• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Old Fashioned Cocktail: The Topic

maggiethecat

Jeepers: no OFs since July? Gotta rectify that.

2 1/2 oz Inner Circle red

1/2 oz Cointreau

1/4 oz Cruzan blackstrap

2 dashes Regan's orange bitters

2 dashes Bittermens Xocolatl Mole bitters

I am in love with these Xocolatl Mole bitters....

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

There's a small distiller based in Waco of all places (otherwise famous for David Koresh and a Baptist university) that makes only two products, one of which is a minimally aged corn whiskey made from heirloom Hopi blue corn. I've taken to calling an Old Fashioned made with it and the JT Decanter Bitters an "Old Fashioned Old Fashioned". Quite an interesting drink.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

I'm working on an iteration of a rum old fashioned for our fall menu:

1.5 oz. Scarlet Ibis rum

1.0 oz. Smith & Cross Rum

4 drops Fee Brothers Whiskey Barrel Aged bitters

1 barspoon spiced simple syrup

Stir vigorously and strain into an Old Fashioned/Rocks glass.

Garnish with a flamed orange peel, rubbed on the rim, dunked in the drink and discarded after flaming.

This is a twist on a drink Nick Jarrett made for me over at Franklin Mortgage & Investment several weeks ago. I added the little bit of spiced simple just to get the autumn flavors into the glass and tone down the "rumminess" a hair. It's pretty tasty. I'll try and take a picture of one when perfected. Working on a name for it, but something simple like a Carribean Old Fashioned or something will likely end up as the moniker for this one. Unless someone has a better suggestion...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I was home working tonight...and feeling sorry for myself...and then I saw this topic and realized that an old-fashioned was the perfect nightcap for my current mood.

2oz Rittenhouse 100 rye

barspoon rich demerara simple (I was out of sugar cubes)

Fee Brothers Whiskey Barrel Aged Bitters

Orange twist

This is such a deceptively simple but awesome drink...

(and Katie, I'm totally coming by Oyster House for your version next week!)

Edited by mssurgeon81 (log)

Sarah Fernandez aka "mssurgeon81"

Philadelphia, PA

Sarah:

I'll make it for you (hell - I'll BUY it for you) if you reveal where you found the Rittenhouse bonded... :raz:

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Been playing around with a Death & Co twist on a Scotch old fashioned called the Bay City Roller...

2 oz Balvenie Doublewood (12 year)

+1/4 oz Averna

Barspoon Simple

Orange Peel

They use Asyla, so I imagine I could probably get away with cutting the single-malt with a bit of Famous Grouse or something. The Balvenie 12 makes my favorite Rob Roy, so I thought I'd give it a whirl in this. I think it works, especially if I remember Joaquin's tip not to over stir...this one doesn't have a big sweet spot, it goes from very tasty to flat quickly.

Edited by KD1191 (log)

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

1.5 oz. Scarlet Ibis rum

1.0 oz. Smith & Cross Rum

4 drops Fee Brothers Whiskey Barrel Aged bitters

1 barspoon spiced simple syrup

Stir vigorously and strain into an Old Fashioned/Rocks glass.

Garnish with a flamed orange peel, rubbed on the rim, dunked in the drink and discarded after flaming.

This is a twist on a drink Nick Jarrett made for me over at Franklin Mortgage & Investment several weeks ago. I added the little bit of spiced simple just to get the autumn flavors into the glass and tone down the "rumminess" a hair. It's pretty tasty. I'll try and take a picture of one when perfected. Working on a name for it, but something simple like a Carribean Old Fashioned or something will likely end up as the moniker for this one. Unless someone has a better suggestion...

Scarlet Ibis...a lot of it, 19th century drink paradigm, sounds like it might end up quite popular...

Scarlet Fever?

Just a thought. Naming drinks is way harder than inventing them.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

Working on a name for it, but something simple like a Carribean Old Fashioned or something will likely end up as the moniker for this one. Unless someone has a better suggestion...

Well, if you substituted in some brandy, you could call it "Between your Grandma's Sheets" :unsure:

In days gone by you could name it after a popular character of the day, but now you might get sued if you gave tribute to the Caribbean theme and called it the "Johnny Depp".

I'm not familiar with Scarlett Ibis. What's it like?

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

:hmmm: Delaware, eh? Might have to make me a trip over that border in search of. None in NJ - already tried that.

Host Note: A number of posts after this one were moved to a separate topic on the Aviary cocktail videos here

Edited by heidih
Add Host note (log)

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Hi all! This is my first post here, so do be kind...

Those are some awesome variations on the theme.

I'm from Louisville, Ky, and this is the verbal tradition- as given to me by the Maitre d' of the Pendennis. It gets no purer.

In a highball, muddle an orange slice and a cherry with 2 dashes Agnostura and a tsp sugar. Ice to fill. Add 2 ozs bourbon of choice. Empty into Hawthorne shaker. Shake 8-10 times. Strain over ice. Garnish with a lemon twist, if you must.

Foolin' around tonight on the Old Fashioned theme:

2 oz rye

1 oz Cherry Liqueur (Finger Lakes Distilling, quite dry and fresh)

1/4 oz Meletti

1 dash Angostura Orange

1 spiced cherry (homemade) and lemon swath for garnish

I enjoyed it. Also made one with Cognac, which was nice too. The Finger Lakes product is much dryer than, say, Cherry Heering, and much purer (less complex, more fresh-tasting).

Thanks for the inspiration.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

2 oz rye

1/4 oz Meletti

1 dash Angostura Orange

I enjoyed it. Also made one with Cognac, which was nice too. The Finger Lakes product is much dryer than, say, Cherry Heering, and much purer (less complex, more fresh-tasting).

Thanks for the inspiration.

You're doing it wrong. You're supposed to bash a place that isn't open yet.

-Josh

Now blogging at http://jesteinf.wordpress.com/

Saw this thread, and I'm so impressionable. Tonight's version was fairly basic--

Two dashes of Fee Bros. Bitters (angostura style) over about 1/4 tsp. turbinado sugar, selzer, 1.5 oz Knob Creek, two ice cubes, topped off with selzer, maraschino cherry. I like a slice of Seville sour orange as a garnish with the cherry but didn't have one handy.

You're doing it wrong. You're supposed to bash a place that isn't open yet.

The videos provoke discussion. Some positive, some negative. That's what they're intended to do and that's what's going on here-people giving their reactions to a video designed to provoke reactions. That they're not all completely positive is the chance you take when you put stuff out there like this.

Last night I was looking for something quick and easy to make. I usually turn to the OF for inspiration when I'm in that mood:

2oz Barbancourt 5 star

2 dashes Ango

1 t Giffard Banane de Bresil

lemon peel garnish

nunc est bibendum...

mixologists always seem to be seen as mad scientists and not rembrandts or wassily kandinskys.

I loved this. I sometimes ask myself the same thing, but in jazz terms: "why are so many people trying to be Art Tatum and not Jell Roll Morton." It's the same basic question: do you go with technique for technique's sake, or for musicality/aesthetics/whatever-it-is-in-mixing-drinks?

Or do you be Charlie Parker and blow the roof off the sucker by doing both. But there are many, many Sonny Stitts for every Charlie Parker.

aka David Wondrich

There are, according to recent statistics, 147 female bartenders in the United States. In the United Kingdom the barmaid is a feature of the wayside inn, and is a young woman of intelligence and rare sagacity. --The Syracuse Standard, 1895

And that should be "Jelly," not "Jell." I blame the gin.

aka David Wondrich

There are, according to recent statistics, 147 female bartenders in the United States. In the United Kingdom the barmaid is a feature of the wayside inn, and is a young woman of intelligence and rare sagacity. --The Syracuse Standard, 1895

2 oz rye

1/4 oz Meletti

1 dash Angostura Orange

That's similar to a drink our bar manager, Hannah Kirshner, created that's on our menu as Green Velvet:

2 oz Henry McKenna (or Bulleit)

1 oz Cherry Heering

2 dashes Fee's OF bitters

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

2 oz rye

1/4 oz Meletti

1 dash Angostura Orange

That's similar to a drink our bar manager, Hannah Kirshner, created that's on our menu as Green Velvet:

1 oz Cherry Heering

Had to pay bills tonight, so merged these 2 with;

2 oz Bourbon (house-vatted, don't recall constituents)

0.75 oz Cynar

0.5 oz Heering

2 dashes Peychaud's

1 dash Angostura

Very cool drink; thanks.

Long time lurker, first time poster. Made some vanilla syrup the other day and tried out an Old Fashioned variation that came out reasonably well, if maybe slightly out of balance with the vanilla.

2 oz Bols Genever

.25 oz Yellow Chartreuse

.25 oz vanilla syrup

2 dashes of Peychaud's

orange twist

Probably would lower the vanilla syrup down to a teaspoon, but the butteriness and herbalness of the chartreuse played nicely with the vanilla and Peychaud's, respectively. And ever since I was served a genever Sazerac at Death and Co. I've really enjoyed playing with genever in traditionally rye/bourbon drinks.

2 oz rye

1/4 oz Meletti

1 dash Angostura Orange

1 oz Cherry Heering

I try not to be too much of a purist about drinks, but I'm curious: at what point do these stop being "Old Fashioned Cocktails" and start turning into something else? I'm on board with the whole "plain, fancy, improved" thing, but those seem to involve only dashes of liqueurs. Once we get into a whole ounce of liqueur, doesn't it become another class of drink entirely?

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

I try not to be too much of a purist about drinks, but I'm curious: at what point do these stop being "Old Fashioned Cocktails" and start turning into something else? I'm on board with the whole "plain, fancy, improved" thing, but those seem to involve only dashes of liqueurs. Once we get into a whole ounce of liqueur, doesn't it become another class of drink entirely?

A Heering Old Fashioned?

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA