• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Picklelicious -- Pickles from the Barrel

menton1

I remember when I walked in the door a big sign saying we are now open 7 days a week, so i think that means that they are open monday through friday. :biggrin:

Oh yeah, and they deliver locally for a $20 minimum!!!!

oops they are closed mondays and I know that cuz i tried to go today was sorely disapointed.

Edited by finker99 (log)

The best part of the Guiniea Pig? The Cheeks! Definately the cheeks!!

How'd we miss this? From March 8, 2003: Pickle-licious in The Bergen Record. They got 4 Cars, the highest "Worth the Drive" rating.

It's been so long since we've bashed the Record, I'm amazed. Is everyone on good behaviour or something?

If they keep doing things we like, maybe we'll begin to like them, too :biggrin:

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Went to this place after reading about it on Egullet and also in the Record. They are closed on Mondays. The staff was very helpful and informative. The pickles were Delicious. They have a large assortment of different pickled items. Highly recommend this place. It's a happening place. :smile:

• 3 months later...

We discovered them at a street fair in Hoboken earlier this year. For those who like it a bit spicy, they do a version with hot pepper which is spicy without overwhelming its sour essence. Oustanding!

I've been jonesing for them ever since. Why I haven't actually made the drive to Teaneck, I'm not sure....

We discovered them at a street fair in Hoboken earlier this year.  For those who like it a bit spicy, they do a version with hot pepper which is spicy without overwhelming its sour essence.  Oustanding!

I've been jonesing for them ever since.  Why I haven't actually made the drive to Teaneck, I'm not sure....

are they at the Arts and Music Festival?

• 11 months later...

If you find yourself in Teaneck, make a stop at Picklelicious, 763 River Road (at the intersection of Cedar Lane). I recently picked up a quart of their 3/4 sours which are fantastic (perhaps even better than Guss'?) and had a perfect crunch.

Just beware: they're closed on monday and saturday. And the shop opens at 11:00.

Note from moderator: I merged the two NJ Picklelicious topics.

Edited by Rachel Perlow (log)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Rachel Perlow's pickle photographs are not only particularly pleasing to the eye but the selections at Picklelicious are positively pulchritudinous and appeal to my prurient pickle pleasures!! Thanks for the link, Jason! :laugh:

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I am going to order some of the hot cherry peppers for my boss. He was born and raised in Brooklyn and loves cherry peppers. He keeps trying new brands but always says that they just don't taste the way he remembers them in New York.

I have tried making them from several recipes and I didn't get it either.

Speaking of pickled peppers, Swab's High Sierra in Lone Pine, California now has an online site.

For anyone who has driven up 395 toward Carson City, Tahoe, etc., and stopped at any of the eateries between here and Reno, and sampled Swab's Chileno peppers, they no longer have to rely on folks who live in the area to ship them Swab's products.

Swab's High Sierra

I have shipped my share of Swab's goodies, from the famous Chilenos to their garlic-stuffed olives or pickled garlic with orange peel to friends and even to strangers who learned that I have local access to their products, to places as far distant as Australia and South Africa, England, Switzerland and Hungary.

A friend from North Carolina and I visited another friend in Mammoth (a caterer) a couple of years ago and when he tasted the garlic-stuffed olives he was hooked.

He bought a case to take home and less than a year later asked me to send him another along with a mixed case of their other products.

I love to make pickles but when there is a superior product on the market I do not bother.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Thanks for the tip. I will make a stop this week. I LOVE new pickles and can rpobably eat a dozen in a row without batting an eye.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

Wow picklelicious looks like a great place, glad someone revived this year old thread from the dead.

If anybody has been to the Meadowlands Flea Market, you have to visit the PICKLEMAN. Several varieties of pickles, plus fresh marinated mozzarella, artichokes, mushrooms, kimchee, green tomatoes, roasted peppers, sun dried tomatoes, garlic, pickled eggs to name a few as well as nuts and other snacks.

Prices are good and it is very convenient but you have to be in that flea market mindset.

5 years ago when I lived in Manhattan, my wfie and I used to get Pickle-licious at "the street fair"....the one that would magically pop up at a different location each saturday and sunday. It became a little game we had....scour the city for the fair, and reward ourselves with pickles. The things you'll do for fun when you're young and broke in the city....

Nothing says I love you like a homemade salami

• 5 months later...
Article about Pickleicious in today's Star Ledger...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Article about Pickleicious in today's Star Ledger...

Good for them, although the inevitible "Crossing Delancey" references no doubt invoked for any pickle merchant anywhere must get kind of tiresome. :raz:

I wish I'd known about the pickle eating contest, 'cause that prize of a quart of pickles each week for a year would have been sweet. I don't know my chances in the main event, but I would have aced the spicy pickle division, since I seem to have a tolerance (frankly the build up of the sour would have gotten to me much quicker than any "heat" build up). This "Josh Teplow", whoever he is, would have been DEAD MEAT. :biggrin:

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

• 1 year later...

I love this place- I'll go there specifically for the Hot and Spicy Pickles and those big honkin' cocktail capers, when they have them. Looks like it's time for another pickle run...

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

There is someone that sells pickles at the NJ Farmer's Markets also. Don't remember name.

also, I think it's Dr. Pickle, at the Highland Park FM--he does great business--at least he was there 2 years ago, the last year I had a stand there.

Zoe

I just noticed them at the Farmer's Market in Toms River (Wednesdays at Huddy Park - for anyone interested). I will definitely give them a try (especially the hot & spicy pickles). You never know what you'll find on this board. :)