• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbooks – How Many Do You Own? (Part 1)

maggiethecat

There have been a few cookbook/recipe threads happening recently. I simply want to know, as a strictly academic exercise, how many cookbooks the greater eGullet commumity owns. End to end, would they circle the world?

C'mon, take a few minutes or half an hour. Post the totals here. And it ain't some friggin' contest! Many great cooks have few books, and many non-cooks own lots.

Food magazines don't count.

I'll keep a running total. Awbrig, don't forget to count the Nancy Silverton book we borrowed.

It's relaxing. Glass of wine in hand, go out there and count.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Probably 150, ranging from Madeleine Kamman to the Lake Tahoe Women's Club collection of family recipes.

Favorite is Christopher Blake's Easy Elegance, a 1970s book of Louisiana favorites, and some of his special treats. Very evocative of a man who was well loved by his many friends. Many recipes from restaurants, friends, or something from Satchmo's cook.

I usually put 1 or 2 books or magazines on my work table to get me thinking in unexpected directions. Right now they are Bayless's Mexican Kitchen and Crescent Dragonwagon's Soup & Bread. Next up are the Tahoe / Reno restaurants cookbook and Dannenberg's Parisian Boulangries.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I can't play. It's embarrassing. :blink::wacko::shock:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Five hundred fifty-six. I just checked my catalogue spreadsheet. That doesn't include duplicates of some Time-Life Foods of the World, and multiples of The New Cook that are waiting for me to see the people I want to give them to.

Ooops, no, I lied. :blush: Five hundred fifty-seven. I forgot I haven't yet listed Peterson's Essentials of Cooking.

Every time I get to 400 I have a yard sale.  But since most of them are in storage, I've probably added a hundred in the past year.

Let's say 500. 1870.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

I can't play.  It's embarrassing.  :blink:  :wacko:  :shock:

Jaymes, not acceptable! Start counting, Girlfriend. You've got an hour to spare.

878 (and one on order) :shock:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

That is two thousand four hundred and sixty four cookbooks. Seven owners!

If even twenty more of you 'fess up, we're halfway to the moon.

Jaymes: I'll be in Austin for a week to drink margaritas and try to make a dent in your collection.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

There have been a few cookbook/recipe threads happening recently.  I simply want to know, as a strictly academic exercise, how many cookbooks the greater eGullet commumity owns.  End to end, would they circle the world?

C'mon, take a few minutes or half an hour.  Post the totals here.  And it ain't some friggin' contest!  Many great cooks have few books, and many non-cooks own lots.

Food magazines don't count.

I'll keep a running total.  Awbrig, don't forget to count the Nancy Silverton book we borrowed.

It's relaxing.  Glass of wine in hand, go out there and count.

I only have 15 or so. :sad: I usually don't cook from them. I just like to read about food and learn about cooking. I do plan to keep buying cookbooks. I just have to find a job first. :rolleyes:

Heyjude, one of our Pacific Northwest members, has at LEAST 1000. Her apartment is wall to wall cookbooks.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

It's not really fair for me to play because I get a dozen or so review copies a month. But I've also come by a lot of cookbooks honestly. So I counted a couple of shelves and took an average, then multiplied. Then I did the same for cartons of stored books. We're looking at approximately 1,200 here, with perhaps 200-300 of those being duplicates (shhhh . . . nobody tell Wiley they send me two of everything). That's at most 1/5 of all our books, though, as any eGulleter who has been in the apartment can testify.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Jaymes:  I'll be in Austin for a week to drink margaritas and try to make a dent in your collection.

Seriously??? :unsure::rolleyes:

About 90, with another couple dozen that are about food but in no way cookbooks, and a dozen or so books on cocktails, spirits, wine and beer (these do contain recipes but I'm not sure if they count).

About 90, with another couple dozen that are about food but in no way cookbooks, and a dozen or so books on cocktails, spirits, wine and beer (these do contain recipes but I'm not sure if they count).

Sure, JAZ, they count.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

Jaymes:  I'll be in Austin for a week to drink margaritas and try to make a dent in your collection.

Seriously??? :unsure::rolleyes:

I'll google for fares! I've got the time. Lock up your sons! (PM you later)

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com