• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Adding stuff to eggs when scrambling

Fat Guy

Hi all,

I've been told I make very respectable scrambles; but I don't do anything special. I make three eggs(or four, if people have been drinking) per person, with a bit of milk (or cream), lightly whisked with a fork. I generously butter a pan (I'm not too concerned with fat when making eggs...), over med-high heat, then add finely chopped onions or shallots, pepper, salt, and tarragon. Depending on what we have in the fridge, I may also add sliced button mushrooms at this time. Or not. I let these ingredients become yummy and soft and fragrant, then reduce the heat to low-ish. At this time I put bagels/bread/eng. muffins into toaster (when they are toasted I butter them and wrap them in foil while they are waiting for their pile of eggs). And now... I pour in zee eggs. Let them chill for a minute, then stir them around a bit. They begin to form those big, weird egg curds. Now, I take the heat off ( I hate over-cooked eggs, and they continue to cook a bit with the heat of the pan), add grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese, and then diced tomatoes. And then more pepper and salt. Mmmmm, sodium dairy treat. :biggrin:

Apparently, I put a lot of crap in my eggs. Still, I get nothing but mmm-mmm goods from the finished result. This may have something to do with the sobriety level involved. ??

Cheers!

"There is no worse taste in the mouth than chocolate and cigarettes. Second would be tuna and peppermint. I've combined everything, so I know."

--Augusten Burroughs

Hi all,

I've been told I make very respectable scrambles; but I don't do anything special.  I make three eggs(or four, if people have been drinking) per person, with a bit of milk (or cream), lightly whisked with a fork.  I generously butter a pan (I'm not too concerned with fat when making eggs...), over med-high heat, then add finely chopped onions or shallots, pepper, salt, and tarragon.  Depending on what we have in the fridge, I may also add sliced button mushrooms at this time.  Or not.  I let these ingredients become yummy and soft and fragrant, then reduce the heat to low-ish.  At this time I put bagels/bread/eng. muffins into toaster (when they are toasted I butter them and wrap them in foil while they are waiting for their pile of eggs).  And now... I pour in zee eggs.  Let them chill for a minute, then stir them around a bit.  They begin to form those big, weird egg curds.  Now, I take the heat off ( I hate over-cooked eggs, and they continue to cook a bit with the heat of the pan), add grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese, and then diced tomatoes.  And then more pepper and salt.  Mmmmm, sodium dairy treat.  :biggrin:

Apparently, I put a lot of crap in my eggs.  Still, I get nothing but mmm-mmm goods from the finished result.  This may have something to do with the sobriety level involved.  ??

Cheers!

Fritz: Your scrambles sound great.

Have you given up the sixty minute scrambles Nero made you make? Glad you talked the old fatso out of them. Scrambled eggs are scrambled eggs, not custard. Good work!

Note: Referring to the literary, not the eGullet NeroW.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Fritz - try keeping a bag of frozen french-fried potatoes in your fridge, and next time you're whipping up your "Specials," dice those french fries and put them in, as well.

Simply fab. And easy. As you'll see.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

3 eggs pp., big dollop of sour cream and a little green onion...my mother's method...no reason to change after all these years. But first and foremost, done in the pan means overdone on the plate !! Nothing worse than overdone eggs.

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

Fritz - try keeping a bag of frozen french-fried potatoes in your fridge, and next time you're whipping up your "Specials," dice those french fries and put them in, as well.

It's me who eats Fritz's eggs. They are sublime. Potatoes would be gilding the lily. Since I'm all about gilding the lily, I will be picking up a couple bags of potatoes at the supermarket after work today.

Have you given up the sixty minute scrambles Nero made you make? Glad you talked the old fatso out of them. Scrambled eggs are scrambled eggs, not custard. Good work!
Note: Referring to the literary, not the eGullet NeroW.

