• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Two New Asian Restaurants--Raleigh NC

ditsydine

(note:newbie here, I promise I did a search)

Has anyone tried Duck and Dumpling and Shabu Shabu in Raleigh?

I'm getting ready to try both in the next couple of weeks. A friend of mine was excited about Shabu Shabu not about the food,but they had "Catholic School Girl Night" for said waitresses! Guys! Granted he was a bit tispy when he told me this and god knows the source of his info..lol!

-----------------

AMUSE ME

• 2 weeks later...

Shaba Shabu is a fairly interesting concept and a highly stylized restaurant (as far as Raleigh is concerned). It's actually two restaurants in one: Japanese on one side and Thai on the other. You can't order Thai on the Japanese side and vice-versa. I've had lunch twice on the Thai side and ate sushi on the Japanese the other night. They do a pretty good job with their larb, although I believe they use too much lime and not enough nam plaa. Their sushi is pretty good, but you don't actually interact with the chefs at the sushi bar -- you still have to order through the waitresses in their plaid miniskirts and white knee socks -- very Catholic school girl, indeed.

The owners are trying very hard to bring success to a very run-down strip mall (of course, most restaurants in this area are in strip malls, aren't they?).

I haven't tried Duck & Dumpling yet, but its downtown location is promising. The chef previously ran a standard Chinese-American restaurant that was not noteworthy at all, but I have heard he's doing much more creative things at the new place. Please report back!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I have eaten at both places. varmint gives a good description.

I think Shabu is pretty darn good. When i heard the concept, I thought everything would be half-assed. It's not. I have eaten both sides and had excellent meals. I haven't had the fondu-ish looking deal on the Japanese side. I liked their Thai better than just about anywhere else in Triangle.

I think Duck and Dumpling is a disappointment. Good location, but food was underwhelming to me. Not bad--just nothing to make me want to go back. (Despite the fact that i consciously try to frequent downtown restaurants.)

My wife eats more asian food in raleigh than anyone i know. i'll see if i can elicit a comment or two from her.

don't know about cody's. never heard of it.

Well, unfortunately I now know all about Cody's. We went there for dinner tonight, and we won't be going back. The atmosphere is ok; although the place was pretty quiet. We had some fried dumplings for an appetizer--they were pretty good. Everything else was truly bad. The hot and sour soup had the right texture, but no flavor--no sweet and no sour. So, the overall effect was warm flavorless goop. Then I had a beef dish. It was breaded as if it was going to be fried, but it wasn't fried. so, it was sort of a mealey covered beef in a heavy sauce. The chicken dish was worse. Strange gingerish spice and undercooked chicken. We didn't really get anything to drink--mistake, maybe alcohol would have dulled my senses--and the bill was over $50. The menu was nothing interesting--basic Chinese food. It was not good. I predict the restaurant will close in less than 6 months.

my wife was so bent out of shape over the dinner (don't mess with her beloved chinese food) that she is sending the below letter to Cody's:

Dear Sir or Madam:

I am writing to express my extreme disappointment with the meal we had last night at your restaurant.

My husband and I live and work in Raleigh and go out to eat several times a week. I love Chinese food and was excited to hear about your restaurant. Last night, we decided to try Cody’s for the first time.

Our meal started with the chicken dumplings, which were actually good. However, we also ordered hot and sour soup (which ended up coming with our meals), Chicken Mala and Sesame Beef. The soup had no flavor and the chicken dish was undercooked and had a strange taste to it. The Sesame Beef, however, was truly horrible. The thick, mealy, breading on the beef, sopped in the sweet sauce, all of which were mounded on top of the tempura vegetables, was about the worse dish I have ever received in a restaurant.

While we ate very little of our soup or meals, our waiter (who was otherwise nice) did not bother to inquire why or if there was a problem. Just when things could not get worse, the bill came and we had to pay $50.00 for this unacceptable meal.

In closing, I had heard unflattering comments about your restaurant from two, different sources, prior to my visit, but wanted to try your food for myself. I wish that I had not. Surely, you will have to do something about the quality of your food if you are going to remain open for business.

Mrs. Zeb A is on the warpath!! You don't mess with her, I can say with confidence.

Zeb, what do you think the letter will accomplish? Why didn't you volunteer this information then, when you could show the proprietors the problem you were having? Keep us posted, as this is an interesting issue regarding how restaurateurs deal with legitimate complaints.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

She wanted to complain then. I was opposed.

My view is:

They didn't screw up. The food wasn't cold. They served what we asked for. It wasn't spoiled meat. It just wasn't good. So, tough luck for me. I bought something that was disappointing. I don't wan't my money back. I just won't ever go again. No big deal. No need to tell them because I don't think it can be fixed. It isn't like some minor flaw. It was bad food.

Her view is:

It was bad food, and they should have been told on the spot. I asked her why she was sending the letter, and I am still not sure I know why. I think it is because it was so bad, and she had such high hopes (downtown and Asian) that she wants them to know how disappointed she was. It isn't for the money, and I doubt she'd go back with a gift certificate.

Different strokes for different folks. I doubt the letter will accomplish anything.

Zeb--props to your wife, I appreciate a person who is moved to write a letter, a lot of people bitch and moan about stuff and don't take action. Good Asian food is hard to come by in the triangle, that is for sure.

Afterr my post I heard good things about Shabu-Shabu and then Duck and Dumping. My family is insistent upon taking me, so I'll report back in a few weeks with my review.

OT, but btw I was talking to an editor of the Independent this weekend, they informed me that they dont' have restaurant reviews b/c the publisher does not want to lose advertisers. How annoying.

-----------------

AMUSE ME