• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the Simpsons

Schielke

does anyone remember the flaming moe episode?

i just remember the girl comes in to apply for a job and says:

i am here about the sign

moe replies:

the one that says bartenders do it til you barf

she replies:

no the one above it (which says helo wanted)

what was the secret ingredient in a flaming moe?

"Thy food shall be thy medicine" -Hippocrates

what was the secret ingredient in a flaming moe?

Wasn't it Krusty the Klown grape cough syrup?

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

What about the one where the cafeteria lady is back in the kitchen adding - something - to the stew pot with the line "More testicles means more iron!"

Or Martin in the Kamp Krusty episode: "Sweet, nourishing gruel!"

Edited by Devilkitty (log)

Charlie

Walled Lake, Michigan

You guys have hit almost all my favorites: the breakfast morning burger, Homer gains weight episode, Mr. Pinchy, Homer sues the all-you-can-eat restaurant (I was laughing before I even saw the episode based just on the TV Guide description).

Another favorite is the party sub that Homer takes home with him from an office picnic. It's too big to fit in the fridge so he just stores it behind the radiator and eats off of it whenever he remembers to. Hilarity and salmonella ensue!

Oh, and that reminds me of Apu repeatedly selling expired lunch meat and room-temperature shrimp to Homer at discounted prices . . .

Upon having eaten a bunch of shrimp from the Quickie Mart at a special 'past its sell date' price: "Vision fading...must eat faster"

not an exact quote, but love it.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

• 2 weeks later...

"That's it kids...suckle daddy's giant sugar ball"

(80 pound caramel coated cotton candy ball)

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

Can't believe no one's mentioned the episode where Homer (with lots of help from Lisa) becomes the restaurant critic for the paper.

Can't believe nobody's mentioned my favorite line in that episode:

Editor: We're looking for a new food critic. Someone who doesn't immediately poo-poo everything he eats.

Homer: No, it usually takes a few hours.

I particularly love two food mentions in The Simpsons:

Apu takes Marge to her first warehouse store and she exclaims:

"This is a fair price for twelve pounds of nutmeg."

Homer is in the Kwik-E-Mart and Apu has put on sale several pounds of "not so fresh" shrimp. Homer bargains with Apu about the price and begins eating. As Homer eats, he begins turning colors. Partway through the pile, Homer realizes the shrimp are spoiled and utters,

"Something wrong with these shrimp (chomp chomp), they weren't fresh! (chomp chomp) MUST FINISH!"

After which you hear sirens as they speed Homer to the hospital.

• 3 weeks later...

i just had to add my favorite:

When the Simpson's go to New York City and Homer buys chalchalesh and crab juice from the street vendor.

You also see the chalchalesh vendor in Springfield's Little Russia district, or some such.

I don't think this one is in here yet, but I use it all the time. From the Springfield Isotopes moving to Albuquerque episode, at the end of Homer's hunger strike.

"Me so hungy."

Also, the song Homer sings while chained to his lawn chair (which I don't use, just find hilarious).

Dancing away my hunger pains

Moving my feet so my stomach won't hurt

I'm kind of like Jesus

But not in a sacreligeous way

Are we allowed to talk about other cartoons, like say, Futurama & Family Guy? There's an episode of Futurama where Fry eats a bavarian hotdog (the wiener is filled with bavarian cream) & he says something about it being the perfect combination. :raz:

Then there's the episode where Fry eats an egg salad sandwich that he got from a vending machine in a truck/ship stop washroom :blink:

And the Slurm episode, ewww!! :blink:

In the Family Guy, Peter & Brian visit a Willy Wonka-esque factory where they discover pop that never goes flat.

What about the Fleet-a-Pita episode? Whenever husband and I go to any Middle Eastern eatery, we always joke (in a surly voice, natch) about ordering "reshnikabab."

We also tend to use the Terri/Sherri line about being hungry enough to eat at Arby's quite a bit.

Oh, and I know I'll get this wrong, but it goes something like: So I says, red m-and-m, green m-and-m, eh, they all come out the same color in the end---one of my fave lines ever.

Hoping I'm not infringing on any copyrights, here.

Gourmet Anarchy

Then there's the episode where Fry eats an egg salad sandwich that he got from a vending machine in a truck/ship stop washroom  :blink:

Ok,officially my husband and I watch way too many cartoons. That's one epi we frequently quote anytime egg salad is brought up (what kind of eggs?).

Speaking of eggs, and bringing back around to the Simpson's, gotta love the dead roach floating in the pickled egg vat when the health inspector comes around.

Gourmet Anarchy

Are we allowed to talk about other cartoons, like say, Futurama & Family Guy? 

well if we're talking Family Guy, there is the episode where Chris is trying to lose weight by running after a twinkie tied to a stick on his forehead. when he catches it he says 'I'm going to turn you into poo!'

:biggrin:

• 14 years later...

Reviving this ancient discussion to post a scene-by-scene recreation of Homer's Food Trip through New Orleans:

"Homer, Katrin and Janine Eat Their Way Through New Orleans"

They matched the food and even matched Homer's moves.

I laughed...and then took an antacid. xD

• Haha 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver