• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where is this new Seattle deli?

Co-worker to me: "Where is that new deli in Seattle that has New York style corned beef and pastrami? I heard there were people lining up out the door to get some of that."

Me: "huh?"

I don't recall hearing about any new New York style delis opening recently. In fact, the only New York style deli I can think of in Seattle (at the moment) is Liberty Deli on Alki (only so so).

Ok, so where are the New York style delis? And where is the new one? If there isn't a new one, I'd like to be able to tell my co-worker where there is decent pastrami and corned beef to be found.

And why can't I find a previous discussion on this topic in any old threads? Could it be that we haven't already discussed this?

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

I should add that I wouldn't know a good corned beef or pastrami if it smacked me in the ass. I'm hoping Clink or some meat aficionado here will weigh in on this topic.

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

girlchow, I don't think we've covered this topic before, but it's a great one, thanks for bringing it up. I've been wondering the same thing myself. Where does one even find kosher pastrami in Seattle? I'd love to try some as I've heard it's supposed to be really delicious.

You're right about (NY) Liberty Deli. They only serve Boars Head products, and are so so. You'd think they would get the real stuff, being from NYC and all :blink: . They did make curried goat one time though (for their theater show in the evening). They made the leftovers into a soup the next day and it was wonderful. But for a NY deli, I think they should have more authentic ingredients and sandwiches. I believe their reuben sandwich is served on a bagel. And their NY grinder is served w/mustard. I thought oil and vinegar is more authentic, so I ask to substitute that for the mustard, and I prefer it that way.

(edit: it's their reuben sandwich that's on the bagel. their hot pastrami sandwich is served on rye). I've had one good foccacia sandwich there that was good, and one that wasn't. They also don't serve chopped liver there. One would think a NY deli would have some NY food in it. :wacko:

Edited by Blue Heron (log)

Could the deli in question be Roxy's? Thats the only kosher pastrami place I've hear of in town. Haven't been there myself, but it looks like they have two locations:

1329 1st Ave (where Virazon used to be)

2364 NW 80th St. Web page

I'd definately be up for meeting at the downtown location for lunch some day if others are interested....

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Some other thoughts, but nothing that makes you run out on a Sunday morning:

Gilbert's Deli on Main Street in Bellevue

The Other Coast Cafe on Ballard Avenue (Boar's Head)

Leah's Deli on 65th? I think there are two - one with meat, one without - keeping it kosher.

Buffalo Deli on First (in the base of some big building - only open for lunch?) - again, using Boar's Head I think.

Roxy's on First advertises it is serving Indonesian food as well. I find that very strange. I liked Roxy's when they had just a counter and three stools - their move to a larger space turned it into something dull. Maybe the food was the same, but it didn't seem like it. Haven't tried the original on 80th.

You people rule :biggrin:

Ok, thanks for the places to go to tell my bud about. From what I'm getting here, though, is that nobody else has heard of a brand new New York style deli serving pastrami and corned beef in Seattle? Is that right? Others, feel free to weigh in on this topic please. And I think we might need the Mamster and Clinkster to give their official meat input.

Maybe we could give a shout out to Stephen Shaw to get him to tell us what constitutes good "New York style" pastrami and corned beef. I'm pretty sure I've never had it.

-- Frank Bruni

You're right about (NY) Liberty Deli.  They only serve Boars Head products, and are so so.  You'd think they would get the real stuff, being from NYC and all  :blink:  .  They did make curried goat one time though (for their theater show in the evening).  They made the leftovers into a soup the next day and it was wonderful.  But for a NY deli, I think they should have more authentic ingredients and sandwiches

Hey Blue Heron, I also had some pretty NON New York style food at a Rip Tide Theater production at the Liberty Deli (sadly, I heard the Rip Tide has moved to Arts West, so I'm guessing the Liberty doesn't have theater nights anymore? Or is another theater company operating in there now?)

When I ate there, they *did* have some ok corned beef and cabbage, but the rest of the theater dinner buffet was pasta salads and potato salads that tasted like they came from a prefab company like Freshmark (GAG!). It was edible and just fine for a cheap meal (and it was pretty cheap), just not anything really memorable or grand.

I've stopped in there other times, but have never been impressed. I think the Fred Meyer deli case pastrami is just as good. And it ain't that good.

Besides, if I'm on Alki, you can bet my butt will be planted at a seat at Sunfish. That fried fish rocks.

-- Frank Bruni

I'm not an expert on this topic by any means. All I can tell you is that (a) I haven't heard about a new deli, and (b) I've never had pastrami or corned beef in Seattle that in any way compared to what you get at the better places in New York, like Katz's or 2nd Avenue. An exception, of course, for col klink's smoked corned beef, which is every bit as good but a different animal. Okay, it's the same animal. You know what I mean.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May