• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Garam Masala

girl chow

Thanks, Suvir and Indiagirl - At least I know and can make my choice. I appreciate the help. Anna N

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Just googled Ras-El-Hanout - sounds wonderfiul. Thanks for the tip.

The orange peel mention reminded me of an awesome recipe that my mom-in-law makes. An orange peel curry. I'll try to get the recipe.

you're welcome. you can get that, and a lot of great blends--they have 10 different curry variations, great dried herbs (they dry them out in the sun), and interesting things like that from Colorado Spice Co. Let me know about that recipe...

The orange peel mention reminded me of an awesome recipe that my mom-in-law makes. An orange peel curry. I'll try to get the recipe.

Indiagirl, it would be great if you could share that recipe..

In my cookbook I have a recipe using oranges. They were used quite commonly in the Moghul kitchens. But alas, their use has seemed to have ended as abruptly as the empire after Bahadur Shah Zafar.

• 3 months later...

Indiagirl, it would be great if you could share that recipe..

I'd be very interested to have a wee gander at this recipe too.

But, I know how it is sometimes when you try to do things - I've been trying to make a Cream of Haggis soup for months now and it's still not at a serveable stage :sad:

Maybe it's going to be another one of those great ideas that just did not work...

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm not sure if this qualifies as a true "garam" masala, but it's a recent improvisation that I'd like to share. It is a little herbal, and a little nutty at the same time. It seems to suit some of my vegetarian dishes well.

1 tbsp mixed peppercorns

1 tbsp cumin seed

1 tbsp coriander seed

1 tbsp sesame seeds

1 tsp mustard seeds

1 tsp fennel seeds

1/2 tsp ajwain seeds

Combine all spices in a dry pot. Roast over medium heat, stirring the spices slowly to prevent burning. Continue cooking over heat until the mustard seeds have popped, the sesame seeds have toasted, and whisps of steam are followed by the slightest haze of smoke. Grind when cool.

Thanks!

Rick

• 18 years later...

I have always eschewed recipes that call for garam masala because I try to avoid buying too many spice blends and making garam masala in house sounded too much like work.  But I finally succumbed and prepared a batch of garam masala tonight -- about a quarter of the recipe, which is from Vivek Singh's book Curry.

Ingredients include coriander seeds, cumin seeds, green cardamom pods, black cardamom pods, cinnamon sticks, cloves, nutmeg, blade mace, black peppercorns, bay leaves.  Yes, @Anna N, whole pods.

It smells wonderful.  And I now have somewhere between a half a cup and a cup of garam masala.  Vivek Singh says the garam masala lasts two weeks.  The recipe I made it for calls for 1/4 teaspoon.  Doing a bit of back of the napkin math I have a lot of garam masala to use up.

Once I make the recipe that calls for a 1/4 teaspoon of garam masala, are there any not too difficult recipes that call for a shovel full or two?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have always eschewed recipes that call for garam masala because I try to avoid buying too many spice blends and making garam masala in house sounded too much like work.  But I finally succumbed and prepared a batch of garam masala tonight -- about a quarter of the recipe, which is from Vivek Singh's book Curry.

Ingredients include coriander seeds, cumin seeds, green cardamom pods, black cardamom pods, cinnamon sticks, cloves, nutmeg, blade mace, black peppercorns, bay leaves.  Yes, @Anna N, whole pods.

It smells wonderful.  And I now have somewhere between a half a cup and a cup of garam masala.  Vivek Singh says the garam masala lasts two weeks.  The recipe I made it for calls for 1/4 teaspoon.  Doing a bit of back of the napkin math I have a lot of garam masala to use up.

Once I make the recipe that calls for a 1/4 teaspoon of garam masala, are there any not too difficult recipes that call for a shovel full or two?

I've always had the same issue - most recipes don't use much garam masala, but a little bit of it is in seemingly everything.  I've heard it freezes well, but I've never done it myself.

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Also interesting to note, recently I learned that as the spices are toasted for the mixture, garam masala should be added towards the end of the cooking process.

41 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Also interesting to note, recently I learned that as the spices are toasted for the mixture, garam masala should be added towards the end of the cooking process.

from what I've read, it is many times added both in the beginning and at the end of cooking... the flavors mature during cooking which is wanted, but you also want some freshness.  This is also done with things like ginger.

11 minutes ago, KennethT said:

from what I've read, it is many times added both in the beginning and at the end of cooking... the flavors mature during cooking which is wanted, but you also want some freshness.  This is also done with things like ginger.

Indeed.

Also, I'd say there are more garam masalas than there are Indian cooks. Most cooks have more than one. In fact, I doubt many make the same one twice!

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

46 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I watched a video with a (I believe 1* Michelin) chef from India doing his home made daal recipe.  He toasted whole spices at the beginning of the cook, but added the garam masala (which is ground and pre-toasted) towards the end.  Finishing touch was ground and sieved fenugreek leaves.

@JoNorvelleWalker 1/4 teaspoon seems pretty safe regardless how many the recipe serves.  I'd quadrupole at minimum 😁  

I use it at start and finish depending simmer time, etc.  If we did Indian on any regular basis I'd prob round up the ingreds and give it a shot.  Thanks for the reminder, I need more. I looked for the Ras El Hanout (above) on Amazon and didn't see it.   I had the Simply Organic last and it was fine but like to try another.   Any prefs?   https://www.amazon.com/s?k=garam+masala+spice&i=grocery&sprefix=gara%2Cgrocery%2C110&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_2_4

• Like 1

That wasn't chicken

1 hour ago, TicTac said:

Just to show I am not going crazy....found the video!

Great recipe, btw;

Probably why it's only a 1 star.  If he included at the start he'd have 2 or 3.  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That wasn't chicken

45 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

Probably why it's only a 1 star.  If he included at the start he'd have 2 or 3.  🤣

Vivek Singh adds the garam masala in the middle.

On 10/25/2021 at 8:58 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Try Japanese curry roux. I start with this recipe and tweak - it uses 1 tablespoon of garam masala https://www.justonecookbook.com/how-to-make-curry-roux/. It calls for Japanese curry powder, but I just use whatever on hand, usually madras curry.

Similar boat as you - I bought a bag of garam masala...forgetting that I already had a big, unopened bag of it. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Beebs said:

Try Japanese curry roux. I start with this recipe and tweak - it uses 1 tablespoon of garam masala https://www.justonecookbook.com/how-to-make-curry-roux/. It calls for Japanese curry powder, but I just use whatever on hand, usually madras curry.

Similar boat as you - I bought a bag of garam masala...forgetting that I already had a big, unopened bag of it. 

I like Japanese curry, and I stock Japanese curry powder in my cupboard.  However the flavor profile seems very different from garam masala, at least from the garam masala I made.

• Like 1