• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Turducken

Human Bean

I like the idea of this being "so last millennium."  I wonder who decided that the turducken was no longer to be "done" after 2000.  I can see how it doesn't really have that much glamour appeal but come on, look at it, its not supposed to be serious.  Maybe if I had made with local birds, heirloom cornbread stuffing and cooked it sous vide? or some "molecular" turducken - chicken, duck and stuffing caviar surrounded by laser fried turkey skin?

That is an interesting observation. I think of turduken as a dish that went from regional delicacy to international oddity in the 1990's but I hadn't considered the skid back into retro kitch nor the fashionable ways to keep it relevant or hip or whatever.

I think it will be around for a long time in the most traditional forms. Plus, the farther you are from New Orleans (or wherever the beast was born) the fresher the idea is. I can tell you that there were many pre-assembled turduckens-in-a-box in the freezer section of my grocery store as recently as 2007.

And for the record I have been working on my own highly unglamorous seafood turducken. When the time is right . . .

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

• 1 month later...

I love turducken, if only my wife was a carnivore. They are not hard to do, but as others have noted, time consuming,

Peter the Eater, how's your seafood version coming along? SOunds interesting. Are you going to use transglumate or Activa to bind?

This is a variant that i did for Christmas last, Basically it is a small hen Pheasant wrapped in a free range corn fed Chicken, which is then wrapped in a Pinkfooted goose(similar to a snow or blue goose)..........and called a Gooickant, but we may have to work on that a bit :biggrin:

The raw materials were boned out and laid out on clingfilm for hygeine.

gallery_52392_5856_86831.jpg

The hen pheasant was given a nice layer of sausagemeat and prune stuffing and some knobs of butter to moisten, even though she was in life well layered in fat.

gallery_52392_5856_112538.jpg

The same goes for the chicken and Pinkfoot(apologies for the bruised goose but it was shot by myself).

gallery_52392_5856_89675.jpg

gallery_52392_5856_167259.jpg

I rolled the Hen Pheasant into an assimilation of its former self and then placed it on the chicken, however I placed the head end of the pheasant toward the rear of the chicken so it gave bulk at the "thin" end of the chicken.

gallery_52392_5856_66780.jpg

I then placed the assembled meat into the Pinkfoot as below, with the breast downward and to the rear. You will notice that I left the bones in the wings and legs to give the correct shape.

gallery_52392_5856_187165.jpg

After sewing up and awaiting some butter and bacon before roasting.

gallery_52392_5856_66576.jpg

Partially and fully carved.

gallery_52392_5856_111296.jpg

gallery_52392_5856_151656.jpg

"It's true I crept the boards in my youth, but I never had it in my blood, and that's what so essential isn't it? The theatrical zeal in the veins. Alas, I have little more than vintage wine and memories." - Montague Withnail.