• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seafood in San Francisco?

Stone

Someone asked me where to go for good seafood in SF. I was surprised that I didn't really have an answer. Aqua and Farrallon are too expensive. What's left? Not looking for Asian fusion, but a good piece of grilled fish, crab, lobster, etc. My friends were told to go to Scomas, and I blanched.

I thought Swan Oyster Depot was inexpensive and a real down home kind of experience when I was there. Since they do a lot of retail and wholesale fishmongering, they can afford to keep the prices down. Also, I don't necessarliy think Polk Street is the high rent district (althought EVERYWHERE is the high rent district in S.F. from what I understand) so it's reasonable from that angle as well. Admittedly not much on atmosphere, but the food is delicious. More of a lunch kind of place though. They may not be open for dinner - I don't remember, having purposely gone there for lunch.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Hayes Street Grill for simple, perfectly grilled fish; I believe Patricia Untermann still owns it and keeps a close eye on the kitchen. Don't know if lobster is available, but I'd imagine crab should be what with Dungeness season being in full swing.

Yabbies is excellent.  The chef and I were line cooks together at Aqua and he really knows how to deliver the bang for the buck.

Oooh, how could I forget about Yabbies?!? I concur with Seattleguy: much bang for the buck. But I'll still recommend Hayes Street Grill as well . . .

Is this it?  The city on the bay has three good, casual seafood places, and one is only open for lunch?

That seems to be the case . . .

Must the restaurant be in SF? I ask because down here in our neck of the woods (Santa Cruz county), the worst-kept secret in great seafood places is Phil's Fish Market and Eatery in Moss Landing -- not to be confused with Moss Beach. Excellent, fresh seafood in a very casual venue, with a vast selection of dishes served in ample (read take-home containers!) portions. They do everything well, and I'm always happy to see one of my personal favorites, sand dabs, on the menu. Perfectly sauteed, they melt in one's mouth. I really can't recommend this place highly enough.

It's going to be a glorious weekend, perfect for a drive down the coast and a visit to Phil's.

I haven't been there, but Plumpjack?

Ah, now there's a thought, although I've not tried fish there.

Another "destination" restaurant on the coast is Duarte's in Pescadero. Again, very casual venue with excellent food, including some dynamite seafood dishes. I'd go out on a limb and say their cioppino is just about the best around -- even better than Phil's.

Lulu's has a great raw bar.

So does Zibibbo, Lulu's sister restaurant in Palo Alto. And those ethereal pan seared mussels get me most every time. Oh, and this is another restaurant that offers sand dabs on the menu. A great dish -- brought whole to the table and boned for you, served with a piquant Romesco Sauce in the Catalan style.

• 11 months later...

Ok, three P's:

Plouf (downtown; french alley; for mussels many ways; other seafood too)

Pacific Cafe (outer Richmond; casual, get free glass of wine while you wait; had my first sand dabs here!)

Pesce (Polk St; Venetian seafood small plates, chichetteria, wines by the glass)

I haven't been to Pesce's yet, but all the reviews have been great. Anyone been?

Have any other favorite seafood places not listed yet?

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I'm about to go to Tadich Grill for their sand dabs. It's a tourist trap, but what the hell.

Thoughts:

Stone, now that the crabs are caught in Eureka and the fish is from everywhere, what did you expect? Seattle?

If anyone says Spenger's Grotto in Berkeley, I reserve the right to shudder.

What's that one place that did a good moules frites but also had a sushi chef? I remember getting some nice sushi there.

Heard Pacific Catch is good, but haven't been yet. Good fish, not fancy is the buzz. Chronicle Pacific Catch review

Farallon is most definitely too dressy. That said, I just had fish there for the first time (dine about town) and it was pretty damn good, perfectly cooked, moist yet sloughing into flakes in my mouth.

I'm looking for a place where I can just get a steamed Dungeness crab to go for $5-$8.

--edited for brevity

Edited by jschyun (log)

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW