• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the Simpsons

Schielke

Also in the Homer weight gain episode:

His shopping trip shows some great products on the shelves. One I remember was a tube of something called Chubb.

Then he had his imaginary hill to climb from his current weight to the disability weight. The pig was encouraging him and homer took a bite out of the side of the pig.

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

And don't forget

Oh Margey you came and you found me a turkey

On my vacation away from workey

(To the tune of 'Mandy')

I'm reading the whole thread and it took a long time to get to "Marge you found me a turkey..." song! We find many reasons to sing that around our house. :raz:

Maybe this has already been mentioned.... I can't be bothered to read back that far.

Remember the Guatemalan insanity peppers? So hot, they made Homer hallucinate a talking coyote with the voice of Johnny Cash.

amanda

Googlista

Maybe this has already been mentioned.... I can't be bothered to read back that far.

Remember the Guatemalan insanity peppers? So hot, they made Homer hallucinate a talking coyote with the voice of Johnny Cash.

It was, but it bears re-mentioning.

"Hey mister, you don't wanna eat wax!!"

"Maybe I do, son...maybe I do..."

My fave episode animation-wise. Looks like the whole thing was drawn by Kurt and Chris Kirkwood of The Meat Puppets (or by someone who's spent entirely too much time in the desert, anyway).

Gourmet Anarchy

"Mmm... 64 slices of American cheese."

Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about.

Troy McClure, hosting the film, The Meat Council Presents: Meat and You - Partners in Freedom

I'm glad someone brought up the homer obesity episode. That's a classic. I wish I could remember quotes better.

Another episode I'd like to remember quotes from better is the Halloween episode where homer eats the forbidden donut. I love that Flanders is the devil. There are some great bits when Homer spends the night in hell and they try to do aversion torture on him by feeding him donut after donut and he never becomes averse. Here are some quotes:

Homer: (reading note) "Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." Bastard! He's always one step ahead!

Sleepwalking he opens the fridge and finds the last bite in the frig with the sign "Forbidden Donut".

Homer: Mmmm. Forbidden donut.

After Homer's head has been turned into a donut:

Marge: Homer, stop picking at it!

Homer: Oh, but I'm so sweet and tasty!

Edited by ExtraMSG (log)

I. can't. stop.

Old man: Take this doll, but beware; it carries a terrible curse.

Homer: Ooo, that's bad.

Old man: But it comes with a free serving of frozen yoghurt!

Homer: That's good!

Old man: The frozen yoghurt is also cursed.

Homer: That's bad.

Old man: But it comes with your choice of toppings!

Old man: The toppings contain potassium benzoate...

Homer: (confused look)

Old man: That's bad.

Homer: Can I go now?

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

I. can't. stop.

Old man: Take this doll, but beware; it carries a terrible curse.

Homer: Ooo, that's bad.

Old man: But it comes with a free serving of frozen yoghurt!

Old man: The frozen yoghurt is also cursed.

Homer: That's bad.

Old man: But it comes with your choice of toppings!

Old man: The toppings contain potassium benzoate...

Homer: (confused look)

Old man: That's bad.

Homer: Can I go now?

He he, frogurt!

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

"Mmm... 64 slices of American cheese."

moe tries to explain "double indemnity" style insurance scam to homer--diagrams the fake car crash with an olive representing homer. homer pops the olive in his mouth and says, "mmmm.....me".

and then there's, "mmmmm...forbidden doughnut" from the treehouse of horror episode where flanders is the devil. this may be the definitive homer "mmmmm" in the age of atkins.

A couple of posts in flagrant violation of The eGullet.com User Agreement and more specifically The eGullet Coyright & Fair Use Policy were removed from this thread. Please continue to discuss the food related scenes on the Simpsons, but please refrain from extensive quoting of dilogue. Many members have managed to post their own thoughts and to paraphrase the action and dialogue successfully without infringing on the intellectual rights of the creators and owners of the show's content.

Edited by Bux (log)

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

i can't believe with all the mentions of the obesity episode no one mentioned dr nick's advice on weight gain...

"instead of chewing on gum, chew on bacon."

also the eastern european cafeteria chef's recipe for gravy "it's just brown and water" which i think may also be my mothers recipe

"i bet you smell like strawberry ice cream... the good kind" - e.dunn

Frosting Gobs cereal is a great one too...

and the Good Morning Burger...does ANYone remember that one?

and the one where Homer's golfing with Mr. Burns and Monty yells, "Use an open-faced club...a sand wedge!" and Homer replies, "Hmmmmm...open-faced club sandwich.."

or when Homer feels like a failure and he is conscientiously dipping his hand into a bag of flour and Marge says, "Oh, Homer...wouldn't you rather have your sugar bag?" and he says, "I don't deserve sugar."

there is actually a shopping mall here with these two related names in the food court: The Happy Sumo and Humphrey Yogurt....

I swear sometimes I live in Springfield, but then I remember that Springfield would be fun....

"Make me some mignardises, &*%$@!" -Mateo

• 3 weeks later...

I'm so glad someone mentioned the gummi Venus de Milo. I also liked when Homer and Lisa become restaurant critics and he starts reviewing Marge's cooking. Did anyone catch last week what was the only wine available at Moe's? What is it worth, anyway?

And of course, there is the Pulp Fiction riff between the policemen - a Krustyburger with cheese is called a quarter pounder with cheese. "Quarter pounder with cheese? Well, I can picture the cheese..."

--adoxograph

• 1 year later...

Last night featured two episodes, including the landmark 350th, but it was #351 that rocked. "Scammer and Z-Dog" vending machines are installed in Springfield Elementary, and Bart ends up getting so overweight that he's sent to fat camp. This episode was almost purely food-related. My favorite scenes included:

* The fat camp instructor exhorting overweighties Kent Brockman, Rainer Wolfcastle and one other I forget to tame their ice-cream cravings by talking disparagingly to the stuff. Wolfcastle: "Now here's the scoop: Your Haagen days are over. I'm Baskin in your pain. I'm Robbin you of your life."

* Bart attempts to destroy the vending machine, which then threatens him with, "Yo! I'm gonna cap a pop in your ass!"

* Homer claiming, "I'm not too fat. I'm alive, aren't I?"

There were so many other good lines. Thank God for TiVo.

Plus... Albert Brooks!

Last night featured two episodes, including the landmark 350th, but it was #351 that rocked.  "Scammer and Z-Dog" vending machines are installed in Springfield Elementary, and Bart ends up getting so overweight that he's sent to fat camp.  This episode was almost purely food-related.  My favorite scenes included:

* The fat camp instructor exhorting overweighties Kent Brockman, Rainer Wolfcastle and one other I forget to tame their ice-cream cravings by talking disparagingly to the stuff.  Wolfcastle:  "Now here's the scoop:  Your Haagen days are over.  I'm Baskin in your pain.  I'm Robbin you of your life."

*  Bart attempts to destroy the vending machine, which then threatens him with, "Yo!  I'm gonna cap a pop in your ass!"

*  Homer claiming, "I'm not too fat.  I'm alive, aren't I?"

There were so many other good lines.  Thank God for TiVo.

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

The episode in which Homer and Marge meet for the first time when Marge is at summer camp as a child. Homer falls into the lake and washes up on the shore of a 'fat camp'. The counselor/guard tells him that 'no one escapes from fat camp! The exit is up a gentle slope!'

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA