• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Old Fashioned Cocktail: The Topic

maggiethecat

FrogPrincesse - can't believe you haven't sprung for a bottle of the real stuff. There's a lot of magic in a bottle of Absinthe. It adds so much more complexity to a Sazerac than Pernod. There are a few Tiki Drinks that call for it too. It really brings on a whole new dimension in the nose and on the palate.

As always I enjoy your posts and photos!

• 2 weeks later...

FrogPrincesse - can't believe you haven't sprung for a bottle of the real stuff. There's a lot of magic in a bottle of Absinthe. It adds so much more complexity to a Sazerac than Pernod. There are a few Tiki Drinks that call for it too. It really brings on a whole new dimension in the nose and on the palate.

As always I enjoy your posts and photos!

Thanks Keith. You know what to get me for Christmas then! :wink:

I had a rum old-fashioned variation the other night with my new bottle of Havana Club 7. The Chet Baker by Sam Ross uses honey as the sweetener, a touch of sweet vermouth, and angostura bitters. It's a nice way to enjoy an aged rum. The Havana club 7 has a lot of caramel and a hint of spice and smoke. It's deep but not as heavy/assertive as Smith & Cross or a black strap rum. At least it does not resemble any of the dark rums I currently have.

8197771555_fca9f71bb3_z.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

After reading Chris' thread about the "Angostura & Absinthe Thing", I was inspired to have a Hendrick Cocktail, which is an Old-Fashioned with a drop of absinthe. A ton of spice in that drink. Adding the absinthe (pastis in my case) changed the mood of the drink quite a bit.

8279017145_3cc9482b01_z.jpg

• 11 months later...

After learning that Rumdood/Matt Robold was going to end his Sunday run at 320 Main, I was inspired to try his Jaunty Angle. It has a mix of demerara rum and rye as the base, with a touch of Chartreuse and gomme for the sweetener. Angostura aromatic and orange bitters.

It's supposed to be served neat a la Sazerac (oops), with an orange twist.

10971571986_5b25f54988_z.jpg

It's very intense and flavorful. Every sip is a little different so it's a very interesting cocktail. First it's all about the rye and Chartreuse, then the caramel and butterscotch from the rum become more pronounced towards the end.

Matt has detailed notes on his blog together with recommendations for the rum & rye combo.

• 4 months later...

I don't think this one got discussed yet, and I used to get it confused with the other tequila + mezcal OF from Phil Ward, the Oaxaca Old Fashioned (reposado tequila, mezcal, agave syrup, mole bitters).

Tequila Gumption with 1 oz each of reposado tequila and mezcal, 1/4 oz maraschino liqueur, 2 dashes Angostura bitters, and 1 dash orange bitters.

There is something very nice going on with this tequila + mezcal + maraschino combo, also seen in the Crafty and Elusive Elk (as a sour).

13572134844_22cc91ef9b_z.jpg

• Like 1

The Oaxaca is a favourite; now I'll have to try this one. Thanks, FP.

Got some more Mezcal this morning, too ...

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This one was a tad sweet but still very enjoyable.

Jubilee Street (Richard Boccato) with Van Brunt Stillhouse American Whiskey (Kings County bourbon), amaro Montenegro, maple syrup (scant barspoon; I would use 1/2 barspoon next time), St Elizabeth allspice dram. Replaced one semi-obscure boutique Brooklyn whiskey with another.

Roasted chestnut, chocolate, spice.

16300650158_0d18b9e9e4_z.jpg

It reminded me of another old-fashioned/sazerac variation with Montenegro I had at Craft & Commerce a while back - their DiMaggio cocktail with rye, Montenegro, demerara, absinthe. Also this one in the same vein.

Montenegro is surprisingly versatile. My bottle is half gone already.

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)
  • Like 1

This one was a tad sweet but still very enjoyable.

Jubilee Street (Richard Boccato) with Van Brunt Stillhouse American Whiskey (Kings County bourbon), amaro Montenegro, maple syrup (scant barspoon; I would use 1/2 barspoon next time), St Elizabeth allspice dram. Replaced one semi-obscure boutique Brooklyn whiskey with another.

Roasted chestnut, chocolate, spice.

16300650158_0d18b9e9e4_z.jpg

It reminded me of another old-fashioned/sazerac variation with Montenegro I had at Craft & Commerce a while back - their DiMaggio cocktail with rye, Montenegro, demerara, absinthe. Also this one in the same vein.

Montenegro is surprisingly versatile. My bottle is half gone already.

You are a braver than I am! Not sure I would be likely to purchase either of those young whiskies even if I had access to them. Seems like they might be pretty different in flavor though with the one you used being primarily corn according to the description and the one used in the original recipe being predominantly an unknown mix of malted barley and wheat.

Doesn't seem like either would put much punch in that drink though with both being relatively low proof. Is it pretty heavily maple in flavor despite the Montenegro?

• Like 1

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Not a purchase - this was a gift (I have great friends).

DrinkUpNY has this note about Kings County bourbon

Created with organic New York corn and malted Scottish barley, this young bourbon offers balanced notes of corn, oak, clove and caramel. Hints of smoke and sweet spice appear on the finish.

and this one about the Van Brunt.

