild. . . " books, 4 other wild edibles books, a wild berry field guide and a wild mushroom field guide, each with many recipes.

That's 9. The three other mushroom ID books have a couple recipes in each, but let's not count them. The Chicken Tractor and the Complete Guide to Raising Chickens have a couple of pages of recipes, too, come to think of it.

sparrowgrass

The three other mushroom ID books have a couple recipes in each, but let's not count them.  The Chicken Tractor and the Complete Guide to Raising Chickens have a couple of pages of recipes, too, come to think of it.

I'm counting them, and I might have to order a copy of The Chicken Tractor . That's eleven.

Thanks beans, Kim, carolyn and heyjude. And thanks for the recco on the Lewis/Peacock book.

I am two thirds of the way to Sloopy's the Doggy Diner Running total: 28,696. 5.43 miles.

(Um... :wub: awaiting three from Amazon)

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

I will send you the chicken tractor if you want it. It is about building portable chicken pens that you move around to where you want chickens to scratch up the soil and deposit the things that chickens deposit.

I just let the girls roam free, and they mostly deposit on the back porch. Where the cat food is. Or useta be, til they ate it.

sparrowgrass

I will send you the chicken tractor if you want it.  It is about building portable chicken pens that you move around to where you want chickens to scratch up the soil and deposit the things that chickens deposit. 

I just let the girls roam free, and they mostly deposit on the back porch.  Where the cat food is.  Or useta be, til they ate it.

Oh, Ma'am...very funny. Longing to get you and Jaymes in the same room.

Long deep sigh. No room for a chicken tractor here.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

I probably have 50-60, but almost all of them are packed away in cardboard cartons here and there. There are a couple of those I'd like to dig out some day if I can find them. One's from the American Beef Council, or something like that, and it has a dynamite recipe for making the best chili seasoning I've come across. It's a pamphlet sort of thing that came with some Omaha steaks years ago.

The other is a seafood cookbook from Maine that has lots of recipes from "average" Maine women and covers just about every fish and shellfish that can be gotten along the shore here. Nothing fancy, but some good solid cooking.

The only two cookbooks I use on a regular basis are the new Joy of Cooking (plus an older edition) and the Pro Chef from the CIA. I don't usually go by recipes - I get an idea of what I want to do and then use them for reference and as a starting point.

29, 996.  Good Gad, the 30,000 mark looms.  5.68 miles.

And Flocko:  Welcome to the Friendly Confines.

Thank you, Maggie!

Bill Benge

Moab, Utah

"I like eggs", Leon Spinks

11 or 12, counting from memory. Down from 20, when I moved. Ran out of bookcase space. Had to lose weight. Reading about food made me want to EAT!

I used to live with housemates and together we had about 50 in the the kitchen, 10 or so others scattered throughout the house.

I weed them out in a few years if I don't cook ANYTHING from them, except for the historical/instructional ones. Those can be fun.

I also use library books a LOT. Let THEM manage the shelf space! :cool:

31, 168.

Yes, the library idea is a good one, and a ploy I use frequently. It can prevent impulse purchases.

The problem comes after I've returned the book and realize, later, that there were a few things I really wanted to make from it. Then it's click on Amazon time, or a quick rush to Borders.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

Add 32 for me. Garage sale: set of 5 Elizabeth David cookbooks ($4.00) and the COMPLETE set of 27 Time-Life Foods of the world cookbooks ($10.00). The latter -- the hardbound and spiral notebooks, each in a separate box (perhaps this should count at 54?).

Ta-Da! To top it off, the garage sale was across the street from my house! The other shoppers were oogling a huge pile of those grocery store Pillsbury cookbook/pamphlets. Gah.

I've got the lumber, and I've got the power tools. Next week, when we return from the cabin, I build a new bookshelf.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"