• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sushi Yasuda

jaybee

raji, I've just gone bak and read your post on "omakase" in that other thread. Thanks. I enjoyed it very much and appreciate your more learned position on Japanese food and restaurants. I don't know that you've either confirmed or refuted my definition above, but I appreciated the insight in our post. I've spent just enough time in Japan, maybe eight or nine weeks over three trips, to begin to understand that there is more than a language barrier to my understanding the culture. There is the culture itself that sits on a very different base than that of any western European culture.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Thanks! Not trying to confirm or refute, but I'm going to try to answer your latest posts...

Moriawase is like a smorgasboord or variety, it's common to see, say, a kimchi moriawase at a yakitoriya which will get you 4 different kinds, or a yakitori moriawase which will get you a few skewers of many different kinds.

I think one cultural thing about Japanese that's being lost here is how inflexible they can be! Moreso in Kanto (east) than Kansai (west). They really do like to stick to the letter of the menu. Try asking for a dish or a cocktail to be prepared differently, especially in Japan. At the same time, it's America! Most left Japan for a reason. So, they're happy to take part in our American custom of tipping, and can be more flexible about preparation. Just strike a balance and everyone will be happy.

That said one of the few opportunities to order outside of a very well-maintained menu is at a sushi, yakitori or other counter where you are interacting with the chef and can ask omakase or for what they recommend (osusume). IF there is an omakase on the menu, or an osusume menu, it's probably based on what is fresh, inseason, and appropriate. For instance, the hottest day of the year it is customary to eat unagidon, or on NYE, soba, or on a hot summer day, hiyashichuuka. Now, doing this makes you more DENTOU (traditional) than your average Japanese, but if you want to, go for it!

But, it's not like knowing those few words will unlock a magical treasure trove of Japanese food, it just makes you another eccentric New Yorker. However, as I said in my other posts, I am available for rental if you'd really like to track down the good stuff, in Japanese if necessary. ;-)

I feel like so many people are intimidated by Japanese culture and cuisine, when the Japanese staff are probably just as intimidated by you. I'm sure many paisan have tipped of sushi chefs with their rolls of 20s, in fact I'll ask, and it's not like Godzilla and Mothra are going to swoop in if you do too. This is NY, money talks, BS walks. They didn't open restaurants in America to exclude Americans, and the dream of all owner-operators has always been to have Japanese nationals and foodies like yourselves eating their good food in harmony

The other thing about the sushi omakase is, when I haven't set a limit, I've probably had the best experience. Setting a limit can be a little bit of a buzz kill, but when "omakase" literally means "have your way", well, you probably want that gesture of trust that he isn't going to gouge you either. If you've eaten sushi as much as most people here, you should be able to stop the bleeding easily as necessary. And if your date keeps ordering the otoro, she's a gold-digger!

And if your date keeps ordering the otoro, she's a gold-digger!

:biggrin: funny you should say that, on a first blind date at at an expensive sushi restaurant my date went on and on about loving the finest things in life etc- wink wink "HEY BABE I'M LOADED!" so I ordered piece after piece of the most expensive cuts of fish on the menu, not one filler fish..just to see when he'd balk- to give him credit he didn't say anything but the looks he gave me were pure scorn (laced with pervy charm) when he left for the restroom, I payed the check. Left that date like a rockstar :cool:

Cant wait to try sushi yasuda! about how long will a meal run time-wise?

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

Boy, raji, I've really got to thank you for those great, informative posts.

You're welcome! I am also an unofficial Japanese cultural ambassador.

My history with our friends to the East dates back to my upbringing in Westchester when I was told by my school to mentor and orient all the incoming Japanese students...this was during the 80s when we were flooded by all the families getting rotated over here - many fond memories of some of the home cooking I got from my friend's mothers....

And if your date keeps ordering the otoro, she's a gold-digger!

:biggrin: funny you should say that, on a first blind date at at an expensive sushi restaurant my date went on and on about loving the finest things in life etc- wink wink "HEY BABE I'M LOADED!" so I ordered piece after piece of the most expensive cuts of fish on the menu, not one filler fish..just to see when he'd balk- to give him credit he didn't say anything but the looks he gave me were pure scorn (laced with pervy charm) when he left for the restroom, I payed the check. Left that date like a rockstar :cool:

Cant wait to try sushi yasuda! about how long will a meal run time-wise?

Great story!

The meal can run for as long as you have the appetite and wallet. When I was there for lunch we ran up a bill a little over $100pp in about an hour and a half to two hours if memory serves me right. It was awesome.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

After talking to some Japanese friends tonight, I'm going to reiterate NOT pushing the spending limit when you omakase at the sushi bar. Apparently to most, it's rarely done. When you are saying "omakase", it's like saying, I'm up for anything, whatever it is going to cost. This makes sense as the first I've heard of assigning a numerical limit to the omakase I've heard of in NY...

raji, the link on your website for the sushi "instructional video" is hilarious! i forwarded it to two of my half japanese friends. my half japanese friend who is a little more "american" thought it was hilarious...the half japanese friend who grew up in japan was more confused because she couldn't read the subtitles and listen to the japanese at the same time and didn't think it was as funny...of course, her sense of humor just isn't up to par with mine :blink:

You know, funny thing about that video. I think it most appeals to foreigners who have lived or had some experience with Japan. Not a single one of my Japanese friends would laugh along with this video, I think it pokes too MUCH fun at Japanese... There's enough truth in it that it's hilarious to me...