Actually, maggie, compared to Fritz, the eGullet NeroW IS an old fatso. Methinks it's the eggs . . . :wub:

Edited by NeroW (log)

Noise is music. All else is food.

The most interesting parts of this thread are the various eclectic and inventive spellings of 'Worcestershire sauce'.

Fab stuff anyway, works in virtually everything; especially stews, casseroles, stir frys, tomato sauces, marinades etc etc. I draw the line at adding it to ice cream. Actually, maybe with a really bitter choc-chip...

Equal fun can be had from asking non-Brits to spell British cheeses (Red Leicester and Wensleydale - which some people spell Wednesleydale...) are particular favourites.

Cheers

Thom

It's all true... I admit to being the MD of Holden Media, organisers of the Northern Restaurant and Bar exhibition, the Northern Hospitality Awards and other Northern based events too numerous to mention.

I don't post here as frequently as I once did, but to hear me regularly rambling on about bollocks - much of it food and restaurant-related - in a bite-size fashion then add me on twitter as "thomhetheringto".

I was told add water - not milk - it makes the eggs fluffier. Also, add small cubes of chilled butter to eggs whilst scrambling. It keeps the eggs from drying out and of course adds wonderful flavor.

"Never eat more than you can lift" -- Miss Piggy

Thanks for the tip, Jaymes, I'm always down for french-fried potatoes. There's a weekend coming up, and eggs at dawn, now improved, are on the horizon.

And as far as Fritz B's "sixty minute scrambles" go, it seems that life imitates art in this case because everything I do in the kitchen (including eggs) seems to take far longer than it should... I don't know exactly why, but something in me makes it impossible to cook anything without systematically dirtying every dish and utensil in the apartment, as well as taking out everything we have in the fridge. :wacko:

"There is no worse taste in the mouth than chocolate and cigarettes. Second would be tuna and peppermint. I've combined everything, so I know."

--Augusten Burroughs

The most interesting parts of this thread are the various eclectic and inventive spellings of 'Worcestershire sauce'.

Fab stuff anyway, works in virtually everything; especially stews, casseroles, stir frys, tomato sauces, marinades etc etc. I draw the line at adding it to ice cream. Actually, maybe with a really bitter choc-chip...

Guilty. I was getting it confused with the town in Massachusetts with a similiar name but is pronouced Wooster.

My mother says to add the stuff to cheese souflee mixture when you combine the eggs with the cheese. I heard that one of its main ingredients is anchovies? Hmmm...I wonder if South East Asian fish sauce inspired this... I just searched and came up with something from fabulousfood.com:

"Trademark for a piquant sauce made of soy, vinegar and spices."

Okay, maybe not, but perhaps anchovies are "Ingredient X".

Edited by nerissa (log)

Thanks for the tip, Jaymes, I'm always down for french-fried potatoes.  There's a weekend coming up, and eggs at dawn, now improved, are on the horizon.

Well - I think maybe putting some chopped potatoes into the eggs is a Latin thing. It's very typical here in the U.S. Southwest. Most of our "breakfast" tacos or burritos have chopped potatoes in the scrambled eggs.

And also, in Spain, those wonderful Tortillas Española con Papas.... basically potato omelets.

I have put potatoes into my scrambled eggs for years, but it was a LOT more trouble before I discovered I could keep bags of those frozen french fries around, and just chop up a handful of them for the eggs. I think those frozen french fries are partially cooked, maybe. Because they cook up quite nicely in the scrambled eggs. You can just add them right to the eggs, and don't have to pre-saute them, as I did when I added fresh, raw potatoes to my scrambles.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I know a lot of people add...(and dry ingredients)

Does anyone know if the addition of baking powder (whisked in with the eggs prior to adding the eggs to the pan) helps to create a fluffier product?

This was a method taught to me by a friend from Spain who makes a wicked spanish potato omelet. It may be a completely useless addition, but I can't break away...

Also, add small cubes of chilled butter to eggs whilst scrambling.  It keeps the eggs from drying out and of course adds wonderful flavor.

