• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Homemade Marshmallows: Recipes & Tips (Part 1)

bripastryguy

Hi

I know she was trying to compliment me on my marshmallows. She rarely bakes or makes anything from scratch so I doubt she realized the aim is to improve on store bought not recreate it LOL. If there is a campfire tomorrow night, I will bring and share my latest batch. Well, off to make pie crust(my latest obsession) for apple pies.

Sandra

Now why didn't I think of that??  I use the damn pizza cutter for everything! ;)

Thanks for a marvelous suggestion!

Made the strawberry version yesterday and they turned out perfectly! Thank you for the recipe! This pizza cutter idea was great - I have a non-stick pizza cutter and it worked very well, only requiring 1 recoat of vege spray. Thanks for all of the tips here!

HI

2 questions..

1. I've been thinking of making coffee marshmallows. Has anyone else tried it? Do you think that replacing the puree with the same amount of espresso would be too much?

2. Regarding honey marshmallows.... Do you think I could just replace some of the corn syrup with honey?

Thanks

1.  I've been thinking of making coffee marshmallows.  Has anyone else tried it?  Do you think that replacing the puree with the same amount of espresso would be too much?

That actually sounds like a good idea. Not sure if the espresso would be too strong, though. You'll probably have to experiment a couple times to get the flavor you want. You could also try a couple teaspoons of instant espresso powder added to the plain vanilla recipe.

2.  Regarding honey marshmallows.... Do you think I could just replace some of the corn syrup with honey?

To get a good honey flavor, I would replace all the corn syrup with honey. However, since honey is sweeter than corn syrup (and actually sweeter than sugar), the resulting marshmallows may be very sweet. Maybe try replacing some of the sugar as well as some of the corn syrup? If you do try using honey, make sure to use a large pan to boil it it - honey has a lot of inpurities that will cause it to bubble up dramatically.

2.  Regarding honey marshmallows.... Do you think I could just replace some of the corn syrup with honey?

To get a good honey flavor, I would replace all the corn syrup with honey. However, since honey is sweeter than corn syrup (and actually sweeter than sugar), the resulting marshmallows may be very sweet. Maybe try replacing some of the sugar as well as some of the corn syrup? If you do try using honey, make sure to use a large pan to boil it it - honey has a lot of inpurities that will cause it to bubble up dramatically.

I've made the marshmallows before by just replacing the corn syrup with honey. In fact, I've done this ever since I exhausted the corn syrup from the pantry as I didn't want to buy that sort of thing. The honey flavor isn't overwhelming and the marshmallows can still take on other flavors. I like cardamom.

Two points:

1) Has anyone tried making peppermint marshmallows? With Autumn/Winter coming, I'm thinking they would be incredible in hot cocoa.

2) For AlainV and your chocolate dipped marshmallows (click here for a picture)...add a decent cookie to the bottom of those suckers and you'd have a Mallomar!

[HOMER] Mmmm...homemade Mallomars! [/HOMER]

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

We made some pumpkin marshmallows this week, using canned pumpkin pie mix and Emes vegetarian gelatine. We did have to whip it longer than most other mallow formulas we make. The pumpkin pie flavor comes through nicely. They turned out so well that we're offering them out front to folks who buy a cup of chai. We've also got a local apple farmer who can make fresh cider for us (we'll have to pasteurize it ourselves), and we think that would go great with the pumpkin mallow.

Regarding the Emes gelatine. We now use it exclusively because it gives us a firmer confection that is much easier to handle and cut (we use a guitar). And because it makes the vegans happy.

Cheers,

Steve Smith

Glacier Country

I was in Vermont recently and picked up a gallon jug of maple syrup. I like the idea of a maple marshmallow - any experience/suggestion substituting maple syrup for corn syrup/glucose? A colleague suggested adding some glucose to the maple syrup to keep it from crystallizing but that's about as much help as I've got so far.

TIA,

Clay

Clay Gordon

president, pureorigin

editor/publisher www.chocophile.com

founder, New World Chocolate Society

2)  For AlainV and your chocolate dipped marshmallows (click here for a picture)...add a decent cookie to the bottom of those suckers and you'd have a Mallomar!

[HOMER] Mmmm...homemade Mallomars! [/HOMER]

Is Mallomar the same as these flødebollers? Thanks so much, Tolliver, for reminding me of that....had wanted to try that for a long time, but, marshmallows were hard to come by....until NOW! Doing the happy dance!

Edited by TP(M'sia) (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

I tried coffee marshmallows a few days ago, just by reducing down some regular coffee and adding it instead of the vanilla. The flavor was there, but very subtle. I'm going to try again, though - I can't get enough of experimenting with these!!

