• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cucumber Raita

Suvir Saran

My brother who has come from India for the duration of my parents stay here in Denver, has cucumber raita with each meal.

I make it daily. I dice the cucumbers very finely. My mother chops them into medium dice. Panditji in India would always grate the cucumber. When in NYC, I also grate it... but often simply dice it very very fine.

I like it each way... they all have their own charm... but I know some friends and family members that are very picky about how the cucumber must be handled.

What does your recipe entail?

While we are discussing cucumber raita, do you have any special recipes for it? Special tricks?

Here is my very humble recipe.

Thanda Kheere ka Raita (cold cucumber raita)

Description

This delectable raita up has its origins in the princely Indian State of Rajasthan. Rajasthan is primarily a desert and the summers are quite hot. In sweltering heat of the summer, it has a wonderful cooling effect.

Serves 6

Ingredients

1 large cucumber, peeled and grated

1 small garlic clove, crushed

2 cups plain yogurt

2 cups water

Salt to taste

1 tablespoon Canola oil

¼ teaspoon mustard seeds

Garnish: 1 teaspoon fresh mint leaves , finely chopped

Method

Place the cucumber in a bowl and chill for about 20 minutes. You will notice the cucumber juice has collected in the bowl. Pour off this juice. Press down on the cucumber to get out as much as possible

Add the garlic, and then stir in the yogurt and the water. Combine thoroughly. Add salt to taste

Now, heat the oil in a small frying pan over medium heat. Add the mustard seeds and sauté for about 1 minute or until the seeds start to crackle and you can smell the aroma. Remove from the heat and stir into the yogurt soup.

Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.

When ready to serve, pour into a bowl and garnish with the mint leaves.

Cooking time

15 mins prep and about 2 ½ hours to chill.

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Monica,

Where did you learn this recipe? It is fascinating.... Cucumber Raita is indeed quite common in Rajasthan. Melons and Cucumber thrive in the dessert there.

The spices you use and how you use are somewhat unique. Wonderful. I was wondering if you have picked this recipe from a particular region , or if you just gave it the name Rajasthani as a way of remembering the love of these people for cucumbers.

My parents lived in Jaipur, Rajasthan for a long time. One of the Maharani's of the city was a good friend. She passed this recipe on to my mother. they would actually serve this as a soup.. a bit more thinned out. We use it as a raita. Also she would somtimes, I believe, susbtitute buttermilk for the yogurt.. in that case she recommended chillng the soup overnight -- a very different taste.

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

thrive in the dessert there

I'm assuming you mean desert Suvir. right? :smile:

The raita I normally make varies. The Lebanese version (courtesy of my mom of course and not called raita but simply "Cucumber in yogurt") is made with medium diced cucumbers, yogurt, salt and plenty of crushed dried mint. This is normally served with grilled or fried "kibbe".

Another version is made with strained yogurt, lime, cilantro and cucumber. this is more of a dip than a sauce but it is fantastic with grilled lamb.

Monica's sounds great too, especially that last bit with the mustard seeds. I will give it a try.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Monica's sounds great too, especially that last bit with the mustard seeds. I will give it a try.

FM

Exactly what sparked my question.

Mustard seeds are not too common in Rajasthani cooking. They are used in Southern Indian pachadis (raita).

The maharani in question traveled and so must have picked it up.

Pachadis (Southern Indian Raitas) are amazing. Just for this fact.. the fried mustard seeds and curry leaves and often a pinch of asafetida makes for a great flavor in the yogurt.

Pachadis (Southern Indian Raitas) are amazing.  Just for this fact.. the fried mustard seeds and curry leaves and often a pinch of asafetida makes for a great flavor in the yogurt.

Pachadis are indeed amazing. And they frequently skip the youghurt.

So, heat up the oil with the following ingredients in it:

mustard seeds

asafoetida

a teaspoon of urad (white lentils)

e teaspoon of chana dal

fresh green chillies

a few curry leaves

Stir it on medium to high heat until the mustard seeds start popping. A minute or two.

Add that to any fresh ingredients of your choice - chopped cucumber, chopped tomato etc.

Add salt to taste, cilantro and a bit of lime juice.

I love the crunch of the lentils.

Thanks for sharing the recipe Indiagirl! :smile:

What I love about some of these amazing Southern Indian recipes is the brilliant use of lentils and beans as spices.

In these tadkas (tempering oils), beans and lentils are used to flavor the oil and give the dish a flavor unique to these lentils.

What is also amazing is the crunch and "tooth" they add to the dish.

