• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Huitlacoche

guajolote

Obviously, I have no idea what I'm doing here.  After quite a long time reading online, I riffed off of the most basic recipe.  I know it's not authentic, but it does taste good.  Literally, they pick up flavors like a mushroom (imo).  I gave my husband a taste and he deemed that "it was good, but a bit slimy".  I asked if he would like it better in an enchilada with chicken and he said that he would.   So, I'm cooling this off and then I'm going to freeze it.  It will be a fun treat in the middle of winter for sure.  

All in all, I had a good time experimenting.  I'd love to hear what I did wrong/right as I don't have any real life reference to go off of.

Here's a small pictorial:

photo 1.JPG

I picked another smut-less ear of Silver Queen to add in.  Wow, it's good.  You really don't even need to cook it.  But I digress....

photo 2.JPG

photo 4.JPG

photo 3.JPG

• Like 8

Oh how I envy those of you with fresh huitlacoche!  

The presentation I loved the most was when it was used as a simple filling in a crepe, maybe it had a bit of fried shallot and reduced with heavy crema??  

It was served in the La Capilla restaurant just off the main Jardin in San Miguel de Allende and when we visited there 6 summers in a row, it was always one of the first eateries we went to and I always ordered the huitlacoche crepes.  

• Like 1

Oh how I envy those of you with fresh huitlacoche!  

The presentation I loved the most was when it was used as a simple filling in a crepe, maybe it had a bit of fried shallot and reduced with heavy crema??  

It was served in the La Capilla restaurant just off the main Jardin in San Miguel de Allende and when we visited there 6 summers in a row, it was always one of the first eateries we went to and I always ordered the huitlacoche crepes.  

Oh nice!  Could you tell, were they the "younger" more white pods or the darker ones?  On mine the darker were kind of like empty shells...some of them anyway.  Not empty, but filled with like fungus dust if that makes sense.

My husband went out to our field corn to look today. I could pick a ton of "Mexican truffle corn" if I wanted to.  It's been a super wet year so I suppose that's why.  I read online that most corn fields have 5-10% of the crop turn to smut (sorry, that's what we call it 'round here  :biggrin: )

Edited to add:

My husband wants to try them in a beer batter and fried...like a fried mushroom.  I thought they would be great in a stroganoff......

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 1

The huitlacoche I ate in Mexico was mostly dark, with a few lighter specks mixed in...ratio estimate would be 90/10, dark to light.  I never saw it in the fields or on the husk.

• Like 1

The canned stuff is inky black and not at all as good as the fresh picked version. When my kids were little, they liked to poke the fresh  stuff and make it puff out what they called "devil dust."  And that is basically why they never got to take an ear to show and tell.  :biggrin:

• Like 1

The huitlacoche I ate in Mexico was mostly dark, with a few lighter specks mixed in...ratio estimate would be 90/10, dark to light.  I never saw it in the fields or on the husk.

Just to clarify...this was fresh, not canned.  When I bought it in the markets, it was already removed from the husk, and sold in baggies by weight.  

• Like 1