• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

cheep eats in south kens...esp SW7

Hi all:

Im going to be london in march, and Im looking to keep my eats cheep, do to, its going to be 3 people one is my sister in law and she is on a tight budget. I love SW7 and there are great pubs there, but is there any good cheep resturants there? I didnt like Dino's Italian or Seasons fish and chips, but they do have a good breakfast there. But what are some good places to go?

RB

Al Dhar II on the King's Road. Excellent takeaway style lebanese food. There is sufficient seating in the back and, for what its worth to you, they serve beer and wine (unlike many similar venues). The fresh juices are particularly good. If you are really looking to keep things cheap, order the sandwiches with a few appetizers and stay away from the platters. Most everyone else does anyway.

Thomas Secor

Rotisserie Jules on Bute st, off Old Brompton rd. 50 yds from South ken tube.

Best roast chicken in London. allow BYO at £1.50 per bottle, very friendly service.

I eat there approx 50 times a year and have done so for 4+ years.

May need tofight the local wine merchants in the area for a table! :biggrin:

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

Rotisserie Jules on Bute st, off Old Brompton rd.  50 yds from South ken tube.

Couldn't remember the name of this place in order to recommend to a friend -- thanks for the help, Scott!

Mmmm. Chicken and potatoes from Rotisserie Jules!

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

Rotisserie Jules on Bute st, off Old Brompton rd.  50 yds from South ken tube.

Couldn't remember the name of this place in order to recommend to a friend -- thanks for the help, Scott!

Mmmm. Chicken and potatoes from Rotisserie Jules!

:biggrin: mmm indeed...

perhaps best cheap eats in all of London town ???

I second Al Bustan. It has the best falafal in London by far. Another good place to eat that is reasonable is Le Pescadou on the Old Brompton Rd just west of Earl's Court Rd. It's about a 10 minute walk from the South Kensington tube stop. It's a Provencal fish restaurant with pretty authentic food for London. Also on the same block a few doors down is a reasonable pizza place/light Italian restaurant called La Papardelle.

perhaps best cheap eats in all of London town ???

'Fraid not. That's to be found at New Tayyab, Fieldgate St. Whitechapel. And there's NO corkage.

Tony,

it all depends on how good the food is... :biggrin:

Well it depends on how good the food is AND how cheap it is.

I have long trumpeted NT as the best price/quality ratio restaurant in London by some margin. It may not have the very best food in London, and it may not be the very cheapest restaurant, but for great food at ridiculously low prices nothing beats it.

Edited by Tonyfinch (log)

Scott I was at NT tonight. My wife and I had a portion of sizzling marinated tandoori lamb chops (4 chops) with onions, four sizzling seekh kababs (bursting with ginger and ajwan) , a portion of murgh channa (chicken and chickpeas) three tandoori rotis,unlimited salad and three cokes-the damage? £12.70

She caint be beat.

Edited by Tonyfinch (log)