Monica, what Queen were your parents friendly with? Now I am all curious. I am writing a story about the foods of the royal families, maybe I can use this particular family as well. It is fascinating that they used mustard seeds for tadka. How long has that family used mustard seeds for Raita? It is a curious issue... I can imagine it being used in the last 20 years... but if they did so before.. they were way ahead of the trends. Would you be able to get this information without too much trouble? If you can, I shall be indebted to you greatly. And certainly I will give you credit as well.

read somewhere that you can 'sweat' cukes quicker by placing a bowl/bag with water over the lightly salted chopped vegetables while they chill/drain.

Edited by lissome (log)

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

simon, it does not necessarily "need" more. it's just a variation i enjoy. i frequently make it with nothing more than yoghurt, cilantro, salt and cucumbers. like pasta sauces. sometimes you want a basic sauce that needs nothing more than five minutes of cooking. and other times you want something a little more complex. if complex is the right word. which i do not think it is.

about the seeding - i do not seed them. i do however cut the ends of and rub them aginst the cucumbers (yes, yes, i do realize how that sounds!!) until the white goopy stuff comes off and then i peel them. i think that's an indian thing and it takes the bitter out.

suvir, do you do that too?

simon, it does not necessarily "need" more. it's just a variation i enjoy. i frequently make it with nothing more than yoghurt, cilantro, salt and cucumbers. like pasta sauces. sometimes you want a basic sauce that needs nothing more  than five minutes of cooking. and other times you want something a little more complex. if complex is the right word. which i do not think it is.

about the seeding - i do not seed them. i do however cut the ends of and rub them aginst the cucumbers (yes, yes, i do realize how that sounds!!) until the white goopy stuff comes off and then i peel them. i think that's an indian thing and it takes the bitter out.

suvir, do you do that too?

I agree with you Indiagirl.

I get bored of the basic raita very easily... especially when I have had it almost every day.

That is when I need the pachadis you so generously share about.

And once I have had pachadi and some other variations, I crave that basic recipe that Simon mentions.

Both are needed and necessary in my life.

And yes, like you, I often will rub the ends till that goo you mention comes out. A trick I learned in India. I do not think it is necessary in the US. The cucumbers have little flavor to begin with. And are not as bitter. But I often do it just for some shock value.

Indiagirl, that was a lovely analogy you used about the pasta sauce. :smile:

You mean you cut off the ends and rub the roots on the skins?

I seed cukes for yogurt dishes but always have the sense something's being lost, so eat them separately. Raita, and/or Tzatziki ?, I like instead of potatoes and toast with scrambled eggs. And everywhere else.

Edited by lissome (log)

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

You mean you cut off the ends and rub the roots on the skins?

I seed the cukes but always have the sense something's being lost, so i eat the seeds alone. The Raita, or too Tzatziki, I like instead of potatoes and toast with scrambled eggs. And everywhere else.

Nope you just trim the edges before peeling the cucumber. You then rub the fleshy sides against one another... it makes the cucumber froth.

That froth is supposed to be the bitter flavor of cucumber.

But it hardly makes any difference in the US.

the two now flat fleshy ends, head to head and toe to toe, you mean, of two different cukes at a time?

-Beaumarchais

lissome

i sketched an image for you but can't post it unless it's a url. had not thought that one through. anyway ... perhaps a verbals explanation will suffice. so you cut the ends off. then there are two flat faces you have created - one on the end piece on the main cucmber body. you rub these two faces together and some white goopy stuff comes out by capillary action.

i have no idea if this is really the bitter or it's just an old wives tale. i do it out of sheer habit and have never had a bitter cucumber!

ok, yes, three posts in a row is rude but i forgot somethinng.

suvir, the last time in india i was on a personal quest for cookbooks that contained recipes from royal gharanas and found one ... i believe it is by digivijay singh. i have not used it yet but would be more than happy to give you details if you are interested. let me know.

ok, yes, three posts in a row is rude but i forgot somethinng.

suvir, the last time in india i was on a personal quest for cookbooks that contained recipes from royal gharanas and found one ... i believe it is by digivijay singh. i have not used it yet but would be more than happy to give you details if you are interested. let me know.

I have the book. Do you like it?

I am not crazy about it. :rolleyes:

yeah. i'm not too crazy about it either. i've looked through it several times and have never felt particularly inspired to try something from it.

:(

i had such hopes for it too. i imagined the food being able to transport us into an era, you know, where we could eat like maharajahs and maharanis. which is what had inspired my quest in the first place.

oh well.

i guess, the maharajahs rarely cooked their own dinners anyway.

:)

Edited by indiagirl (log)