• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Homemade Marshmallows: Recipes & Tips (Part 1)

bripastryguy

Patrick, with how serious of a baker you are and are becoming I highly suggest you consider investing in some compounds and the Boyajian line of oils. I really think you'll go crazy for what you can achieve with these better products. The stuff in the grocery stores is night and day different then what a good compound or oil can give to your product.

I used orange compound in the carrots I did and it was really good tasting. I also used your strawberry cake recipe and used strawberry compound in place of the jello and the flavor is great, I know you'd love it!............ I know it's not always easy to buy everything you want.........but I really think you'd get excited over what you can do with those items.

Wow, what beautiful marshmallows, Wendy. Did you dip them in powder first before piping the outlines? I wonder if the chocolate was able to stick onto the marshmallows if it had powder on top.

I made the strawberry marshmallows again and this time substituted in 1/2 cup dark corn syrup and the rest light corn syrup and got a nicer color. The marshmallows had a deeper pink color. There was no difference in taste.

Edited by maxmillan (log)

Martha Stewart had one last December and I tried it and it worked fairly well (could have been a little lighter, but good flavor). You might be able to find it on her website, and if you can't find it there, e-mail me and I'll hunt through my old stack of cooking mags for it.

Sophie

S. Cue

"Did you dip them in powder first before piping the outlines?"

I actually use as little xxxsugar and cornstarch as possible. On the bottom of my pans I only spray them I don't powder the pan. You don't really have to use powder at all on the top or bottom, the only part that remains sticky is the sides....so I dust them a little so if they bump together they won't stick.

If you have excess powder it would prevent the chocolate from adhearing well.

Thanks for reporting back how the dark corn syrup worked!

Thanks for the advice, Wendy. I'm checking out prices on flavor compounds and oils. I'm browsing through Boyajian, Amoretti, and other manufacturer sites. I see lots of products I'm interested in trying out.

Here's some pics of the banana marshmallows I made the other night. I'm posting them now because I didnt have my camera yesterday. They really are good, though I'm eager to try again with a better flavor agent. They could also use some more color.

gallery_23736_355_13403.jpg

gallery_23736_355_10617.jpg

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Thanks for the advice, Wendy. I'm checking out prices on flavor compounds and oils.  I'm browsing through Boyajian, Amoretti, and other manufacturer sites. I see lots of products I'm interested in trying out.

Here's some pics of the banana marshmallows I made the other night. I'm posting them now because I didnt have my camera yesterday. They really are good, though I'm eager to try again with a better flavor agent.  They could also use some more color.

Very nice ´mallows ! Would you share your recipe ?

Thanks for the advice, Wendy. I'm checking out prices on flavor compounds and oils.  I'm browsing through Boyajian, Amoretti, and other manufacturer sites. I see lots of products I'm interested in trying out.

Here's some pics of the banana marshmallows I made the other night. I'm posting them now because I didnt have my camera yesterday. They really are good, though I'm eager to try again with a better flavor agent.  They could also use some more color.

Very nice ´mallows ! Would you share your recipe ?

Yeah, I used Neil's (aka Nightscotsman's) recipe, which is posted on the 9th page of this thread, post #267. Basically I used the vanilla variation, except I used about 3.5t of banana flavoring instead of vanilla extract, and added some yellow gel color. Also, instead of coating the marshmallows with potato starch and sugar, I lightly rubbed them with a little canola oil. For some reason, I really dislike the chalkiness from from the powder.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

gallery_23736_355_13403.jpg

gallery_23736_355_10617.jpg

These are beautiful!

S. Cue

• 1 month later...

wow :shock:

ok, after ready, reading, reading some more and being totaly convinced that no matter what these things would not work for me, I gave in, had to try it.

clearly fate as I bought a cookbook in a charity shop today, with a marshmallow recipe...

I've made two batches so far, a peppermint one and a spiced version (cardamon, cinnamon, cloves)

my question is, how to add diffrent flavours?

the recipe is a whipped whites one

450g sugar boiled with 200ml water to hard ball stage

to that add 25g gelatin disolved in 100ml water + flavouring of choice

pour slowly into 2 egg whipped whites

whip until fluffy and increased in volume

flavouring of around 2tsp peppermint extract/1tsp spice mix worked fairly well, but how would I add puree to this recipe without messing up the amount of water overall?

I'm going to be trying more out tommorow, planning a saffron and honey version, I'm infusing saffron strands in the honey overnight (warmed the honey slightly) and will just add a few spoons when it's time to add the gelatin/flavouring.

I'm guessing also that instead of boiling the sugar in water I could use fruit juice or perhaps a mix of juice and water, but I'm not sure.

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam

as for adding flavors, I would add any dry ingrediants (spices, vanilla beans, instant espresso powder), extracts or flavor compounds towards the end of the final whipping process. I feel the natural oil in spices breaks down the marshmallow and makes it a little too soft.

Also, you can make a honey flavored marshmallow using a similar recipe

240 g whites

20 g gelatin

360 g sugar

40 g honey.

I would caramelize the honey to intensify the flavor. Add the sugar, cook with water to 155 C. pour into whipping soft peak whites

You can substitute fruit purees for water. I've made great raspberry flavored ones.

In case anyone has missed it, this is Neil's recipe posted/linked to from page 1 of this discussion:

"Strawberry Marshmallows"

It also includes two variations: Chocolate and Vanilla.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I tried a different, natural banana flavoring (Frontier brand), and I'm happy to report that the flavor is much better. Whatever that "something" was that turned me off the last flavoring, it is not present this time. The flavoring I used is mixed with canola oil, but that doesn't seem to have affected the texture in any adverse way. I ended up using 2t, and I added it towards the end of the whipping rather than at the very beginning.

gallery_23736_355_5635.jpg

I've just been through all 11 pages and was wondering if anybody had any success with the agar agar??

I've never used gelatin - kosher reasons. I've looked for the Emes brand, and 'truth' be told, can't find it. I just placed an order for some stuff with Eden foods and they had kosher agar agar so some is on the way. Will it work or would I be wasting my time?

• 3 weeks later...
I've just been through all 11 pages and was wondering if anybody had any success with the agar agar?? 

I've never used gelatin - kosher reasons.  I've looked for the Emes brand, and 'truth' be told, can't find it.  I just placed an order for some stuff with Eden foods and they had kosher agar agar so some is on the way.  Will it work or would I be wasting my time?

If I recall correctly, someone did make the marshmallows with the agar agar and said that the texture was a touch different, but not much difference in the taste.

I know this an incredibly long thread, but I'm sure that this is addressed somewhere.

I just made some vanilla marshmallows for a friend after she begged - they are so good!

Patti Davis

www.anatomyofadinnerparty.com

I've never used gelatin - kosher reasons.  I've looked for the Emes brand, and 'truth' be told, can't find it.  I just placed an order for some stuff with Eden foods and they had kosher agar agar so some is on the way.  Will it work or would I be wasting my time?

If I recall correctly, someone did make the marshmallows with the agar agar and said that the texture was a touch different, but not much difference in the taste.

I know this an incredibly long thread, but I'm sure that this is addressed somewhere.

I just made some vanilla marshmallows for a friend after she begged - they are so good!

Pam,

I was wrong. I just searched the site and here is one of the posts regarding agar:

I haven't tried agar in marshmallows, but I have heard people complain that it doesn't set up well. Also, I find that agar sometimes contributes an off flavor unless the other ingredients are strong enough to hide it. (I wasn't so happy with Agar panacotta, but stronger flavored fruit-based jellys were fine). Kojel or other vegetable-based gelatin seems to be more popular. Here's a recipe I bookmarked a while ago...most recipes I've seen seem to be a variation on this.

If you would like to read all the posts regarding agar, click on search and type in agar agar - that will take you to all the discussions regarding this ingredient.

I really hope you try the marshmallows - they are heavenly.

Wendy - I am blown away by your creations! They are incredible!

Patti Davis

LoveToEatATL - Thanks for the response. I actually came upon this thread when I did a search for agar agar. Then I read the whole thing and I guess I was just hoping that somebody else had tried using it and found that it worked well :smile:

Although in the end, my shipment from Eden was missing the agar agar - so it'll have to wait for the next order - unless somebody can tell me where to get a hold of Emes gelatin.

LoveToEatATL - Thanks for the response.  I actually came upon this thread when I did a search for agar agar.  Then I read the whole thing and I guess I was just hoping that somebody else had tried using it and found that it worked well  :smile:

Although in the end, my shipment from Eden was missing the agar agar - so it'll have to wait for the next order - unless somebody can tell me where to get a hold of Emes gelatin.

Pam,

I googled it for you - you can order online!

Emes Gelatin online!

Patti Davis

• 1 month later...

I had my first crack at these this weekend. They are unbelievably simple and are drawing many perplexed looks at the office that you can actually make marshmallows similar to what others have mentioned. I made one batch of raspberry and one vanilla. While I like the berry, the vanilla is fabulous. Just after cutting them yestarday they had a subtle strange taste that has disappeared today. Thanks Neil!

Made Neil's recipe yesterday for a plated dessert ( "s'mores" like) and it came out beautifully. I'm going to try making the chocolate ones and roll the cut edges in toasted coconut for a petit four.

I made banana marshamallow a couple weeks ago. Just replaced the strawberry with banana puree (important to puree just before you need it so it doesn't turn brown). Coated with unsweetened toasted coconut. Nice. Also good piped into a silicone dome mold and mini chocolate cupcake inserted like a "Snowball".

I made banana marshamallow a couple weeks ago. Just replaced the strawberry with banana puree (important to puree just before you need it so it doesn't turn brown).

By this do you mean you soak the gelatin in just water and puree and add banana just before adding the hot sugar?

I made banana marshamallow a couple weeks ago. Just replaced the strawberry with banana puree (important to puree just before you need it so it doesn't turn brown).

By this do you mean you soak the gelatin in just water and puree and add banana just before adding the hot sugar?

Yes. Add the 4 packs gelatin to 1/2C water. Get your syrup started. As your syrup gets close to temp, puree the banana and add it to the gelatin, then mix in the syrup.

Yes. Add the 4 packs gelatin to 1/2C water. Get your syrup started. As your syrup gets close to temp, puree the banana and add it to the gelatin, then mix in the syrup.

Thanks. I liked the vanilla much better then the raspberry batch I made last weekend but banana strikes me as a great marshmallow flavor for whatever reason.

• 1 month later...

Nightscotsman and Kew have made me a legend with my new marshmallow skills.

I would like to make chocolate covered marshmallows on a stick. Would I freeze the marshmallows first and then dip them?

Patti Davis