• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sauvignon Blanc recommendation sought

Bloated

Dagueneau makes Pouilly Fume. And you like that stuff? I would think it is too modern for you. I used to own some but it aged so poorly that I dumped it.

I don't know if "modernity" is exactly my problem with Dagueneau, but it's not far off. The style doesn't appeal, I'd rather drink Cotat, or Nigl for that matter.

Just checked the inventory and my Dagueneau supply is one bottle of '97 Pur Sang. I think you're right, time to drink up.

I used to drink that stuff in a different vinous lifetime if you know what I mean. Nowadays if somebody serves it to me, the bracing acidity mixed with the taste of fresh grapefruit hurts my teeth. I'm glad some people like it because that makes, well some kind of racing. And I have some '96 Cotats hanging around which are just terrific.

Haven't had the October 21st.  Is that a harvest date, or does it commemorate an important revolutionary date?  I like his wines. though i'd usually rather have something from the damned hill than Bue'.

These days I'm drinking Sancerre with pix of dogs on the bottle.

Off topic, what do you make of red Sancerre?  Personally, I think it's all a mistake--the stuff would all be better as rose.

yes, 21 october is the date of the harvest.

okay, dagueneau is trendy. with a name like silex, c'mon. and i never said they weren't oaky. not SFJoe's style, steve? aren't we talking about the loire?

steve, which cotat? francois? post some tasting notes the next time you open one.

RED SANCERRE ALWAYS DISAPPOINTS. every one i've tasted is made in this international style. no fruit, all caramel. where'd they get the money for the new oak? low acid. low acid! :angry: blech.

I got the Wither Hills SB 2002 because I couldn't find the Villa Maria Reserve SB when I went back. I also got the Wither Hills Pinot Noir 2001 but I would have preferred to have the 1999. Does anyone know a seller of NZ wines that as a matter of policy stocks more than one vintage?

PS- on the Australian front what do people think of Alkoomi Frankland River wines?