• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Homemade Marshmallows: Recipes & Tips (Part 1)

bripastryguy

We use a guitar slicer - with film - for our small scale marshmallow production.

I'm curious what film you use and why. I've seen references to "guitar paper" but no one seemed to know exactly what it was.

I'm "guitar-challenged." When I make pate de fruit I sugar the uncut sheets before laying them on the guitar base, so they don't stick. The first cut goes pretty easily, but the second cut, with a 90 degree turn, can get very messy. Is there a better way?

Steven

Steve Smith

Glacier Country

I'm thinking of how yummy the marshmallows look while you're melting them in butter to make rice krispy treats. What would happen if you folded melted butter--or even better, browned butter--into the finished marshmallow recipe?

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

I'm thinking of how yummy the marshmallows look while you're melting them in butter to make rice krispy treats. What would happen if you folded melted butter--or even better, browned butter--into the finished marshmallow recipe?

I agree that the flavor of butter would be nice in a marshmallow, but I suspect the fat would just deflate the foam and you would end up with something heavy and chewy like a nougat. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :wink:

We use a guitar slicer - with film - for our small scale marshmallow production.

I'm curious what film you use and why. I've seen references to "guitar paper" but no one seemed to know exactly what it was.

The film in French is called papier guitar - a heavier duty sheet of clear plastic film - I'm guessing it's the same since it's a literal translation - but plastic not paper. It's used to prevent sticking and to make cleaner cuts. It would definitely help in slicing the pate de fruit. Otherwise there are pate de fruit cutters - that look like those old ice cube trays in a way - you pour the pate de fruit hot liquid into the base - metal mold, lightly greased sulphurised paper, greased side down - cool/set - then press the cutter in - pull out for pate de fruit squares - but only good for really limited amounts - really difficult to clean.

After reading e gullet marshmallow experiences I made some last week and was very happy with the result. I cut some as stars for a sweet tray and cubed the rest. After a few days, I tossed the remaining ones with a conf sugar/ Dutch cocoa/ cinnamon mixture and the taste was rich and complex. The only downside was that they looked like cubes of browned beef. A light sprinkle of pwd sugar was needed.

What about rose flower water for a flavoring?

Fresh and tasty, eh? Mine were fresh, but not very tasty. I tried flavoring some with orange flower water, and they DID taste just like detergent. Cheers, Nightscotsman! :) Betts, would you mind posting your recipe here in the forum? I used Friberg's and just found it a little bland. Thanks in advance!

Josh Usovsky

Josh Usovsky

"Will Work For Sugar"

An update.

I made the recipe from J.Torres book using egg whites. They were not a perfect true white color as the photos show. I let them set in the full sheet pan and then cut them to shape two days later. The top portion which was exposed to air and the xxxsugar/cornstarch was too crisp (I thought) and then the freshly coated other sides should have been left to air dry before stacking them for serving.

I added vanilla beans in addition to extract to flavor... and these were pretty good tasting. But I suppose to get a true white you can't use egg whites and natural colored vanilla (Liquid)?

Next time I will definately try the strawberry ones from you Nightscotsman!!

just as a quick aside, most marshmallows don't use egg whites. i'm sure that's how they started out (as meringues), but it seems that the more stable ones are gelatin/sugar mixes.

we'll have to ask one of the more scientific egulleteers to research the process for us!

I tried nightscotsman's recipe for strawberry marshmallows and they are AMAZING. Perfect. My kids were fascinated with both the process and the product. I used some of the marshmallow as a cake filling - I cut a 9-inch round and sandwiched it between two cake layers with a thin layer of buttercream on either side. There was no problem cutting it with a fork to eat it and the flavor was lightly but obviously strawberry and sweet but not so much as to overwhelm the cake. (I used a cake recipe that wasn't too sweet because I was worried about that.) I also used some of the remnants to make strawberry s'mores. I couldn't give a stronger recommendation for his recipe and I'm anxious to try a chocolate version or the pumpkin version nightscotsman suggested.

I used some of the marshmallow as a cake filling - I cut a 9-inch round and sandwiched it between two cake layers with a thin layer of buttercream on either side.

Mmmmm. I'm thinking some fancied up version of a strawberry shortcake.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

I don't use egg whites (there is no need to). My baking friends and I have always called marshmallows "American meringue" (you know, there is French, Italian, and Swiss...). They roast up like any other marshmallow. I have flavored them with vanilla bean, spices, herbs (mint, thyme and orange, tarragon). Flavored they are very good in a chocolate tart or toasted on a cake. Coat everthing with powdered sugar/ cornstarch , cover with paper and wrap well- chill overnight. To cut dip your knife in the cornstarch/ powdered sugar mixture.

• 1 month later...

What would the affectt be of substituting either maple syrup or golden syrup for the corn syrup called for in some receipes (like those from the LA Times)? Is there something particular in the chemical make up of corn syrup that other sugar syrups don't have?

How would you make chocolate marshmallows? The strawberry ones are fantastic.

I haven't made chocolate myself, but here's what I would try:

Using the strawberry recipe, replace puree in first mixture with 1/4 cup of water and add 1/4 to 1/2 cup cocoa powder and some vanilla (if you use the larger amount of cocoa you might need a bit more water). I wouldn't use melted chocolate since the added fat would inhibit foaming and you'd end up with a dense, rubbery product.

I made some homemade marshmallows and rolled them in a mixture of corn starch and powdered sugar and stored them in an airtight container, and now a couple hours later, they are all moist and sticky again. I let them set for about 4 hours before cutting them and then stored them immediately after cutting. Are there any tricks to prevent them from turning gooey again?

2 possible problems (also had them recently)

Your syrup may not have been the right temperature which will allow excess moisture to leach from the egg whites or your powdered sugar mixture may be too moist.

When I make my marshmallows, I cook the syrup to 260, is that what you do?

Once the marshmallows have cooled slightly I put them in a shallow pan, sprayed with non-stick spray and dusted with confectioners sugar. Then I place a layer of confec sugar on top and allow it to sit for about 6 hours. Flip it out of the pan and coat the underside as well with confectioners sugar. I cut what I need and toss it in more confec sugar. I keep the remaining marshmallow wrapped in plastic wrap until needed in a cool dry area.

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman