• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Homemade Marshmallows: Recipes & Tips (Part 1)

bripastryguy

I tried mango marshmallows. I subbed about 2T of lemon juice for some of water that is added to the puree. I noticed that the puree+gelatin was not as solid as it is when I use strawberry, so I added an extra packet of gelatin. The marshmallows whipped up and set just fine, and the texture seems the same as that of the strawberry marshmallows.

Thanks for trying it and giving us your changes. What type of mango puree was it?

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I tried mango marshmallows. I subbed about 2T of lemon juice for some of water that is added to the puree. I noticed that the puree+gelatin was not as solid as it is when I use strawberry, so I added an extra packet of gelatin. The marshmallows whipped up and set just fine, and the texture seems the same as that of the strawberry marshmallows.

Thanks for trying it and giving us your changes. What type of mango puree was it?

I pureed some store-brand frozen mango chunks, and then heated it to a boil.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

• 4 weeks later...

OK. The agar didn't work for me.

I just got home from a kosher food show with several samples of kosher gelatin (fish-base). I will try again. I assume (and hope) that the fish gel is a straight substitution for other gelatin.

You're going to find that some of those kosher gelatins leave a slight fish taste to your foods. I can never remember which ones are which, because I use them so rarely, and never know if I'm getting the more fishy stuff until it's too late for me! I seem to be the only one who really notices, though. Everyone else eats up whatever the batch is. Now, if only I coul find out which one the kosher Haribo gummies contain, that's the best ever.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

the marshmallows we sell in the store are made with fish gel - I don't notice a fish taste - so I'm hoping this works. I'll let you know ;)

(the brand is Aqua Gel from England)

• 2 weeks later...

I saw on Food Finds yesterday a piece on Pete's Confections. His marshmallows were dipped in chocolate and other icings.

Can anyone tell me the best way to accomplish this? Would I still need to dust them before I ice them?

Thanks!

Patti Davis

www.anatomyofadinnerparty.com

I saw on Food Finds yesterday a piece on Pete's Confections.  His marshmallows were dipped in chocolate and other icings.

Can anyone tell me the best way to accomplish this? Would I still need to dust them before I ice them?

Thanks!

I'm not sure if you need to dust them, but I wanted to make sure you know you don't have to dust them at all. I just make sure the pan, knife and all surfaces are lightly oiled. I roll most of mine in shredded coconut.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

You won't need to add cream to the chocolate--I think that would be a bad idea, because ganache will melt.

Just temper as usual and dip the marshmallows. They won't melt in the chocolate.

Sounds good. Will let you know tomorrow how it turned out.

Patti Davis

I was thinking of making a gingerbread marshmallow. Anyone have an idea as to how I could accomplish this? Obviously, gingerbread spices would be added, and I'll probably substitute brown sugar for some of the sugar, but could I use molasses as part of the corn syrup? Will this totally screw up my syrup? I really want to get a good molasses flavor if I can, because I just don't think they would really taste like gingerbread otherwise.

Has anyone tried this? I'm going to make them for cookie swap that is taking place tomorrow evening, so any responses would be helpful.

If nothing else, I'll just give it a whirl and see what happens! If they suck, I can always scrap it and make another flavor.

Thanks,

Katie

"First rule in roadside beet sales, put the most attractive beets on top. The ones that make you pull the car over and go 'wow, I need this beet right now'. Those are the money beets." Dwight Schrute, The Office, Season 3, Product Recall

I was thinking of making a gingerbread marshmallow. Anyone have an idea as to how I could accomplish this? Obviously, gingerbread spices would be added, and I'll probably substitute brown sugar for some of the sugar, but could I use molasses as part of the corn syrup? Will this totally screw up my syrup? I really want to get a good molasses flavor if I can, because I just don't think they would really taste like gingerbread otherwise.

Has anyone tried this? I'm going to make them for cookie swap that is taking place tomorrow evening, so any responses would be helpful.

If nothing else, I'll just give it a whirl and see what happens! If they suck, I can always scrap it and make another flavor. 

Thanks,

Katie

I think you'd see quite a bit of textural changes with those subs/additions, denser and more marshmallow creme than marshmallow puffs. That being said, if they do come out that way, you're well on the way to fudge...I'll bet nobody else brings gingerbread fudge!

I'd just add the spices and look for a molasses flavoring instead of adding the heavy stuff and at try not to jeopardize the volume. I'm going to make some tonight when the kids get home. I may put a bit aside and play with flavorings, but the majority will be dipped in chocolate (white and regular) and tied up with marzapan ribbons for packages to decorate a birthday cake. Since it's Christmas, the birthday cake may well be in the form of a yule log with the 'packages' scattered about it. Any ideas on this particular birthday/holiday presentation? I do not have a tree mold, but do have a gingerbread man cake pan, it's small but I could do several and make a string down the length of the table. I'll do the mallows today and worry about the cake for friday!!

Thanks,

Katie

I'd be tempted to leave the sugar white and only sub 1 or 2 tbsp of molasses in for the corn syrup. You don't want the molasses to totally overwhelm. I think a small amount will help with the colour and the flavour as well as hopefully not affecting the texture too much. I'd also suggest putting your spices through a very fine seive. I've made cinnamon marshmallows and depending on the brand of spices it can be a bit gritty. That said, probably less is more as far as spices go as well. Just make sure you've got the right blend. Let us know how they turn out.

Highchef...

Unless your client or whomever you are baking the birthday cake for requested a holiday theme, you might consider avoiding that. People who are born around Christmas always get screwed...cakes that look like Christmas, only one gift because it's too close to the holiday, holiday parties instead of birthday parties...you see where I am going with that...my mom is a Christmas baby and she's always saying how badly it bites :smile: I'd say it's worse for children than adults, but apparently not...my 60 year old 'Christmas Day baby' cousin switched to celebrating in July because he was tired of getting the shaft, and my mother is nearly 80 :smile:

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

Highchef...

Unless your client or whomever you are baking the birthday cake for requested a holiday theme, you might consider avoiding that.  People who are born around Christmas always get screwed...cakes that look like Christmas, only one gift because it's too close to the holiday, holiday parties instead of birthday parties...you see where I am going with that...my mom is a Christmas baby and she's always saying how badly it bites  :smile:  I'd say it's worse for children than adults, but apparently not...my 60 year old 'Christmas Day baby' cousin switched to celebrating in July because he was tired of getting the shaft, and my mother is nearly 80 :smile:

I think you are right. It's for a friend and it's a big birthday so it should be all about her.

If I wrapped the mallows up like birthday presents..that'd work! Depends on how I decorate the cake. we'll see, but choco dipped marshmallows are on the party menu. Thanks!

You won't need to add cream to the chocolate--I think that would be a bad idea, because ganache will melt.

Just temper as usual and dip the marshmallows. They won't melt in the chocolate.

Well, for the first time ever, the marshmallows just didn't turn out. They had the consistency of soft taffy - weird.

And the chocolate didn't seem liquid enough while dipping them. It was pretty much a mess.

i76c6x.jpg

Maybe I'm having some bad candy karma today. :laugh:

Patti Davis

Well, for the first time ever, the marshmallows just didn't turn out. They had the consistency of soft taffy - weird.

And the chocolate didn't seem liquid enough while dipping them. It was pretty much a mess.

i76c6x.jpg

Maybe I'm having some bad candy karma today. :laugh:

They look pretty damn good from here.

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

I am having very bad marshmallow karma. :wacko:

A few days back I tried making an egg white version with matcha (green tea powder). I made some very convincing pond scum. A spoonful tasted great in a cup of steamed milk, but after a few days I had to wash it down the drain.

Then I found this thread and today I tried nightscotsman's recipe-- the chocolate version. I had bought a new electric hand mixer for the job and just when I was wondering how stiff to beat the peaks of marshmallow, the new car smell of the beater turned into the toxic fumes of burnt plastic and smoke was coming out of the top and the bottom of the beater. I quickly unplugged it and put it outside, where it is continuing to off gas at this very moment. Just a little warning not to make the same mistake I did! Hopefully they will taste okay. We'll test them tomorrow.

So my question still remains. How stiff is too stiff? What is the empirical evidence of an overwhipped marshmallow? Also, how do the people who pipe their mallows do it without the "batter" dissolving in a pile of goop?

Anyone know where to get a good used bowl mixer?

Zuke

Edited by Zucchini Mama (log)

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

Well, just to let you all know, the gingerbread marshmallows were a HUGE success! In case anyone else is interested in this flavor, here is what I did:

1 cup cold water and gelatin in mixer bowl.

I used only white sugar, but to get a brown sugar flavor, instead of regular corn syrup I used the new brown sugar kind (don't laugh, but I called the Karo syrup hotline to make sure they were interchangable). :laugh: I used 9oz corn syrup, and then added 2T molasses. I also added the spices to the syrup mixture (sifted, as recommended above) so that they would be well incorporated. My gingerbread boys and girls recipe calls for equal parts cinnamon, allspice, ginger, and cloves. I used 1tsp of each. I like my gingerbread spicy, though, so this was perfect in my opinion. Also added the 3/4 cup water. If you do this, make sure you use a bigger pot than usual, since the impurities in the molasses will make it bubble up quite a bit. BTW, this stage made my WHOLE house smell like gingerbread - it was great!

Also, I would recommend using the cold water method to test for soft ball stage, because it seemed to get there before the temperature said it did (if this makes any sense).

They whipped up perfectly, and actually seemed fluffier than usual. They almost didn't fit in my pan!

They are very nicely flavored, in my opinion. They taste exactly the way I wanted them too, so I am very excited. I think this is my new favorite flavor! They were the most popular item at my cookie swap tonight, too. I also made peppermint swirl. Both were very popular, but I have a lot fewer gingerbread ones left.

Thanks for the help CanadianBakin'!

Next time I will use a little brown food color to get them a little darker(they were sort of tan), and I may (if feeling ambitious) cut them out in little gingerbread shapes and decorate.

"First rule in roadside beet sales, put the most attractive beets on top. The ones that make you pull the car over and go 'wow, I need this beet right now'. Those are the money beets." Dwight Schrute, The Office, Season 3, Product Recall

Nightscotsman and Kew have made me a legend with my new marshmallow skills.

I would like to make chocolate covered marshmallows on a stick. Would I freeze the marshmallows first and then dip them?

Heh heh .... I go by JustKay now .... and well, I learned it all from Neil's recipe. :biggrin:

I dip my room-temperature marshmallows and leave them on wax paper to set at room temperature.

... but to get a brown sugar flavor, instead of regular corn syrup I used the new brown sugar kind...

Ok, I may be showing my ignorance here, but, is this to mean that Karo has a Brown Sugar Flavor in addition to their Light and Dark Corn Syrups?? Sorry if this makes me sound really out there, but, I just thought I'd ask.

Ok, I may be showing my ignorance here, but, is this to mean that Karo has a Brown Sugar Flavor in addition to their Light and Dark Corn Syrups?? Sorry if this makes me sound really out there, but, I just thought I'd ask.

I was wondering that myself, so I went to the Karo website. They do now have a "Karo Corn Syrup with Real Brown Sugar" Click here!

I looked at the grocery store yesterday but couldn't find it. I guess it's not out in Canada.