• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the Simpsons

Schielke

Drink too!

I recently caught something that Homer said under his stinky breath in an episode I've seen more than twice. It was the one with Ron Howard, Kim Basinger and Alec Baldwin and he serves as their personal assistant.

He mixed up vodka and wheat grass, burped in Ron Howard's face and named it a "Lawnmower."

:laugh:

Well worth while.

"Listen boy, crying isn't going to bring your dog back. Well, unless your tears smell like dog food. So you can either sit there crying and eating can after can of dog food until your tears smell enough like dog food to make your dog come back -- or you can go out there and find your dog!"

Mmmmm. Dog food. Aaaaarrrggghhh.

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

Perhaps my favorite of all time is the "Death by Chocolate" pastry the french chef makes to kill Homer in the episode where he is the restaurant critic and all the chefs want to kill him.

"It has 1 million calories"

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

I think it was just this last year when Homer made a massive man-sized carnival-like confection that he became obsessed with. I can't remember if it was a huge sugar ball or what. It set up this brilliant exchange:

(Homer and Marge are in bed)

Marge (to Homer): Homer, are you spooning the candy?

Homer (to candy, whispering secretively): That's my old lady.

Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about.

Troy McClure, hosting the film, The Meat Council Presents: Meat and You - Partners in Freedom

OK, just one more and then I have to get back to work:

The classic episode where Marge starts a pretzel company, backed by the mob, but finally brought down by the Japanese Yakuza.

In the beginning, the Investorettes are planning their next move:

Edna: Oh, oh!  How about OklaSoft!  It's Oklahoma's fastest-growing software company!

Maude: Um, cushions!  Everybody likes to sit on cushions.

Agnes: Children are so fat today.  Isn't there some way we could make money off that?

Actually, I wonder how many times that last line has been repeated in America's boardrooms.

Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about.

Troy McClure, hosting the film, The Meat Council Presents: Meat and You - Partners in Freedom

I think it was just this last year when Homer made a massive man-sized carnival-like confection that he became obsessed with.  I can't remember if it was a huge sugar ball or what.

I remember that one. What the hell was that thing made of?

beans: there are so many good drinking references in the Simpsons they might even be un-listable! So let's list them, starting with the Classic: "Mmm. Beer."

EDIT: to say that I have never seen the episode where Homer is a restaurant critic. :angry:

Edited by NeroW (log)

Noise is music. All else is food.

I think it was just this last year when Homer made a massive man-sized carnival-like confection that he became obsessed with.  I can't remember if it was a huge sugar ball or what.

beans: there are so many good drinking references in the Simpsons they might even be un-listable! So let's list them, starting with the Classic: "Mmm. Beer."

EDIT: to say that I have never seen the episode where Homer is a restaurant critic. :angry:

Didn't they somehow end up with a machine that made carnival food? Both cotton candy and caramel apples? And homer dipped one into the other until it was a giant ball off sitcky goodness?

Gourmet Anarchy

Ralph: "I ated the purple berries."

Bart: "How are they Ralph? Good?"

Ralph: "They taste like burning!"

also from that episode:

Nelson: I'm so hungry I could puke!

Sherri (or Terri): I'm so hungry I could eat at Arby's!

Gourmet Anarchy

How about the Fleet O' Pita van and franchise? Didn't it play "Don't Stop" by Fleetwood Mac? It was when Marge was dabbling in the food industry, selling hot pretzels, I think. The "Fleet" van was her competition.

Looked back at the simpsons reference page.

The Fat and the Furriest (#EABF19 / SI-1419) 30 Nov 2003

After another failed Mother's Day gift, Homer takes the kids to Sprawl-Mart and ends up buying a Kitchen Carnival for Marge. Homer uses the Carnival to create an edible candy man, but Marge finally forces him to take it to the Springfield Dump - where he's promptly attacked by a bear. When he's labelled a coward by the media, Homer builds a bear-fighting suit, and after some Jackass style testing antics sets out to confront the bear.

Fortunately for us, this episode will be on Sunday, March 21.

mmmmm tomacco....

"It tastes like grandma"

I so want to see that episode...I've only seen it once.

This is my favorite Simpsons link and where the quote from the Canyonero song came from. It only has about 24 songs, but those are complete. Maybe someone has a better song link? My personal favs are the Canyonero song, the Stonecutters song and the See My Vest song. ("See my loafers/former gophers/It was that or skin my chauffeurs" hehe!)

http://tim.rawle.org/simpsons/songs.php

SML

"When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University!" --Ralph Wiggum

"I don't support the black arts: magic, fortune telling and oriental cookery." --Flanders

Let's not forget about the pampered but ultimately doomed lobster Mr. Pinchy!

Homer: [eating, crying] Oh, man, that's good. [sob] Pass the butter.

Bart: Are you gonna eat that all by yourself?

Homer: Uh-huh. Pinchy would've wanted it this way. My dear, sweet Pinchy. [takes a bite] No more pain where you are now, boy. [rips him in half and sucks out the meat inside.] Oh, God, that's tasty! I wish Pinchy were here to enjoy this. [takes more bites] Oh, Pinchy...

Same episode also featured the world's worst health food:

Lisa: Ah, this is my kind of aisle. Soy substitutes, whizless cheese ... [gasps] oven-roasted cud! And it's packed in its own drool!

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

And don't forget when Homer climbs the "Murderhorn" fueled by "POWERSAUCE" bars.

After he's made it about halfway up, the two PR guys from the company try to get him to come down by telling him that they're mainly made up of old Chinese newspapers.

Homer looks at the bar he's eating and exclaims "Deng Xiaopeng died!!!"

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

And don't forget when Homer climbs the "Murderhorn" fueled by "POWERSAUCE" bars.

After he's made it about halfway up, the two PR guys from the company try to get him to come down by telling him that they're mainly made up of old Chinese newspapers.

Homer looks at the bar he's eating and exclaims "Deng Xiaopeng died!!!"

"I'm getting sauced with PowerSauce!" How could I have forgotten that!

SML

"When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University!" --Ralph Wiggum

"I don't support the black arts: magic, fortune telling and oriental cookery." --Flanders

During a visit to noted physician, Dr. Nick Riviera, seeking advice on getting fat(so as to qualify for disability), Homer is told that when in doubt about suitable foods, he should rub a piece of paper against the item:

"If it makes it clear so you can see right through it, it's your window to weight gain!"

Lisa trying to explain why neither ham, bacon or pork chops qualify as vegetables:

Lisa: "Dad! They're all from the same animal!"

Homer: "Sure, Lisa...a magical animal....."

Big Tony, befuddled by the overreaction to his new dairy operation:

" Everybody likes rats..Why don't they like the rats' milk?"

I also enjoyed the "Texas Cheescake Depository" restaurant. Mo's family restaurant venture. The conveyor belts leading to the same kitchen from all the Squid Port ethnic restaurants. Skittlebrau. Anything Lunch Lady Doris says...The priceless Troy McClure educational short explaining the meat industry. "He'd kill you if he could" ..."ToMacco"...James Woods scraping out the microwave at the Kwikie Mart..."Mmmm...America Balls!" ...

And nothing to do with food--but the "Electric Needle Hut" at the leper colony .

abourdain

Perhaps my favorite of all time is the "Death by Chocolate" pastry the french chef makes to kill Homer in the episode where he is the restaurant critic and all the chefs want to kill him.

"It has 1 million calories"

and don't forget the "land of chocolate" reverie in the "burns verkaufen der kraftwerk" episode. homer skipping around in the land of chocolate--the little chocolate dog come yipping up, he picks it up and takes a big, beatific bite out of it.

another favorite minor character is the maitre'd from recent years: the one with the botox smile who always greets people with a "YAAAAYSE?"

I'm also a big Pinchey the lobster fan. And I really want to try a Flaming Homer umm... Flaming Moe...whatever...

As for that Yaaaayse waiter guy... At some point (probably 3:00 am in the morning) I will remember the actor's name this character is based on. This guy also appeared in a lot of 50's tv shows...most notably I Love Lucy...

Edited to add: Oh yeah his name is Frank Nelson. I should not know this stuff, I really shouldn't.

Edited by TrishCT (log)

and i've learned a lot from homer's sushi eating technique. still haven't tried any fugu though.

another favorite minor character is the maitre'd from recent years: the one with the botox smile who always greets people with a "YAAAAYSE?"

"Why do you talk like that?"

"Because I had a STROOOOOOKE!"

If only the space in my brain used to store Simpson's quotes could be erased and replaced with useful information...or at least information that would be useful in passing 2 semesters of Organic Chem.

Gourmet Anarchy