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, mallomars! Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Patti Davis

www.anatomyofadinnerparty.com

Is Mallomar the same as these flødebollers? Thanks so much, Tolliver, for reminding me of that....had wanted to try that for a long time, but, marshmallows were hard to come by....until NOW! Doing the happy dance!

Here is a picture of the Mallomar box with pictures of the cookies on it.

The cookie you linked to looks quite similar.

I can only imagine how great tasting a homemade Mallomar would be!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I made some cinnamon marshmallows the other day, and they are WONDERFUL in hot apple cider. As Neil said, you really don't even have to spice the cider, since the marshmallow does it for you. Incidentally, all varieties of these marshmallows dissolve beautifully in hot liquid. I sent a bunch of these in a care package to my little sister who is in her first year in college. First, because it was a nice thing to do, but also because I'm curious about how they hold up in shipping.

I'm working on some pumpkin marshmallows for Halloween. I think I'm going to use a round petit four cutter and make little jack-o-lanterns out of them by piping a bittersweet chocolate jack-o-lantern face on them. Something fun and interesting to take to a Halloween party I guess. I'll let you know how they turn out.

"First rule in roadside beet sales, put the most attractive beets on top. The ones that make you pull the car over and go 'wow, I need this beet right now'. Those are the money beets." Dwight Schrute, The Office, Season 3, Product Recall

pumpkin...sounds wonderful...about  how much of the pumpkin puree -- 1/4 cup or so?

Yes, about a 1/4 cup of pumpkin pie mix, with the spices already incorporated. We might try to make our own puree and spice it up oursevles, but customers are really wowed by the idea of a pumpkin 'mallow.

Cheers,

Steve Smith

Glacier Country

Hi

I am just watching a show on food tv canada. It's called Sugar. The show is on marshmallows. Here is her recipe for rocky road truffle cake-brownie base, chocolate ganache then marshmallow layer. Recipe link

She makes the marshmallows a little different. Adds the sugar to frothy egg whites and then adds warmed gelatin at the end.

Thought I would share what looked like another great way to use those homemade marshmallows.

Sandra

I made a batch from nightscotsman's recipe a week or so ago. I was very happy with how well the marshmallows turned out, since I don't have much experience making candy or other sweets (when it comes to dessert, I tend to gravitate to something simple and fruity, like apple crisp). It was by far the stickiest stuff I've ever worked with. Note to self: next time, wear an apron.

My husband's response when he tried one was, "Wow, this is great!" A few minutes later, when we'd each eaten three or four, he added, "How long do these stay good, and what can we do with them besides eating them straight?"

The latest issue of Sunset magazine has a recipe for "molten marshmallow-chocolate cakes" that looks worth trying. Unfortunately, it's in the subscribers-only section on their website, so I can't post a link to it. It's a rich chocolate cake (more chocolate than flour) with a marshmallow in the middle. From the photo, it seems to ooze nicely when cut into.

Given that there are only the two of us, I think next time I'll make a half or quarter recipe. As written, it makes a whole lot of marshmallows...

"The dinner table is the center for the teaching and practicing not just of table manners but of conversation, consideration, tolerance, family feeling, and just about all the other accomplishments of polite society except the minuet." - Judith Martin (Miss Manners)

• 1 month later...

Well, I made my first couple of batches of marshmallows (finally!), and I'm hooked.

Cranberry Marshmallows: Made a batch of Julia Child's cranberry relish (cranberry, orange juice, sugar, & orange/lemon zest), then pureed 3/4 cup of the relish in 1/2 cup of water, then strained it. This replaced the 1/2 cup of strawberry puree and 1/2 cup of water in the original recipe. They're a pretty pink and nice & tart. Not quite as fluffy as the pumpkin ones turned out, but they were my first, so I'll chalk that up to experience and not the cranberries!

Pumpkin Marshmallows: Took the advice above and used 1/2 cup of pumpkin pie mix (with the spices) in lieu of the 1/2 cup of strawberry puree. They're a pale orange, with little flecks of spice throughout. Yum!

I also tried Frangelico Marshmallows, but unfortunately I put a tbsp of Nutella (hey, hazelnuts, there's logic there) in with the Frangelico, but I think there's too much fat in Nutella, so the mixture didn't foam up nearly as much as the other two. I'm letting it sit overnight, maybe they'll be little dense guys. They taste phenomenal, so I don't want to give up on them yet. I also think I'll try again tomorrow, but starting with cocoa dissolved in Frangelico.

Bless whoever it was that mentioned using an oiled pizza cutter! It worked wonderfully to cut 'em.

The goal of all this is to make sandwich cookies... about 1/2 the 'mallows I made thin enough to sandwich between 2 ginger crisps or almond crisps. The other half are nice thick cubes for general fressen!

Thanks, nightscotsman, for sharing... these are really fun!

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

I've been wanting to make my own marshmallows for a while now...the idea began with thinking of Thanksgiving, and doing all the comfort foods my set in their ways family is used to, but doing them all from scratch. fresh green beans in the cassarole, with homemade onion rings..and then the sweet potato's whipped with sugar using fresh potatoes and homemade marshmallows. I've been hesitant because of the humidity down here. does that affect the end result??? I've been taught not to try sugar based candies (divinity, pralines etc) when the humidity is high, and lately it has just stayed that way. also..I have a ton of satsuma's and have been seeking ways to use them. think I could use the juice in marshmallows like ya'll have been using other flavorings???? thanks.

I've been wanting to make my own marshmallows for a while now...the idea began with thinking of Thanksgiving, and doing all the comfort foods my set in their ways family is used to, but doing them all from scratch. fresh green beans in the cassarole, with homemade onion rings..and then the sweet potato's whipped with sugar using fresh potatoes and homemade marshmallows. I've been hesitant because of the humidity down here. does that affect the end result??? I've been taught not to try sugar based candies (divinity, pralines etc) when the humidity is high, and lately it has just stayed that way. also..I have a ton of satsuma's and have been seeking ways to use them. think I could use the juice in marshmallows like ya'll have been using other flavorings???? thanks.

I wouldn't worry about the humidity. The mixture should whip up fine and the gelatine will set, though you may have to recoat them in the starch/sugar mixture after a few days. Potato starch does seem to hold up and resist moisture a little better than corn starch. I've been able to find it at healthfood stores and asian markets.

The tangerines will make great marshmallow! Just use all juice instead of water in the gelatine mixture:

(1/2 batch)

1/2 cup tangerine juice

2 envelopes gelatine

Optional - 1/2 tsp vanilla

Bloom gelatine in bowl of mixer.

6 Tbs water

1-1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup + 2 Tbs corn syrup

pinch of salt

combine and cook to 235 F. Pour into mixing bowl with gelatine and whip until fluffy and thick - about 10 minutes. Spread into sheet pan lined with foil sprayed with non-stick spray. Let set uncovered for several hours or overnight. You'll fill about 1/3 of a standard half-sheet pan. For a stronger flavor you could add some freshly grated zest to the juice and gelatine, though the finished product will have bits of zest interupting the smooth texture.

Neil (or anyone else with an idea or an opinion!)--

If I'm using apple cider as a flavoring for the marshmallows, will I have to reduce the sugar content, and if so, by how much? How would this affect the structure of the marshmallow?? I noticed that for the tangerine marshmallows, you did not change the sugar or corn syrup, but apple cider doesn't have the acidity of tangerine and I don't know if the final product would be too sweet or not. I'm planning on using 1/2 c. of cider in which to dissolve the gelatin.

I want to pour a layer of cooled but liquid caramel over the finished marshmallow and sprinkle peanuts over it for a taffy apple confection.

Marjorie

Neil (or anyone else with an idea or an opinion!)--

If I'm using apple cider as a flavoring for the marshmallows, will I have to reduce the sugar content, and if so, by how much?  How would this affect the structure of the marshmallow??  I noticed that for the tangerine marshmallows, you did not change the sugar or corn syrup, but apple cider doesn't have the acidity of tangerine and I don't know if the final product would be too sweet or not.  I'm planning on using 1/2 c. of cider in which to dissolve the gelatin.

I want to pour a layer of cooled but liquid caramel over the finished marshmallow and sprinkle peanuts over it for a taffy apple confection.

Marjorie

I wouldn't change the rest of the recipe - the added sweetness of the apple cider won't be noticed since marshmallows are basically whipped sugar to begin with. however, you will get more flavor if you start with a cider that's on the tart side, like a fresh pasturized juice, rather than one from concentrate. For even more flavor, you could also use cider in the boiled sugar mixture instead of water.

I was actually thinking of doing that originally when the "too much sugar" thought entered my head.

Also, I'm planning on using our cider that we serve hot, which is simmered with citrus and spices for a while; the citrus takes some of the sweetness out of the cider, while the simmering concentrates the flavor.

Since I am experimenting, I'll try it with all cider tomorrow and let you know the results.

Marjorie

P.S. You are FAST!!!

Why wouldn't you use the full 1 cup of liquid with apple cider...I think the flavor might be better ...I made the pumpkin ones, but thought I would add more than 1/2 cup since the flavor was not very intense.

Edited by Joni (log)