• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Homemade Marshmallows: Recipes & Tips (Part 1)

bripastryguy

KatieM (or somebody) can you save me from having to search 13 pages.... how much gelatin did you put with the 1 cup of water?

Thanks ever so much!

It's HERE

Ahh, a blessing! Thanks so much! I'm making Triple Ginger Cookies from www.howthecookiecrumbles.com and thought these would be good to. The ginger & spice has been my flavor of the season :biggrin: These sound delicious!

Has anyone tried using organic rice syrup instead of corn syrup? I'd like to make organic treats, and brown rice syrup is easier to find in organic than corn syrup.

My husband and I made our first batch of marshmallows the other day following the French Laundry recipe, substituting with the brown rice syrup. The result was more gelatinous and had a strong rice syrup flavor. They were not very good. I looked around and could not find much about the difference between the two syrups. I do know that Tiny Trapeze makes a wonderful marshmallow using rice syrup. Any thoughts would be great appreciated.

Thanks!

I found this thread AFTER making my first batch last night. I"m using them as part of a cocoa gift for some office mates, I did the vanilla version with 1 tsp extract and seeds from 1 pod and they turned out yummy. Not as fluffy as I expected but I will play with it.

Someone early on mentioned a saffron version which sounded interesting. I"m really new to this cooking/baking/kitchen malarky and not comfortable with substitutions just yet. Can anyone give me a vague idea how I might use the saffron in the marshmallow recipe?

And here's my awful confession that will likely get me kicked out...I kinda like the sugar pellet marshmallows in cereals like Lucky Charms [shame]. Would I need to find a way to dehydrate marshmallows to get that consistancy or is that something best left to the cereal companies?

Some photos...

Slicing and Dicing

marshmallowflats.jpg

Smooshy Love

marshmallowcloseup.jpg

"Vegetables aren't food. Vegetables are what food eats."

--

food.craft.life.

The Lunch Crunch - Our daily struggle to avoid boring lunches

Thanks to bicycle_lee for starting this thread ... been searching high and low for a working marshmallow recipe and everyone seems to love nightscotman's recipe (thanks Neil for sharing). Not a candy maker and using candy thermometer is of course alien to me, lol ... but I've followed everyone's post and love how friendly and generous everyone is with their experience and knowledge, err could anyone tell ... this is my first time posting here?

Anyway, thanks again everyone especially Neil for his recipe (i love the idea of fudgy chocolate mmallows and also those coconutty ones oh and those caramelly too) and JustKay for willing to sell them to me, lol ... I'm finally gonna get my hands on halal marshmallows not of my own hand making, heh. Nope not tried the recipe yet, too scaredy cat I am. Someday I will, and certainly read all the posts again b4 I do; but for now I'm just enjoying 'being' here and drooling in anticipation for when JustKay agrees on a 'date' for me and her marshmallows, heh.

Thanks to the management for allowing me to participate.

For anyone having a hard time looking for certified HALAL gelatin I can help you buy marine based Halal gelatin. I've been using it to make marhsmallows ever since, and I haven't had any complaints about any off-taste or fishy-taste. I also use it in making fondant. It substitutes measure for measure in any recipe. If you need the help, just send me a PM.

Edited by JustKay (log)

Someone early on mentioned a saffron version which sounded interesting.  I"m really new to this cooking/baking/kitchen malarky and not comfortable with substitutions just yet.  Can anyone give me a vague idea how I might use the saffron in the marshmallow recipe?

Assuming you start with the vanilla recipe...

Don't bother with the vanilla. Infuse the water used with saffron, by boiling the water with the saffron and letting it steep awhile before removing it and make the marshmallows as usual.

You'll probably have to tweak it some to get the result you want.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

• 2 weeks later...

I had fun making a batch of Neil's strawberry with my new Kitchen Aid. And have some good tips to report:

- Rice flour works well in lieu of potato starch.

- Also, I flavored the dusting powder by making fruit dust to add to the powdered sugar/rice flour mix. Added a cup of freeze dried berries to food processor with the rice flour and powdered sugar. Makes the dust a wonderful pink with a touch more flavor. I only had freeze dried raspberries on hand- which I used with strawberry marshmallows- next time I want to do strawberry dust!

gallery_36048_2321_2361.jpg

chocolate dipped with a smidge of fruit dust. The contrast between the soft marshmallow and the crisp chocolate on a half dipped square is interesting. I think dipping it whole in white chocolate, then half in dark would be great. :wub:

flavor floozy

"Added a cup of freeze dried berries to food processor with the rice flour and powdered sugar"

Excuse me for the dumb question..but what are "freeze dried berries"?? Just frozen berries ...??

"Added a cup of freeze dried berries to food processor with the rice flour and powdered sugar"

Excuse me for the dumb question..but what are "freeze dried berries"??  Just frozen berries ...??

no no no... they are dehydrated berries.

So dehydrated that they are crunchy... cheetos consistency :smile:

The brand I have familiarity with is the "Just Tomatoes, etc", website here.

They crumble really easy since they are so brittle dry, hence the fun applications making fruit dust.

flavor floozy

Your marhsmallows look beautiful and delicious! I dipped some plain (vanilla) marshmalloows in bittersweet chocolate for a new years party and I loved the contrast the crunchy chocolate gave to the soft interior. also, I think the chocolate balanced the sweetness. I can't wait to make fruit flavored marshmallows, because I found the vanilla ones to 'plain' tasting without the coating :o)

All this talk about chocolate dipping has me wondering if homemade Mallomars :wub: could be a possibility...

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

here for a picture)...add a decent cookie to the bottom of those suckers and you'd have a Mallomar!

[HOMER] Mmmm...homemade Mallomars! [/HOMER]

You mean you haven't made any yet? :smile:

(I studdied the whole thread!)

I remember having mallomar like cookies with a smidge of raspberry jelly between the cookie and the marshmallow!

I have to admit, homemade Mallomars in various flavors are begging to be made!

... like passionfruit marshmallow on top of a coconut cookie covered in white chocolate...

:drool:

flavor floozy

My dipping technique leaves alot to be desired, but they tasted good anyway. Strawberry marshmallows on the bottom and vanilla rolled in graham cracker crumbs, dipped in chocolate, on top.

gallery_18120_2331_39661.jpg

Ilene

My dipping technique leaves alot to be desired, but they tasted good anyway. Strawberry marshmallows on the bottom and vanilla rolled in graham cracker crumbs, dipped in chocolate, on top. 

How did you get the graham cracker crumbs to stick? I tried it once and they all felt off :sad:

How did you get the graham cracker crumbs to stick? I tried it once and they all felt off :sad:

Really? I wonder why. The surface of the marshmallow is very sticky. I cut the slab in cubes and dredged them a few at a time in a bowl of crumbs. The crumbs stuck without any problem. I did not first roll them in the xx sugar/potato starch mix as I did with the strawberry marshmallows.

Ilene

i've been scouring this thread for info about vegan marshmallows, and although there are lots of tips, i haven't yet managed to come up with a good recipe! i have used emes gel, but now believe it is probably fish-derived rather than vegan, so no longer wish to use it. i have been using various combinations of agar agar, guar gum, xanthan gum and tapioca starch, and nothing has achieved any fluff or height! any suggestions would be most appreciated.

I had a lot of fun with the recipe here, thanks for all the advice everyone. As more and more people played with this, it took on a life of it's own, don't ya think?? I mean, I for one, put in an inordinant number of hours thinking about and making marshmallows for gifts...flavored and dipped, rolled, paired with hot chocolate, etc.

Now I have a reason to make them for Easter as well. I found an herb farm via The Herb Companion mag. that specializes in mints. They are propagating a mint called 'marshmallow'... I'm thinking a double marshmallow mint marshmallow. I'll get the mint first and see just how marshmallowey it is first! Another experiment! this thread's gonna live forever!!!

Sorry, I got carried away.

I had a lot of fun with the recipe here, thanks for all the advice everyone. As more and more people played with this, it took on a life of it's own, don't ya think?? I mean, I for one, put in an inordinant number of hours thinking about and making marshmallows for gifts...flavored and dipped, rolled, paired with hot chocolate, etc.

Now I have a reason to make them for Easter as well. I found an herb farm via The Herb Companion mag. that specializes in mints. They are propagating a mint called 'marshmallow'... I'm thinking a double marshmallow mint marshmallow. I'll get the mint first and see just how marshmallowey it is first! Another experiment! this thread's gonna live forever!!!

If you haven't already, you should look through Wendy's blog to see her marshmallow carrots, etc. for her Easter themed sweets buffet.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

If you haven't already, you should look through Wendy's blog to see her marshmallow carrots, etc. for her Easter themed sweets buffet.

Thanks! I will!

Mintmallows!!

I can't wait to hear all about this.

And for Beanie, who rolled her marshmallows in graham crackers and then dipped them in chocolate......

You totally made my night! I was squealing with delight over the pictures!!

Patti Davis

www.anatomyofadinnerparty.com