• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Homemade Marshmallows: Recipes & Tips (Part 1)

bripastryguy

Using potato starch instead of corn starch probably won't make any difference in preventing stickiness. I like using potato because I think it has a lighter, softer mouthfeel. What actually might make more difference is if you use a product called "snow sugar" (there's a French name that I won't embarass myself trying to spell). Unlike powdered sugar it's not made from sucrose, and it doesn't melt or become sticky like regular sugar will. However, when consumed in large qantities it can cause... shall we say "a few more trips to the bathroom". The light dusting on a few marshmallows shouldn't cause any problems. It's what bakeries usually use on powdered sugar donuts so they stay dry and powdery. It's available from King Arthur (Sorry if the link doesn't work - making lasting links to products in their catalog has been a problem in the past).

Potato starch can often be found in the kosher section of supermarkets or in natural/healthfood stores.

Using potato starch instead of corn starch probably won't make any difference in preventing stickiness.

But I do think there is a diference. Previously, I used cornstarch and sugar mixture and after a while out in the open it can get a tad sticky. Try putting cornstarch out in the open for a few days and it turns kinda damp a little. Or maybe I can notice the diference because of our high humidity here.

With my last batch however, I just use 100% potato starch for dusting. The marshmallows are sweet enough. I prefer this to mixing with icing sugar. Also without the sugar, less moisture attracted.

I read on the Net that kept in an airtight container, the marshmallows should last a month. Anyone knows for sure?

Edited by kew (log)

Potato starch can often be found in the kosher section of supermarkets or in natural/healthfood stores.

Thanks, Neil - I think it is uber cool that you are at the Bellagio and still have time to impart your knowledge. I have eaten at Picasso and it blew me away.

Patti Davis

www.anatomyofadinnerparty.com

I made the cocoa marshmallow yesterday and used only 1/4C cocoa. The marshmallows are a tad too soft. But the taste is just right though.

I am tired of having to deal with measuring the liquid glucose - not an easy task. According to my scale, 1 1/4C liquid glucose is 375gm. Anyone can help verify? Thanks.

I made the vanilla marshmallows this weekend and my gelatin didn't whisk off the bottom of my kitchenaide correctly. They were heavy and thin - I used a sheet pan.

I also tried to eyeball the "doneness" of the corn syrup and sugar mixture. When it comes to a boil, do I turn it down to low and let it continue to cook? For how long? I had a boilover - wow, what a mess.

Help!

Patti Davis

I also tried to eyeball the "doneness" of the corn syrup and sugar mixture. When it comes to a boil, do I turn it down to low and let it continue to cook? For how long? I had a boilover - wow, what a mess.

Unless you do a lot of sugar syrups on a regular basis, I can guarantee that "eyeballing for doneness" will not work. The only reliable ways of telling if the sugar is cooked to the correct stage are to use a thermometer or drop some in cold water to check for soft ball consistency. Candy thermometers can be had quite cheaply, but the cold water test is very easy and actually more acurate. If you find that you've overshot the soft ball stage, you can actually add a little more water and boil until you reach the correct temperature.

Sorry your batch didn't turn out well - I hope you'll try again.

I also tried to eyeball the "doneness" of the corn syrup and sugar mixture.  When it comes to a boil, do I turn it down to low and let it continue to cook? For how long? I had a boilover - wow, what a mess.

Unless you do a lot of sugar syrups on a regular basis, I can guarantee that "eyeballing for doneness" will not work. The only reliable ways of telling if the sugar is cooked to the correct stage are to use a thermometer or drop some in cold water to check for soft ball consistency. Candy thermometers can be had quite cheaply, but the cold water test is very easy and actually more acurate. If you find that you've overshot the soft ball stage, you can actually add a little more water and boil until you reach the correct temperature.

Sorry your batch didn't turn out well - I hope you'll try again.

Thanks, Neil! So to test for the soft ball stage, I need ice water and the sugar mixture should ball up when I put a drop in?

I totally plan on trying again. I was going to buy another candy thermometer, but the only ones I can find are the ones that are cylinder shaped and don't get a decent reading.

I refuse to give up until I have soft, fluffy marshmallows! :biggrin:

Patti Davis

Thanks, Neil!  So to test for the soft ball stage, I need ice water and the sugar mixture should ball up when I put a drop in?

Right - the sugar should form a ball that doesn't stick to your fingers, but is still soft and pliable. Good luck!

Thanks, Neil. Your advice is invaluable. I will try again tonight!

About the boiling over - should I just bring it to a boil and then turn it down? I really had a huge mess. Sticky City! :laugh:

Edited by LoveToEatATL (log)

Patti Davis

About the boiling over - should I just bring it to a boil and then turn it down?

I think you need to use a bigger pot because at one point it does foam a bit hence the boil over but after it reaches a certain temperature, it will settle down to a clear liquid once again. I use a pot big enough so that the liquid fills to 1/3.

I have some questions on marshmallow creme. Is it the same as marshmallow fluff ie stuff in the jar that's used in so many fudge recipes?

If I omit the gelatine from the marshmallow recipe, does it make the fluff? Or does marshmallow fluff contain egg whites?

Does anyone have a good recipe for marshmallow fluff? And how long does this keep?

What do you think of this recipe?

Marshmallow Creme

2C sugar

1C egg whites

1C water

1/2C light corn syrup

2C light corn syrup

4t pure vanilla extract

Cook sugar, water and two cups corn syrup to 240 degrees. In mixing bowl, beat egg whites and half cup corn syrup until mixed. Beat on med/low until light and fluffy. Slowly add hot syrup while beating. When all is mixed beat hard for three minutes. Add vanilla extract.

Thanks for any help!

Edited by kew (log)

About the boiling over - should I just bring it to a boil and then turn it down?

I think you need to use a bigger pot because at one point it does foam a bit hence the boil over but after it reaches a certain temperature, it will settle down to a clear liquid once again. I use a pot big enough so that the liquid fills to 1/3.

Kew, Thank you soooo much!

Patti Davis

You're welcome.

I just made 2 batches of the vanilla marshmallow this morning and I noted down some observations. It's probably not as accurate as any thermometer or cold-water test but hopefully will aid you somewhat in addition to doing the cold-water test.

I use medium-low flame all through and 3L clear Corning pan. The first number is recorded for first batch and the ones in the bracket for second batch.

At 12 (13) minutes, the sugar looks almost dissolved and the temperature was at 200F. The liquid is opaque.

At 13 (15) minutes, the syrup begins to boil and temperature now is 100C/212F.

At 14 (16) minutes, the syrups comes to boil and temp now is 108C/225F. It begins to foam.

At 15 (17)minutes, it really foams as the syrup is now at a rolling boil. 230F.

Just keep stirring gently and at 17 (19) mins there will no more foaming and the liquid is now very clear, no longer opaque. The temp is now 234F.

At 20 (22) mins, the syrup reaaches the temp of 240F and is ready to be poured into the gelatine mixture.

I use the 1/2C measuring spoon with spout to help pour the syrup in a thin stream into the bowl. After the first 1/2C I use the spatula to ensure all the gelatine coagulated at the bottom of the bowl is incorprated into the liquid. Continue pouring hot syrup in thin stream while beating on high speed. It takes me about 5mins to finish pouring all the syrup.

I then let the mixer run undisturbed for another 10mins on high. The syrup will then be very fluffy, very white and more than doubled the volume. It's ready to be poured into your prepared pan.

I would say that the syrup after the foaming and turning clear needs to be boiled for at least 3 mins before it's ready. Which is total about 5 mins after it comes to a boil.

I hope this helps any 'newbies' to making marshmallows, in addition to the cold-water test (as sometimes I am rather confused about the soft-ball test myself - homebaker here :wink: )

You're welcome.

I just made 2 batches of the vanilla marshmallow this morning and I noted down some observations. It's probably not as accurate as any thermometer or cold-water test but hopefully will aid you somewhat in addition to doing the cold-water test.

I use medium-low flame all through and 3L clear Corning pan. The first number is recorded for first batch and the ones in the bracket for second batch.

At 12 (13) minutes, the sugar looks almost dissolved and the temperature was at 200F. The liquid is opaque.

At 13 (15) minutes, the syrup begins to boil and temperature now is 100C/212F.

At 14 (16) minutes, the syrups comes to boil and temp now is 108C/225F. It begins to foam.

At 15 (17)minutes, it really foams as the syrup is now at a rolling boil. 230F.

Just keep stirring gently and at 17 (19) mins there will no more foaming and the liquid is now very clear, no longer opaque. The temp is now 234F.

At 20 (22) mins, the syrup reaaches the temp of 240F and is ready to be poured into the gelatine mixture.

I use the 1/2C measuring spoon with spout to help pour the syrup in a thin stream into the bowl. After the first 1/2C I use the spatula to ensure all the gelatine coagulated at the bottom of the bowl is incorprated into the liquid. Continue pouring hot syrup in thin stream while beating on high speed. It takes me about 5mins to finish pouring all the syrup.

I then let the mixer run undisturbed for another 10mins on high. The syrup will then be very fluffy, very white and more than doubled the volume. It's ready to be poured into your prepared pan.

I would say that the syrup after the foaming and turning clear needs to be boiled for at least 3 mins before it's ready. Which is total about 5 mins after it comes to a boil.

I hope this helps any 'newbies' to making marshmallows, in addition to the cold-water test (as sometimes I am rather confused about the soft-ball test myself - homebaker here :wink: )

Kew, now I am really excited about making the marshmallows. I can't thank you enough!

Patti Davis

Woooohoooo! I did it! I did it! Thank you so much, Nightscotsman, and, all of you who posted your experience with his recipe. It's the best marshmallow I've ever tasted and I didn't even use puree. I can just imagine how heavenly those with puree in it will taste. I made 2 layers; one, rose-flavored, and, the other, pandan-flavored. I'll never buy commercial marshmallows again, that's for sure!

i11802.jpg

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Those are gorgeous...so did you just make each color one at a time and then pour on top of each other?

BTW..has anyone made Kahlua ones or used a sweet liquor - Baileys, etc. in making marshmallows?

I made the first batch pink, poured in the jelly roll tin, then made the second batch right away and poured on top of the still soft first batch.

Your liqueur variations sound decadent! Do let us know after you've tried it.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

I made these multi-colored marshmallows last week.

When the mixture was ready to be poured out, I just divided it into separate bowls and colored them and then poured each color on top of another.

i11858.jpg

I also made cocoa marshmallow. I should've dusted it with cocoa powder but I was afraid it might be bitter .... but then dusted with potato starch, they didn't look too bad ... :biggrin:

i11870.jpg

Now I can't look at some fruit (or even vege!) and think about making a puree out of it to try in the marshmallow recipe. LOL! :rolleyes:

Edited by kew (log)

At least for the sake of historical curiosity, here is a recipe for marshmallows included in a 1920 cookbook which had belonged to one of my great Aunts:

3 cups granulated sugar

1 cup cold water

1 package gelatine

1 cup cold water

2 tablespoons vanilla essence

Soak gelatine 20 minutes in 1 cup cold water. Boil sugar & water together 10 minutes. Add gelatine to syrup and cook until it is dissolved.

A coating for the marshmallow:

2 cups brown sugar, 2 tablespoons water, 2 tablespoons vinegar, 1/4 cup butter. Boil until brittle in cold water; then dip marshmallows in it.

A recipe for Marshmallow Fudge is appended in the book.

Incidentally, TP(M'sia)'s substitution (posted above) of glucose syrup for corn syrup theoretically reminded me of...

Turkish Delight

250g liquid glucose

1.25 kg granulated sugar

2250g cornflour

2 Tbsps rosewater

1/2 tsp pink food colouring, optional

120g powdered sugar

"Dinner is theater. Ah, but dessert is the fireworks!" ~ Paul Bocuse

I'm interested in hearing ideas for other flavors. So, I saw recommendations to avoid things with fat (such as melted chocolate, however I saw that someone made coconut with coconut milk - sounds wonderful!). I was thinking peanut butter would be a decadent treat, but if the fat keeps it from whipping up, that would be a no-no. Could you whip in the peanut butter after the rest of the mixture is already whipped and fluffy?

I edited this post to add that maybe using grade B maple syrup would be a nice flavor - but would the extra sugar cause a problem?

Edited by amccomb (log)