Matured for five months in small American oak casks, Van Brunt Stillhouse American Whiskey is a four grain whiskey featuring the robust flavors of wheat and malted barley, backed by corn and rye. The result is a complex, full-flavored spirit offering notes of caramel, vanilla, dried fruit and peppery spice.

It was close enough for me. I was happy with the end result in any case. It would have been hard to tell in a blind test that there was maple or Montenegro in there, and I guess that's what I liked about the drink. The final flavor was unexpected and did not taste like the individual ingredients.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I ended up making a Fernet Old Fashioned, because you can never have too much of a good thing.

Fernet-Branca, simple syrup, Regan’s orange bitters, Fee Brothers’ whiskey barrel-aged bitters, orange peel garnish. I am craving one as I type...

16161141743_69052a0904_z.jpg

• Like 1

Last night was an Irish-whiskey based Old Fashioned variation, the Wild Rover (Jimmy Hillegas via Gaz Regan). 

I went with Redbreast 12 for the Irish whiskey, a barspoon of simple syrup (it was Monday and I could not be bothered muddling a sugar cube), and Miracle Mile toasted pecan bitters for the nut bitters. Lemon peel for the garnish because a lemon wedge felt wrong. Its creator mentioned that a flamed orange peel would work great as well.

Not too bad for a Monday.

21047946325_e44080c5e4_z.jpg

More Old Fashioned fun. This time I recreated the DiMaggio from Craft & Commerce, their Old Fashioned variation with rye, amaro Montenegro, and absinthe. I didn't have the specs and went with 2 oz High West Double rye, 0.5 oz amaro Montenegro, 6 spritzes St. George absinthe (using an atomizer), 1 barspoon simple syrup, and a lemon twist.

I really like this. The spice of the rye goes well with this amaro which is relatively mellow but very interesting. The cocktail reminds me of the Monte Carlo (rye + Benedictine + Ango).

21134912741_79af89ae3f_z.jpg

OMG I just looked at the current C&C menu and they have a new version of this drink - the Sadie Hawkins with rye, Montenegro, coffee liqueur and orange bitters. I am going to have to try that one. I am curious about the coffee & Montenegro pairing.

OMG I just looked at the current C&C menu and they have a new version of this drink - the Sadie Hawkins with rye, Montenegro, coffee liqueur and orange bitters. I am going to have to try that one. I am curious about the coffee & Montenegro pairing.

If you want to try it at C&C better hurry up - C&C will close next Tuesday and will be remodeled to be opened next year

If you want to try it at C&C better hurry up - C&C will close next Tuesday and will be remodeled to be opened next year

I know. :) That's what made me think of the DiMaggio last night actually.

• 2 months later...

I find that High West American Prairie Reserve bourbon makes a very nice Old Fashioned. I can't get enough of these lately.

This version uses Small Hand Foods gomme syrup with Miracle Mile forbidden bitters on the left, and toasted pecan bitters on the right. The pecan bitters feel right for fall, but the forbidden ones have a bit more kick to them and are more fun.

22040806883_d32275628e_z.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Walnut Old Fashioned (Johnny Swet) with High West American Prairie bourbon, Charbay black walnut liqueur, Regan/Fee/Angostura orange bitters. I went easy on the walnut liqueur and it was still a bit sweet. I think a couple of barspoons is all you need to get the full walnut effect.

22781324194_3504a9c985_z.jpg

• 1 month later...

The New Fashioned Old Fashioned (Jens Kerger via Gaz Regan) with Elijah Craig 12 bourbon, marmalade, The Bitter Truth xocolatl mole bitters, The Bitter Truth Jerry Thomas' Own Decanter bitters. I used homemade yuzu marmalade (that has a touch of Hibiki 12 in it, because why not...).

In the same vein as the Omar Bradley with the cinnamon smoke (aided by the bitters) making it spicy and smoky at the same time. It is pretty good although I got a lot of cigarette ash from the cinnamon.

24269920659_a377f5a929_z.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Clint Eastwood (Mike Ryan) with Michter's rye whiskey, green Chartreuse, Angostura bitters, demerara syrup (I used half demerara syrup half gum syrup).

Clint Eastwood (Mike Ryan via Robert Simonson via Frederic Yarm) with Michter's rye whiskey, green Chartreuse, Angostura bitters, demerara syrup #cocktail #cocktails #craftcocktails #oldfashioned #whiskey #rye

The generous dose of bitters (1 bar spoon, as much as the Chartreuse) was fun and actually less in-your-face than I would have imagined. Very good Old Fashioned variation, and I am falling more and more in love with the Michter's rye. 

Edited by FrogPrincesse
Typo (log)
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Improved whiskey cocktail with High West Double Rye!, Luxardo maraschino liquor, St. George absinthe, Creole & Peychaud's bitters.

This is great. I don't really enjoy this rye whiskey straight, but in this drink it is great.

25577145606_df1f1b2678_h.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

On a recent cruise out of New Orleans, our suite came with the unlimited beverage package. At lunch on a sea day, because I had been reading this thread recently,  I had the urge to order a Makers Mark old fashioned. I was pleased to see no trace of carbonation and I thought the flavor was just great.

HC

DSC01323.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)