• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ron Zacapa

Dan Smith

Greetings,

I've now seen it popping up on a few German sites. See picture below

zacapablack.jpg

The following is a "Google" translation from the original German text from: Spirituosen Superbillig

The rum in each bottle was selected from "special reserves" personally by the master Distillern in Guatemala.  This bottle with box is available only on limited time, and only a limited number available.

Here is another translation from another German site: http://www.rum-versand.de/

The most beautiful equivalent in front.  Now is it there!  Who?  The Zacapa black label arrived.  In the last four years Ron Zacapa became 23 years and Ron Zacapa 25 years X.O. on the international rum celebration on Barbados with medals and honors almost ueberschuettet.  As admits now becomes, Ron Zacapa was distinguished now with the honor "Spirit OF the Year Platinum Award" of the Beverage Testing Institut, an independent professional Comite in Chicago.  Spurred by this honor a Special was brought to edition Ron Zacapa 23 years Black label, Gran Reserva on the market.  The filling was selected from "special reserves" personally by the master Distiller in Guatemala Edvin Najera.  This presentation set in the GP is limited available only short time and.  Reserve now, because this filling will be very fast out of print.  Price adjustments and deliverability we reserve ourselves!  The indicated prices are inclusive.  VAT.

I wonder when this will hit North America? I am going to Germany in March, you can bet that I'll pick one up. It's listed at 59.99 Euro and 60.95 Euro. Not too bad, if it's better that the original.

This is all very exciting... keep your eyes peeled for this one.

Cheers, Dan

Edited by Dan Smith (log)

"Traveler, you who sail into the Caribbean in silvered yacht or gilded cruise ship, pause as you enter these waters to remember that deep below rest three men of honor who helped determine the history of this onetime Spanish Lake: Sir John Hawkins, builder of the English navy; Sir Francis Drake, conqueror of all known seas; Admiral Ledesma, stubborn enhancer of his king's prerogatives and the interests of his own strong family"

James A. Michener - Caribbean

I hope that it's not only sold in 700ml formats. If so, then the US will never get it, and I doubt very strongly that the "Government" controlled Canadian Liquor Boards will bring this baby in... Lets pray that Mr. Edvin Najera feels that the US has good enough potential for this new Zacapa and make a 750ml for export... We shall see...

"Traveler, you who sail into the Caribbean in silvered yacht or gilded cruise ship, pause as you enter these waters to remember that deep below rest three men of honor who helped determine the history of this onetime Spanish Lake: Sir John Hawkins, builder of the English navy; Sir Francis Drake, conqueror of all known seas; Admiral Ledesma, stubborn enhancer of his king's prerogatives and the interests of his own strong family"

Kendall,

Hey there, I have a few questions for you...

You say that you don’t like the Black label, but do you like the original? How does it compare to it? Where did you buy it and how much did you pay? Is it a 700ml or 750ml?

Cheers

I've only had it of the Zacapa line, so can't compare it to their other rums. It's 750ml, btw.

It came from my friend ak2000, who bought it in Chicagoland somewhere (I think Sam's), by the case, so we got a good deal, seems it was in the mid $40's. :cool:

Tasted kind of like Goslings Blackseal Rum, which I also didn't like. I think it's the liquorish & sickly sweet flavours that don't appeal to me, although the Zacapa isn't nearly as bad as the Goslings, to me.

Of course, you may love it, as he does.

Internet Wines & Spirits, whose prices are high as giraffe pu55y, has it for $46.23:

http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/nsea...atalog=randalls

Edited by Bolivar Petit Corona (log)

Ahhhhh now I understand. You have tried this one... (see picture below)

1.zacapa.silo2.jpg

and not the NEW Black Label ... See picture in first post...

Sam's doesn't have the Black Label Zacapa, only the original.

Thanks Kendall

Edited by Dan Smith (log)