• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Homemade Marshmallows: Recipes & Tips (Part 1)

bripastryguy

i've been scouring this thread for info about vegan marshmallows, and although there are lots of tips, i haven't yet managed to come up with a good recipe! i have used emes gel, but now believe it is probably fish-derived rather than vegan, so no longer wish to use it. i have been using various combinations of agar agar, guar gum, xanthan gum and tapioca starch, and nothing has achieved any fluff or height! any suggestions would be most appreciated.

I've had no luck with the agar. I tried a few times then got too busy to try again. I used a fish gelatin that works well - but that won't work for you. If I have any luck in the future I'll post the results.

i've been scouring this thread for info about vegan marshmallows, and although there are lots of tips, i haven't yet managed to come up with a good recipe! i have used emes gel, but now believe it is probably fish-derived rather than vegan, so no longer wish to use it. i have been using various combinations of agar agar, guar gum, xanthan gum and tapioca starch, and nothing has achieved any fluff or height! any suggestions would be most appreciated.

I've had no luck with the agar. I tried a few times then got too busy to try again. I used a fish gelatin that works well - but that won't work for you. If I have any luck in the future I'll post the results.

i'm keen to try the original recipe, using marshmallow root. does anybody know of such a recipe? i found one, but it was very vague about quantities and method...!

i'm keen to try the original recipe, using marshmallow root. does anybody know of such a recipe? i found one, but it was very vague about quantities and method...!

I've been curious about that for years and the closest I've come to a recipe is this. I think the trick might be 1) climate, and 2) a hellova mixer.

re: how much gelatin is in a packet. I've just quickly scanned through this great thread so I don't know if this has been addressed already...in case it hasn't - I read in Cook's Illustrated (I think in the last year) that the amount of gelatin in every packet varies - Greatly! They went through LOTS of packets and every one had a different amount...I believe they also made a number of recipes and the results differed because of this. Therefore they advise that gelatin should always be measured.

btw...I've just recently discovered this site...how had I not known you all were here?! This is wonderful...and addicting! All I've wanted to do for the last couple of days is noodle about here...as one archive search leds to another thread to another to...'oh my, I NEED to read this one!'...'oh wait, what's this one? I've GOT to read this'...'now where was I?'... 'no, wait...THIS I've got to read right now' :wink:

Thanks to all of you for sharing and providing such an incredible resource. How DID we live without the internet? :laugh:

Lynne

Welcome Lynne! I go with .25 oz  to equal one package of gelatin.

Or 7 grams. :biggrin:

I've been using (danish) sheet gelatine, and it substitues gram for gram.

In the last batch I made, I replace the initial water and strwberry puree with fresh lemon juice, which made for quite a sharpish flavour, making it possible to eat lots more. They were very nice. I may try the same procedure with orange juice next. I envision lemon flavour dipped in white choc and orange flavour dipped in dark.....

I was wondering if anyone has any experience piping the marshmallow instead of spreading them? One could pipe them onto crackers, dip in choc and have a mallowmar of sorts

/Mette

Edited by Mette (log)

marshmallow

The author mentioned that if you can't find glucose, you can use cream of tartar or citric acid mixed into the sugar and water mixture.

This is interesting. I wonder if anyone has come across this or even tried this.

Glucose is expensive where I am. Cream of tartar could be a cheaper alternative.

Yay! After weeks of reading this thread and making batches and batches of marshmallows, I'm finally able to post messages!

I just have a few concerns about the mallows I've been making using nightscotman's recipe. They come out GREAT, but I've found that they have been getting "crunchy" after about a week and a half. They kind of re-crystalize after a while of keeping. :sad: I've been keeping them in a sealed plastic bag...is that bad? I want them to say soft and puffy longer!

These are a picture of my Peppermint Marshmallows...yum!

By the way...I live in an apartment and have no room for a stand mixer, so I've been using a kitchen aid artisan 7-speed handmixer and it works great. Rough on the arm though while I turn the bowl >_<

Edited: Because...somehow, I cannot figure out how to post photos.

Edited by KayDaisy (log)

"I bought both the red dip and the white dip."

- my husband on salsa and ranch dip

Yay! After weeks of reading this thread and making batches and batches of marshmallows, I'm finally able to post messages!

I just have a few concerns about the mallows I've been making using nightscotman's recipe. They come out GREAT, but I've found that they have been getting "crunchy" after about a week and a half. They kind of re-crystalize after a while of keeping.  :sad:  I've been keeping them in a sealed plastic bag...is that bad? I want them to say soft and puffy longer!

By the way...I live in an apartment and have no room for a stand mixer, so I've been using a kitchen aid artisan 7-speed handmixer and it works great. Rough on the arm though while I turn the bowl >_<

Welcome to eGullet! My marshmallows never lasted a week, so I can't comment on the crunchiness problem. They did get a little drier and firmer after a few days. What color are your marshmallows; they look pink. Thanks for the tip about the handmixer; who woulda thunk this would work. Bet it's good for developing arm muscles (better than a trip to the gym.)

Ilene

I just have a few concerns about the mallows I've been making using nightscotman's recipe. They come out GREAT, but I've found that they have been getting "crunchy" after about a week and a half. They kind of re-crystalize after a while of keeping.  :sad:  I've been keeping them in a sealed plastic bag...is that bad? I want them to say soft and puffy longer!

Welcome to eGullet! My marshmallows never lasted a week, so I can't comment on the crunchiness problem. They did get a little drier and firmer after a few days. What color are your marshmallows; they look pink. Thanks for the tip about the handmixer; who woulda thunk this would work. Bet it's good for developing arm muscles (better than a trip to the gym.)

Thanks so much for the welcome. That's a bummer about the short shelf-life of our marshmallows. I feel like they should last longer! :sad:

The marshmallows I made are pink and white swirl. I put a few drops of red food coloring in the mix right before I pour it and I swirl it around with a knife. They come out all pink and white marbly and VERY PRETTY. :biggrin: Actually, my whole reason for making marshmallows came from buying those fancypants ones from Whole Foods. They were selling the tiny trapeze brand, peppermint swirl and I was addicted to them. When I went to go back to get a second bag, they were out of them and tiny trapeze never responded to my emails, so I made my own instead and I must say, I prefer them!

Ya, the hand mixer works great, even though it's just a pain to hold it. That seems to be the only difference. I had never owned a handmixer, but I bought one to SPECIFICALLY make marshmallows and now I'm a bit out of control. My roommate is vegetarian and I tried to make them from agar agar but it failed miserablely. I had the same experience JustKay did with it not fluffing up. I did end up making him a very nice jar of marshmallow fluff instead. He was thrilled and made fluffernutter sandwiches.

Thanks so much for the welcome. That's a bummer about the short shelf-life of our marshmallows. I feel like they should last longer! :sad:

I don't really think they have a short shelf life. Mine got a little drier but were still very good after about a week. I guess I'm not sure how long you want them to last. Maybe somebody else can comment on the crunchiness problem. Mine never got crunchy.

What kind of flavoring did you use?

Ilene

[...]

I made two batches since Christmas- both in rainy conditions (humidity note) and both witha stand mixer, and neither has gotten stale or crispy!

I suspect your sugar solution temperature may not be coming to the correct temperature? Maybe something to do with your mixing? Doing this with a hand mixer sounds tedious :wacko:

I've even been doing staleness tests, as I like stale marshmallows... and can't get mine to harden! Even when stored out in the open, not covered. They do develop more of a subtle 'skin' but that's about it.

It seems that they age very nicely. My partner, when taste testing a 3 week old honey vanillia one said they had taken on a texture more similar to store bought ones.

flavor floozy

I think it would be nice if they lasted at least a couple of weeks. I used Peppermint Extract from Trader Joe's. They take on a weird texture after a week though like the sugar has gone back to its granulated texture. Very weird.

[...]

I made two batches since Christmas- both in rainy conditions (humidity note) and both witha stand mixer, and neither has gotten stale or crispy!

I suspect your sugar solution temperature may not be coming to the correct temperature? Maybe something to do with your mixing? Doing this with a hand mixer sounds tedious :wacko:

I've even been doing staleness tests, as I like stale marshmallows... and can't get mine to harden! Even when stored out in the open, not covered. They do develop more of a subtle 'skin' but that's about it.

It seems that they age very nicely. My partner, when taste testing a 3 week old honey vanillia one said they had taken on a texture more similar to store bought ones.

Maybe I AM doing something wrong :sad: The hand mixer IS tedious, but it's the only option I have right now spacewise. How hot do you get your sugar? I usually take it off somewhere between 240-244. The recipes vary how hot you're supposed to get it and I'm not sure what difference it makes. I have a nice digital candy thermometer though :biggrin:

You are cooking them to too high a temp. Only cook to around 236 or so. Higer is getting to hard ball stage. The sugar is crystallizing. A lower temp gives a few more seconds to work with the marshmallow before they set up.

You are cooking them to too high a temp. Only cook to around 236 or so. Higer is getting to hard ball stage. The sugar is crystallizing. A lower temp gives a few more seconds to work with the marshmallow before they set up.

Wow! Really?! Hm...I was wondering about that. A lot of recipes have BIG variations in temperature for the sugar. I will try again with the sugar on a lower temp. Thanks for your suggestion!!! :biggrin: I'll let you know how they last!

Edited by KayDaisy (log)

hi!!! i'm new to the post, but i'm really interested in trying to make champagne flavored marshmallows. has anyone tried this yet or know if it would even work? how much do you think i should attempt to add to a recipe?? thanks for helping a curious mind.... :raz:

Pastry PRincess

a day without love, laughter or dessert is a day wasted.

hi!!!  i'm new to the post, but i'm really interested in trying to make champagne flavored marshmallows.  has anyone tried this yet or know if it would even work?  how much do you think i should attempt to add to a recipe??  thanks for helping a curious mind.... :raz:

It seems easy enough to substitute the water amounts from the recipe with champagne.

ps- recipe in RecipeGullet, follow the vanilla variation's water amounts

Edited by McAuliflower (log)

flavor floozy

• 2 weeks later...

I had some time yesterday and finally had a chance to try the famous eG marshmallows. They more than lived up to my expectations. But I must confess, I channeled my inner Veruca (I want it now!) and in the name of experimentation (and indulgence), I didn't wait the full "drying" time before cutting into and tasting. Here are a few observations:

After about an hour, I cut a few bars off, cubed and coated them with the potato starch/powdered sugar mix. At this time, they were just about right, pillowy soft. Maybe a tad too soft.

After another hour, perfection. At this point, all the corners were still soft and they had just the right amount of spring.

I left a few bars out to test at the 4 hr mark and these were much drier around the edges and compared with the 2 hr marshmallow, I much prefer the earlier ones. I only made a half recipe (used 8 sheets of "silver" grade gelatin/sugar to 236) and ended up with a thin spread of marshmallow which barely filled my quarter sheet pan thus the shorter drying times. Next time, I won't try to fill the pan and have thicker marshmallows. Maybe add a peppermint swirl.

2 hour mini-marshmallows (they look a little fuzzy because I didn't knock all the powder off):

gallery_15459_985_55521.jpg

4 hour marshmallows:

gallery_15459_985_99488.jpg

Sorry, my camera focus is a bit off!

Sampled a few in a steaming mug of hot chocolate yesterday and this morning, too. I'm a convert. For not too much effort, homemade marshmallows are a wonderful treat.

Thanks!

N.

[edited to correct marshamallow timing]

Edited by natasha1270 (log)
"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

Ok so I experimented this weekend and made several batches of Champagne marshmallows, and they came out wonderfully!! I used nightscotman's recipe as a base, but altered it a bunch!

the champagne doesn't set as well as using all water, so i had to decrease the total amount of liquid in the recipe by a 1/2 cup. but i used Champagne in both parts of the recipe -- blooming the gelatin and making the sugar syrup. i also added some vanilla paste,to the second batch, which was a great compliment to the Champagne. finally, i used onyl 2 cups of sugar since Champagne already has a sweetness to it.

YUM-O!! they definitely tasted like Champagne! sorry I don't have any photos to post, but they look just like regular white marshmallows since the color is not altered. although, i wonder if they would be pink with rose Champagne....now that's another experiment.

Pastry PRincess

a day without love, laughter or dessert is a day wasted.

Ok so I experimented this weekend and made several batches of Champagne marshmallows, and they came out wonderfully!!  I used nightscotman's recipe as a base, but altered it a bunch! 

the champagne doesn't set as well as using all water, so i had to decrease the total amount of liquid in the recipe by a 1/2 cup.  but i used Champagne in both parts of the recipe -- blooming the gelatin and making the sugar syrup.  i also added some vanilla paste,to the second batch, which was a great compliment to the Champagne.  finally, i used onyl 2 cups of sugar since Champagne already has a sweetness to it.

YUM-O!!  they definitely tasted like Champagne! sorry I don't have any photos to post, but they look just like regular white marshmallows since the color is not altered.  although, i wonder if they would be pink with rose Champagne....now that's another experiment.

I'm glad you reported back with your results chefmoni... these sounds wonderful. Now I'm struck with the insane urge to make more marshmallows *right now*!

I have a bottles of cassis and framboise lambic in the cooler begging to be marshmallow-fied!

flavor floozy

I cannot believe it took me so long to check out this thread and try some homemade marshmallows! What a revelation these things are, no longer a simple add on to hot chocolate but absolute fluff heaven. I made nightscotsman's recipe, well half of it to give them a try. I went with the vanilla ones since this was a first time try and I have to say that the little bit of orange flower water in there makes a big diffrence. It's one of those things that no one knows what's in it unless they made them themselves, I will make sure to add it in all future marshmallow adventures.

Here are the finished cut morsels

gallery_5404_94_240898.jpg

and after munching on half of them with my 2.5 year old son I made the best Smore ever with bittersweet chocolate

gallery_5404_94_267093.jpg

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog