• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wanted: Red Food

indiagirl

ok, so we've been invited to a dinner this Saturday.

the theme is red.

so, i've bought some fascinating looking bhutanese red rice from zingerman's (a very bright light in the midwestern culinary scene) and i was contemplating making some risotto like thing

we will, of course, take over copious amounts of red wine

does any one have better ideas?

i've been working on not being vegetarian anymore (which led to a fascniating egullet thread, by the way) and have proudly reached a point where i ate an entire grilled fish (in venice) that came to our table and was still looking at me. i stared right back and filleted it with a skill i did not know i possessed.

i've tasted lamb (love it), pork, beef, chicken, shrimp, lobster, chilean sea bass, tillapia, which i have also cooked, and venison. loved them all except the venison and beef. completely loved the chilean sea bass before realizing i should not eat it. damn.

the point of that digression - i'm not at a place where i can cook red meat yet. in terms of red recipe suggestions, i mean.

also, somebody else is bringing dessert, but i would love to hear ideas anyway.

Indiagirl,

I know you want to be an omnivore, but I thought this might work out (and besides it looks and tastes great):

tomatoes, chickpeas and cauliflower, stewed with turmeric, garam masala and a bit of asafoetida. when I've made this in the past, the tomatoes turn a brilliant shade of red, with the addition of just a slight hint of turmeric.

If this doesn't grab you, there's always borscht (the hot version).

SA

How about folding some lobster into the risotto? You can even buy a tail or five already cooked. Just slice into sections, reheat gentle in butter, fold it into the risotto after you do the manchette (emulsifying with butter and parmesan). Some fresh tarragon perhaps.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Tomato Aspic

Red Velvet Cake

Strawberry Pie

Red Cabbage

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Just thought about achiote - a red paste that Mexicans make out of anatto seeds, chile peppers, and some other things. Very typically Yucatecan. Often they smear it over pork. Comes out really red.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

blood orange mimosas  :smile:

sangria :biggrin:

Bloody Marys

Campari

Wow - very cool. so many options, so little time. many thanks.

i need some education :

what is lillet?

how do you make red wine jelly/jam?

jinmyo - my risotto recipe does not discuss anything about a "manchette" or an emulsion. obviously it is lacking. where can i find one that will make me a better person?!

also, why only lobster tails? what about the rest of the lobster (i obviously have a lot to learn on the omnivore front)

those hot dogs, ouch. they will tint my dreams.

i need some education :

what is lillet?

jinmyo - my risotto recipe does not discuss anything about a "manchette" or an emulsion. obviously it is lacking. where can i find one that will make me a better person?!

also, why only lobster tails? what about the rest of the lobster (i obviously have a lot to learn on the omnivore front)

indiagirl, the entire process of making risotto is constant stirring in order to really transform the starch. At the end, you take it off the heat and begin whipping in slices of cold butter and stir insanely until the risotto emulsifies further. Then add the parmesan.

Lobster tails are easiest. You could of course use claws as well.

Holly, those are fierce looking hot dogs. :unsure:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

i need some education :

what is lillet?

what is lillet?

a french appertif made of red wine and herbs that is served chilled.

also, why only lobster tails? what about the rest of the lobster (i obviously have a lot to learn on the omnivore front

tails are the meatiest and work well in a risotto. with the claws - roughly chop 'em and mound them in a toasted new england hot dog bun(slit on the top of the bun rather than on the side) that has been toasted lightly and drizzle with melted butter. that is food nirvana.

p.s. - those are an awsome pair of dogs holly dug up

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Umm - not to be too obvious but, how about pasta with marinara sauce? :blink:

Tomato soup?

Red velvet cake was definitely my first thought. Yum - Red dye #5 in abundance!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I've heard it called manticare. (manty car-ray)

Butter and fresh parmesan beaten in and then rested for a few minutes.

The Italians will never use parmesan with lobster nor any fish, but I will.

Gee, I thought I posted this before, but I guess not: red Swiss chard. Unlike other "colored" vegetables like purple broccoli, it actually retains the red when cooked.

Carpaccio (the real, beef kind)

Steak Tartare

Raw Kibbe

Boiled spiced crabs