• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Homemade Marshmallows: Recipes & Tips (Part 1)

bripastryguy

I working on an idea for "A Decade of Good Taste", a culinary event on Long Island NY. Im planning to do a twist a smore dessert. "Bourbon Banana Smore"

The base is a graham crust then a layer of bourbon soaked banana cake then a slice of banana. Im going to enrobe it in ganache then I want to wrap them with a marshmallow, place them on a skewer or wood fork and toast with a blow torch and pas sout to the guests. I need to make 500 of these. It is a component to my Childhood Revisted dessert.

I have a good recipe for homemade marshmallows but I need it to be able to enrobe "the pop" or dipped into.

Anybody know the way to go? Steve, Michael, Patrice, Winding???

Would love some help.

Thanks,

Brian

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

What is your recipe like? does it use egg whites or just corn syrup, sugar and gelatine? If the latter, I would make sure not to overcook the syrup and then don't overbeat the mixture if you want to spread it out thinly. That way the marshmallow will stay soft and creamy rather than rubbery. Another option would be to make a light marshmallow cream and spread it on the items - or just dip them if they will hold together. Much easier and faster than wrapping, I would think. Also, with wrapping you might have difficulty getting the marshmallow to stick to the chocolate since you will have to dust the marshmallow with powdered sugar or starch to be able to handle it at all.

Sounds like a great idea in any case. Do let us know how they turn out - with photos if possible. :smile:

Marshmallows are a meringue ( italienne is the best way to go) with some gelatine. Personnally, for you dessert, I don't think you need any gelatine. You can make an ordinary italienne meringue and then, take you ganache enrobed cake and spread it or dip it into the meringue.

Patrice Demers

When I was a kid we used to use some sort of marshmallow cream sold in jars.  I shudder to think what chemicals were included.

Not to worry - from the Marshmallow Fluff web site:

• What is Fluff made from?
    Corn syrup, sugar syrup, vanilla flavor, and egg white. There are no artificial preservatives, stabilizers, emulsifiers, or colorings in Marshmallow Fluff.

Sounds like a fun idea, Brian. I like the way you're thinking. Given the numbers you need, I think I would agree with Patrice. I think you'll spark the same flavor nostalgia that you are trying to accomplish, yet save yourself some headaches. I think you should pursue your wrapping idea- just on a more controlled scale, say a plated dessert. Either way, let us know what you come up with.

Michael Laiskonis

Pastry Chef

New York

www.michael-laiskonis.com

Will do, I thought of the meringue idea as well. I think it is the best way to go.

Any recipes that you guys feel would work? I have to get these all set and ready to go the day of the event. I would love to be able to set them all up, dip them in the meringue then freeze them. Bring em to the event and by that time they will have defrosted enough and I can toast them and hand them out to the guests.

Any ideas?

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

When I was a kid we used to use some sort of marshmallow cream sold in jars.  I shudder to think what chemicals were included.

Not to worry - from the Marshmallow Fluff web site:

• What is Fluff made from?
    Corn syrup, sugar syrup, vanilla flavor, and egg white. There are no artificial preservatives, stabilizers, emulsifiers, or colorings in Marshmallow Fluff.

Don't think it was called Fluff in the past. So, one making the stuff would be a fluffer?

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Gee, whiz, H-wood, isn't that the second time in recent days you've brought up the "fluffer" term?  Down, boy, down!

Probably the third if you are counting. I can't help it if all these members force me to say the evil term.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Joni,

I think we need to call in Steve or Michael for this one (no offense Night)

Its sounds alittle technical.

At El Bulli. They do something similar, they will melt some caramel, stretch and pull it almost translucent and while still warm wrap it around whatever interior they are using at the time.

I can search down some recipes for you.

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

Nightscotsman...would you be willing to share your marshmellow recipe?  Is it with or w.o. egg whites?  I am looking to also do a marshmellow with carmel wrapped around it.

I posted a recipe for strawberry marshmallows on this thread (scroll down about half way). It's very easy and uses no egg whites. If you want to make a plain marshmallow just replace the fruit puree with 1/4 cup water and add some vanilla.

At El Bulli. They do something similar, they will melt some caramel, stretch and pull it almost translucent and while still warm wrap it around whatever interior they are using at the time.

It can even get a little more involved than that, actually.

For the 'wrapped in caramel' effect, find, either in the Adria or Balaguer book, a neutral caramel recipe. It is probably just fondant and glucose; occasionally I see Isomalt added, too. This is cooked to just below or at the caramelization point. Removed from heat, it is poured out onto a silpat to cool and harden. Then you whiz it in the robot coupe to a fine powder. Either freeform or using a chablon/stencil of some sort, sift the powder onto another silpat. Say I'm doing a 'liquid truffle', I'd form or cut a 2cm diameter disc of ganache, for which I'd cut a 3cm diameter circle stencil.

So now you have several discs of sifted sugar on the silpat. Pop it into a medium oven, just for a few minutes at most. The powder will melt and fuse together to create a solid disc, a superthin 'wafer' of sugar. Allow to cool and gently, gently remove from the silpat. The goal is to get it as thin as possible while maintaining the shape, with no holes or gaps.

Finally, to finish... On a bare sheetpan/sizzle platter/whatever, place a disc of sugar. On top of that, the ganache, with a second disc of sugar on top that. You now have a little sandwich. With just a pass or two of a blowtorch, the sugar will melt and conform to shape of the ganache; it will harden within a couple seconds. Carefully flip the sandwich over, and repeat with the other side. Alternatively, it could be flashed under a broiler. I have yet to decide which way I prefer. Meanwhile the ganache center has softened under the heat, yet is encased in the thin caramel shell.

Steve Klc could surely offer more insight with regard to the evolution of this technique and all of its applications. The real fun starts when you begin adding other ingredients. For example, (I've seen this attributed to both Trio, near Chicago, and the Spanish team at last year's World Pastry Competion...hmmm.) microwave popcorn is cooked, cooled, and ground in the robot coupe. This ground popcorn is added to the just-cooked sugar mixture. The method plays out, as above, but the caramel is 'melted' around a corn custard. Trio calls it "Caramel Popcorn".

So yes, Joni, this could work well with your marshmallow idea. Is this what you had in mind?

Brian, have you tried this or any of the other 'caramelos'? You must.

Michael Laiskonis

Pastry Chef

New York

www.michael-laiskonis.com

Yes, Michael I just started to play with them. Your idea has got my mind going.

What is your ganche ratio for this? Do you freeze the ganache? You could pour it into a "coin" flexipan instead of cutting them. How long do yours hold up? I made an apricot pate de fruit and encased it with the caramelo and it help up pretty well for about an hour.

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

Bri--I'm with Michael and Patrice mostly so far--I applaud the thought process and think you have conceived of a very, very complicated dessert. Too complicated for an off-site event. I've just now seen this thread and I have a question for you--how many of these several hundred people grand tasting type events have you done before? And what types of desserts or samples have you pulled off for those? This is not to challenge you or your ability--but real world advice--these things are not so easy, they go by very quickly and every little step you add a la minute is magnified. Do you want to do an action 500 times--like add a garnish? another 500 times for a sauce--and this stuff adds up, adds staff, adds pressure. Working in a strange kitchen, fighting for fridge and freezer space, having electrical and equipment at your booth or table--all can be major hassles. Where you planning on toasting these off?

So before I get too involved--let's talk logistics--have you done this event? How is it set up--a seated dinner all served at once or walk around tasting stations spread out over a few hours? Will your dessert be the only one or will several pastry chefs be involved?

Oh, and I just thought of an idea for you to explore--a piped meringue with a star tip but made with caramel powder instead of sugar. It would taste just like a burnt marshmallow. I do a caramel meringue espuma that way--ground caramel powder dissolved in egg whites warmed like a Swiss meringue, then chilled and loaded into the iSi. Very nice.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

Steve,

I have done of few taste of the nations (in Dc years back when I was the pastry chef at les Halles) and I participated in Taste of New York for BR Guest (representing pastry Chef). So I have some experience with these events, but not this one in particular.

Its a competition for the first part then the participating restaurants set up booths and people walk around tasting from each. I think their is about 50 -100 competitors.

I plan to have everything done-The whole item on the skewer, Frozen either allready coated in meringue marshmallow or I'll bring the prepped skewer and do the meringue there.

In your opinion, which would be the better way to go.

An idea I had was to start toasting them with the blow torch and sticking them into a styrofoam centerpiece before the event starts and continue doing them while the people walk by. I am going to have a small fan behind us blowing the toasted marshmallow smell around (sensory attraction)

Prep the whole item in a sheet pan then cut cubes, coat with ganache and skewer them and put into the freezer the day before.

Keep the ideas coming.........

Much appreciated

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

I'm still looking for some advice on this.....

So far this is what I came up with

This will be done is a sheet with an extender

Bottom layer: spiced graham crust

middle layer: bourbon soaked banana bisquit (this will be baked right onto the crust

top layer: banana flavored ganache

topped with a slice of banana.

I'm going to freeze it and cut cubes out and skewer them, freeze. Remove from freezer then dip in ganache. Freeze until needed.

I will then dip them in the meringue (i may add a product i picked up called marshmallow oil/ extract) then I will refrigerate them until needed. At the event they will be torched and handed to the guests.

The plated dessert is a take on 3 desserts enjoyed as kids and now revisted as an adult:

1)Banana Borbon Smore

2)CherrY Coke Float-vaniila bean panna cotta, cherry gelee, cola reduction

3)Illegal chocolate pudding(pots du creme) with warm white chocolate espresso foam and hazel nut macaroons

Any ideas??????????

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

• 2 weeks later...

I have now decided to do a "Monkey Bar" -dense moist banana brownie with chunks of banana, chopped chocolate and peanuts. Then I'm going to glaze it with a bourbon flavored ganache. cut cubes, skewer then pipe the soft marshmallow. Still going to torch them at show.

The Chef wants me to go with this idea and flavors for the plated dessert:

Here goes:

Banana Bourbon Smore

spiced (ginger,cinnamon....)graham crust, bourbon soaked monkey bar, Caramel peanut mousse enrobed in marshallow. Bourbon creme brulee and graham nougatine

Spiced graham crust: a cookie base, graham cracker crumbs, brown butter, sugar cinnamon and ginger

monkey Bar:dense banana cake studded with chopped chocolate and peanuts, brushed with bourbon simple syrup

(These 2 items will make up the base)

I am going to mold this in a demisphere flexipan. Lined with the caramel peanut mousse, with the bourbon creme brulee inserted (molded in a smaller demisphere flexipan and frozen) then caped off with the base. then pipe the marshamallow decoratively on the exterior. I want to serve it with a passion fruit emulsion and also a chocolate malt sauce (too much???)

and garnish with the graham nougatine(im going to grind unsweetened dried banana, graham cracker crumbs and caramel into a powder and bake for the garnish)

*This is for the plated dessert, not for 500, I only have to produce 5 of these for the judges.

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

Bottom layer: spiced graham crust

middle layer: bourbon soaked banana bisquit (this will be baked right onto the crust

top layer: banana flavored ganache

topped with a slice of banana.

I'm going to freeze it and cut cubes out and skewer them, freeze. Remove from freezer then dip in ganache. Freeze until needed.

I will then dip them in the meringue (i may add a product i picked up called marshmallow oil/ extract) then I will refrigerate them until needed. At the event they will be torched and handed to the guests.

The plated dessert is a take on 3 desserts enjoyed as kids and now revisted as an adult:

1)Banana Borbon Smore

2)CherrY Coke Float-vaniila bean panna cotta, cherry gelee, cola reduction

3)Illegal chocolate pudding(pots du creme) with warm white chocolate espresso foam and hazel nut macaroons

Any ideas??????????

Yeah, invite me to be a taster!

Ixnay on the assion fruitpay. Sorry, you just lost me there. It might be too peanutbutter and jelly, you know?

• 2 weeks later...

The event has passed. :biggrin:

I got second place for my dessert, the people loved it (2nd out of 50 restaurants, no too bad for my first competition)

It went through many revisions. I wil post a pic a when I get them back.

Lots of fun.I also served a Hot Chocolate Oatmeal Stout, they went nuts....

The only sugar I used in the hot chocolate was the reduction of the Stout to almost syrup, malt powder and sweetened condensed milk. It was cold here yesterday so the people warmed up nicely. This is the first time I combined beer and chocolate, i like it....

Looking forward to my next event

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman