• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbooks – How Many Do You Own? (Part 1)

maggiethecat

I found (and claimed) a copy of The Dione Lucas Book of French Cooking by Dione Lucas and Marion Gorman in our recycle room- does it count?

Anyone know anything about this book or the authors? Seems pretty dogmatic "It is better not to prepare a dish than to substitute an ingredient."

Anna NN

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Not pink? Mines pink.

you're british, and the foreign version looks different. and it's probably not snipped either. but i think the pink and non-pink version are the same at the end of the day.

Incorrect Old boy, The non-American versions aren't cheaply put together and don't fall apart. Must be some social commentry on the American-throw-away-society thing. I don't think people should use cookbooks for this politicking, but there you go.

Incorrect Old boy, The non-American versions aren't cheaply put together and don't fall apart. Must be some social commentry on the American-throw-away-society thing. I don't think people should use cookbooks for this politicking, but there you go.

oh dear. i thought we were talking about penises. :unsure:

Not pink? Mines pink.

you're british, and the foreign version looks different. and it's probably not snipped either. but i think the pink and non-pink version are the same at the end of the day.

Or, sadly, in my case, every single goddamned morning at 5AM. :wacko:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Pink, David Thompson-wise and other, was discussed some time back on Dinner!, at which time CathyL cogently pointed out that the American version is pinkly bound, but not so dustjacked. Euroedition is pink through and through, which is of course beyond preferable. I ain't buying the half-assed punch-pulled no-balls not-100%-pink edition.

Note to self: Bite the g.d. Amazon.uk bullet already.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Not pink? Mines pink.

I haven't done a side by side comparison between US and foreign versions. But your other points are spot on.

Add 6 more for me.

The Cake Bible

Fix and Forget it (for slow cookers)

Williams Sonoma Roasting

Williams Sonoma Potatoes

Williams Sonoma Desserts

Williams Sonoma Cookies

(busy shopping day yesterday :biggrin: )

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

May I ask what those of you familiar with them think of Cooks Ill's "The Best Recipe" and "America's Test Kitchen" series? Would be interested to know.

Kind thanks.

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

46 food 12 wine

which here makes me a minimalist...

Edited by lissome (log)

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

Howdy, I can add 180 plus 4 on order from Amazon.ca ! I usually find alot of good stuff in used bookstores and I can't go into our local bookstore without buying something. It is very addicting.

Dan Walker

Chef/Owner

Weczeria Restaurant

Well - I can add 58 more since I just acquired the complete Foods of the World Series with the accompanyng spiral bounds courtesy of e-bay - ya gotta love that place.

Great score, ronfland!

26,000 even.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com