BTW the subs are an exact translation of the VO...

• 2 months later...
Looking to enjoy a meal a meal at Yasuda soon and was wondering how much omakase is running as of late.  I don't really want to spend more than $100 per person and was wondering if this was possible.  Is it easy to set a limit with the waitstaff or is it better just to order a la carte.

I just called the restaurant to put a money limit on the Master Yasuda experience and was told that this is not possible - we just have to tell the master when we are "full." :huh:

Indeed, this is how it was the first time I ate with Yasuda. But, at that meal, I wasn't paying and the sky was the limit. I would have to say that we had one impressive meal for around $120 p/person... so I would venture that I'd be okay just sitting down and eating with my guests with abandon - but I'm just a little afraid that it could get ugly after the bill comes...

Is it really possible to put a "limit" on a Yasuda experience? While I don't want to offend the Master, I also do want to make sure I don't walk out broke either.

Anyone actually done the "limit" request?

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I'd say there's ways to stop the bleeding and any sushi chef would take the hint. I mean if you order otoro repeatedly what do you expect. When I don't have an expense account handy or in mixed company, sometimes I'll get some tempura or something from the kitchen to help fill-up a little pre-omakase, but nothing that would disturb the palette. Or more maki and less sashimi. If you are an experienced sushi hand you know that ordering things like egg, salmon, some of the less expensive fish, making the more expensive stuff more of a luxury....

True... but as I recall from my meal (a year-and-a-half ago), we had some pretty luxurious stuff throughout (ie. we didn't skimp) and somehow we still made it out under $150 p/person. If that's still the case - then I wouldn't be worried... I'm just afraid it could get outa control as there's not "set price."

Last time, we had o-toro both on nigiri and in roll, we three types of eel, two types of squid, uni, ankimo, white king salmon, tuna, kampachi, hamachi, eel roll, and probably at least five or six other nigiri that i can't remember....

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Last time I went there we had an omakase and it worked out to about $150 pp. We probably went a bit more luxe. A lot the nigiri you mention aren't the types they charge extra for, so I think if you stay away from the real luxe stuff you'll be totally fine....

BTW I love Ankimo. So much.

Last time I went there we had an omakase and it worked out to about $150 pp. We probably went a bit more luxe. A lot the nigiri you mention aren't the types they charge extra for, so I think if you stay away from the real luxe stuff you'll be totally fine....

BTW I love Ankimo. So much.

... So, what are the uber luxe nigiri? Have you ever had Sawagani there?

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I think most of the seasonal and "specials" will be uber luxe vs. the regular menu...some of the more unique whitefish - always the upper grade toros, certain kanpachi, certain anago, will always be costlier... fresh mackeral and uni, usually there will be a special oyster on the menu, softshell crab....

I had Sawagani at Sugiyama..... yummmmmm

I think most of the seasonal and "specials" will be uber luxe vs. the regular menu...some of the more unique whitefish -  always the upper grade toros, certain kanpachi, certain anago, will always be costlier... fresh mackeral and uni, usually there will be a special oyster on the menu, softshell crab....

I had Sawagani at Sugiyama..... yummmmmm

Thanks raji.

1. Well, then it sounds like we went luxe with the o-toros, unique whitefish, kampachi, 3 anagos and fresh mackeral (I don't know that Yasuda serves not-fresh mackeral - or anything else :smile: ), uni (although I'm not sure it was optimal season) - and oh yes, forgot, we did have oyster. Don't remember softshell crab... hmmmm. I think I'll be okay with just eating at restrained leisure.

2. ...so, no sawagani at Yasuda? :sad: Boo.

3. Re: Ankimo. Yes, that was a special request by moi. I think it was what tipped Yasuda off that I was a little beyond "green" with sushi-eating. We definitely got more relaxed and personable service after that. The ankimo was simple, but oh-so-spectacular.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

... and another thing... I'm assuming the "avoid sushi on Mondays rule" doesn't apply to Yasuda?

u.e.

If it did, I'm at the top of the sucker list. Great lunch yesterday, if a little shorter than our dinners. (I just don't think our companion was as into sushi as we hoped.) There was uni from both coasts--Maine and California. Tiny squid, not much more than an inch long all stretched out were a treat. We asked him to include uni at Mrs. B's request and eel at the request of our companion, but otherwise put ourselves in his hands as usual. When our companion stopped eating, I asked if he had aji and he asked if we lliked oyster, so Mrs. B and I had two more pieces. My only complaint is that we had a late lunch reservation and I think the meal went a bit too fast.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Bux.

WONDERFUL!! I am so looking forward to returning to Yasuda - it's been WAY too long. I'm with Mrs. B on the uni-love... so I'm glad to hear he's well stocked up...

May I ask price point? I'm assuming it was different since you all had different portions...

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

When our companion stopped eating, I asked if he had aji and he asked if we lliked oyster...

That oyster is a must.

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy