• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Homemade Marshmallows: Recipes & Tips (Part 1)

bripastryguy

I used an oval rapid mold to form the dessert

layered:

from bottom up

graham cracker bisquit (cake) soaked with a diluted stout

ganache

ground chocolate caramel

cocoa bisquit , soaked with vanilla syup

banana mascarpone, with a little caramel added

then the final layer of graham cake.

froze it then unmolded. Decorated with a layer of meringue, set with a small amount of gelatin.

On site, I torched it to a nice brown color and fragrant aroma. Stuck thin shards of chocolate lace tuile on the sides, not covering it entirely.

then from the top of the dessert I placed a few caramelos pulled to resemble flames. garnished the plate with dots of caramel and a drizzle of chocolate stout sauce (used oatmeal stout in the chocolate sauce)-People liked it so much they want cups of it to drink....

then I finished off the dessert with a chocolate malt semi-freddo

Hot, cold, smooth crunchy........

I was really proud. The judges loved the take on the idea and the cretive flavor combinations. I came in second behind Michael Fallon of the North Shore Country Club, he happens to be a very aacomplished pastry chef and I certainly don't mind coming in second to him. I really didnt think I was going to win, but i had a few friends who overheard the judges and they said that they really liked it.

Next year, I'll win! (who knows, but I did have a blast)

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

For the tasting portion I ended up doing the dessert alittle simplified in a sheet pan and cut them into bars. i toasted them on site and handed them to the guests. It was alot of fun watching them eat the gooey marshmallow, everybody felt like kids (exactly the impact I wanted)

I do need to get these kind of events better under control, but it is a lot of fun and whoever gets a chance to participate in one of these types of events- I say "Go for it" you wont regret it. Alot of the restaurant staff gave their time voluntarily and they all had a great time

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

elyse,

had no choice, wanted the strongest flavors to come through.

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

Thanks everybody for all your input

It helped me out alot

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

• 8 months later...

I haven't made these before. The recipes I've found and plan to use, use oils to flavor (so your not thinning it down with liquids) but I don't have any on hand. So my brain is dead and I need help thinking of a flavor that kids would like with common flavoring ingredients a typical kitchen has.

Any ideas?

Check out this recipe I posted a while ago for Strawberry Marshmallows. It uses fruit puree instead of flavoring oils so the flavor is very natural and fresh. You could try substituting other fruits like raspberry, peach or even pumkin and some spices. I made a cinnamon version a few weeks ago (replace puree with water and add powdered cinnamon) that was great in hot cider. The variations are endless. :smile:

Wow, those look great.

Have you noticed that whole foods carries homemade style marshmellows at about $6 per 2 dozen? Crazy expensive. They coat theirs with coconut, which is tasty.

Edited by Cusina (log)

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

Ah, I didn't realize that was your recipe, in fact I did print it out a while ago. I thought it was from finecookings site......

Anyway, I've never made marshmellows before and your recipe doesn't contain egg whites (and has alot of liquid) which concerned me. It doesn't make sense (in my head thinking it thru)....your pouring hot syrup into a thin non airating liquid, why? I understand the gelatin is setting the whipped texture, but I'm getting jello in my head not marshmellows. Would you please explain how your recipe works in comparision to a typical m. recipe?

The main difference between "my" recipe (actually based on one from Martha) and most of the others I've seen is the lack of egg whites and a higher proportion of corn syrup or glucose. What is actually whipping is the glucose cooked to the soft ball stage, so there's not much water left in the syrup. The water in the bowl is absorbed by the gelatine so it not only sets as it cools, it's keeping the cooked syrup from softening. But then again, I'm most just guessing about the science :unsure: .

Anyway, I hope you'll give it a try - I guarantee it works and makes a very stable, but light and creamy marshmallow. If you want a firmer finished product for some reason, you could always increase the gelatine.

Wendy,

I made marshmallows for the first time about a month ago for a cooking class. Was very surprised to see that it was actually a cooked sugar syrup not egg whites.

I found the recipe in the " Ultimate candy book" by I believe Weinstein. He also has a book on ultimate ice cream, if that sounds more familiar. His recipe is for plain marshmallows, but also includes some variations, like toasted coconut.

Haven't ever made marshmallows before, I found the recipe to be very easily done. It is just soaked gelatin, put in a mixing bowl, then the hot sugar syrup is pourd into ( like making Italian meringue ) while the machine is mixing. It goes for about 10 minutes, then is done. Looks like meringue. Let set 10 hours or overnight, then cut. If you want, I can give you the recipe. Just let me know ( these marshmallows are firmer than store bought, but I did get a few marriage proposals from the ladies at the cooking class after they tasted them :laugh:)

Take care,

Jason

• 3 weeks later...

Is there an additive you guys can suggest to give marshmallows a more rich flavor? The recipe I use only uses glucose, sugar, and egg whites. Is there soomething (besides vanilla) that you have added to give the marshmallow a more decadent flavor?

Thanks,

Josh

Josh Usovsky

"Will Work For Sugar"

I'm not sure if it would screw it up or not. I don't mind making it a bit more dense at all, I'd just like to make it taste a bit better. The end result will be enrobed in couverture or will be a filling. I like the texture of marshmallow, but I am a bit dissatisfied with the flavor. I'm just trying to find something to enrich the final result. As for flavorings, I have tried kirsch which was okay, and orange flower water, which made the marshmallow taste like detergent. *cough*

Josh

Josh Usovsky

"Will Work For Sugar"

I find fruity marshmallows a little odd. IMO, the best marshmallows have a pure, clean flavor. Even a little fruit flavoring tends to be too dominant in marshmallows.

Have you tried replacing some of the sugar with a small amount of honey?

You can use any natural flavor extracts and they shouldn't change the final texture. Try coconut or coffee extracts for a richer flavor, or replace the water in the recipe with some strongly brewed chai. I made cinnamon marshmallows by just adding about a teaspoon of ceylon cinnamon and they were great with hot cider.

As for fruit flavored marshmallows, I hope you'll consider making the strawberry version I added to the recipe archive. They have a very creamy mouth-feel and bright strawberry flavor.

I use a quality Almond Extract. If dipping, I then use almond as a garnish.

I also have used half vanilla and half almond, which is a nice, round flavor. The chemistry of Marshmallow really limits you on what you can do, and since I'm afraid I am science-impaired, I haven't tried anything more exciting.

The almond and the almond/vanilla are both excellent in hot cocoa -- something that is on my mind today, with the 5-degree wind chill!

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"

Any one of the warm spices (clove, nutmeg, mace, cardamom, etc...) should lend a nice depth of flavor to a marshmallow. You could also try adding a touch of salt to the recipe, to pronounce added flavors more. Making it taste like something more than just sugar. Vanilla bean may also give a bit more depth than just extract.

Cory Barrett

Pastry Chef

We use a guitar slicer - with film - for our small scale marshmallow production. Better flavour - we do just a classic marshmallow and a strawberry one - both very good - both coated in just powdered sugar - but I want to try playing with the coating - using the tant pour tant - half powdered sugar/half powdered almonds - etc. - and yeah, definitely spices too - and cocoa powder, etc.

Edited by loufood (log)