• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Old Fashioned Cocktail: The Topic

maggiethecat

I am doing my best to avert eyes from this fruit salad... ! :D

A friend brought up to my attention an (unknown to me) Old Fashioned variation named the Godfather. With amaretto as the sweetener, it sounded a bit diabetic and I was concerned, so I proceeded with extreme caution. The ratios I used (from the Bartender's Choice) put my mind at ease because they went easy on the amaretto (there are equal parts recipes floating around!). I reduced it a bit further.

It was a wonderful drink! I was very pleasantly surprised. Not too sweet at all.

Godfather cocktail with High West American Prairie Reserve bourbon, Lazzaroni amaretto, Angostura bitters #cocktails #cocktail #craftcocktails #bartenderschoiceapp #bourbon #whiskey #amaretto

Godfather cocktail with High West American Prairie Reserve bourbon, Lazzaroni amaretto, Angostura bitters.

Then yesterday I was reading about Difford's new entries in the cocktail database which included a Smoked Almond Old Fashioned that is very much in the same vein, and that I would like to try soon.

• Like 1

Interesting; I've never thought of the Godfather as an Old Fashioned variation, but more in keeping with the (as you noted) "equal parts spirit and liqueur" tradition of the Rusty Nail or Black Russian. But I suppose they can essentially be seen as Old Fashioned variations! That said, my understanding was that the Godfather is properly made with Scotch whisky. I've very much enjoyed it that way in the past, though without bitters, so I'd encourage you to give it a try.

• Like 1

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

@mkayaharaI wouldn't have said that of an equal parts version, but the Bartender's Choice app has this cocktail in an Old Fashioned template - spirit (bourbon or scotch), small amount of sugar (1/2 oz amaretto which I reduced closed to 1/4 oz), bitters.

I am curious about the scotch version too! :)

• 3 months later...

Still on the lookout for an Old Fashioned I'd fall in love with (beyond the Oaxacan), but tonight's go was pretty good: 1 sugarcube, 3 dashes Bar Keep Chinese bitters, 3 oz. Bulleit rye, orange twist. 

Sugarcubes have a distinct retro appeal for me, though I usually regret not using simple syrup when I'm trying to get the damn things to dissolve. 

We keep the muddling, as it is a big part of the showmanship of the Old Fashioned but do away with the sugar cubes to guarantee a well mixed and consistent product.. We lightly muddle the orange peel with the bitters and simple syrup,  add ice and Whisky of choice.  Takes the orange to another level.

Gary

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Sherpa from Sasha Petraske's Regarding Cocktails with High West American Prairie bourbon whiskey, St. Elizabeth allspice dram, Pierre Ferrand dry curaçao, orange bitters. It's build in the glass and it's very direct. First it's mostly about the bourbon, then the allspice becomes more prominent as the ice melts.

The Sherpa with High West American Prairie bourbon whiskey, St. Elizabeth allspice dram, Pierre Ferrand dry curaçao, orange bitters #cocktail #cocktails #craftcocktails #bourbon #whiskey #regardingcocktails #sashapetraske

• Like 1