Heck of an idea! Thanks.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Definately milk or cream.

But once in a while I add finely diced onions, tomatoes and green chiles. Then just as they are about to be done, fold in some crisp homemade tortilla chips. The idea is to get some soft and some crispy chips in each bite. Topped with cilantro and may be some cheese, they are heaven.

Definately milk or cream.

But once in a while I add finely diced onions, tomatoes and green chiles. Then just as they are about to be done, fold in some crisp homemade tortilla chips. The idea is to get some soft and some crispy chips in each bite. Topped with cilantro and may be some cheese, they are heaven.

Migas.

Jaymes, I can't believe you haven't mentioned chili and eggs yet! :laugh:

I actually tried it last week (had to wait until I made my own batch of chili) and it was quite good, although I think I over did it with the chili in proportion to the egg. Next time perhaps a sort of thinly filled chili omlette.

Migas are my favorite egg dish excepting poached or over easy. Migas are very difficult to completely ruin.

Edited by Lyle (log)

Rice pie is nice.

Jaymes, I can't believe you haven't mentioned chili and eggs yet! :laugh:

I actually tried it last week (had to wait until I made my own batch of chili) and it was quite good, although I think I over did it with the chili in proportion to the egg.  Next time perhaps a sort of thinly filled chili omlett.

Well - I DID go on at some length in the other "scrambled egg" thread about chili & eggs, so felt like I had given y'all plenty of opportunities to try it. And if you weren't interested - well - too bad for yew. :raz:

I have put potatoes into my scrambled eggs for years, but it was a LOT more trouble before I discovered I could keep bags of those frozen french fries around, and just chop up a handful of them for the eggs.

What a great idea! Frozen french fries are blanched in oil before being packaged, so they're halfway to cooked.

I bet the packaged potatoes that are in the veggie or dairy section - I think they're called Simply Potatoes - would work too. Or are those just precut and not cooked?

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Small cubes of cream cheese mixed in before cooking gives the eggs a rich, creamy texture and flavor. Similar to the small cubes of butter mentioned above, but while some of the cream cheese melts into and combines with the eggs, some remains separate and you run into pockets and streaks of melty goodness as you eat.

I have put potatoes into my scrambled eggs for years, but it was a LOT more trouble before I discovered I could keep bags of those frozen french fries around, and just chop up a handful of them for the eggs.

What a great idea! Frozen french fries are blanched in oil before being packaged, so they're halfway to cooked.

I bet the packaged potatoes that are in the veggie or dairy section - I think they're called Simply Potatoes - would work too. Or are those just precut and not cooked?

Don't know about that - but those frozen ones are so handy - keep forever and they're easy to stack up like square-cut logs, and dice.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

But I think Shaw is looking more for stuff to enhance the physical texture of the egg, not just the taste.

You're right. O.K. How about this. I tend to use the cream at the beginning of the process. What do those do who use dairy at the end of the scrambling when making an egg 'dish' (migas for example)? Does one still add dairy at the end of the cooking process or does one modify the process depending on the ingredients of said 'dish'? I say this because the only time I cook eggs by themselves I prepare them poached or over easy. If I scramble my eggs, it is with something else in the pan, and it just makes sense to me to add the product to the eggs before they go into the pan.

Rice pie is nice.

a touch of water and milk, is what i add. generous amounts of butter. melted on a pretty high flame. add the eggs and let them sit (with steam escaping) for a few before i gently stir - when i see the curds, i stir a little more. until they look ummm. ....scrambled.

grate some sharpish cheese on top. and cilantro. and tons of freshly ground black pepper.

it's rare for me, though. i'm an ingredient maven (my greatest failing) and so i invariably add other stuff:

onions/scallions etc

cilantro

cheese, etc - a touch of feta or gorgonzola is excellent

poblano

green chillies

tomatoes

(onions, tomatoes and chillies would be egg bhurji, an indian dish)