• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oceana

TCD

Every time I eat here -- and it is not infrequently -- I walk out thinking, why isn't this a place that everyone is always talking about and sending people to? Why isn't Cornelius Gallagher a star?

OTOH, I'm happy that I can always get a table.

I mean a star in the "celebrity" sense. If you asked most people -- not you and me, obviously -- to name the very top chefs in New York, I'll bet few would mention Neal Gallagher. But I think that's clearly the level he operates on.

(I mean, you don't see threads here breathlessly talking about what "Neal" had for breakfast that day, or what color socks he was wearing, or deconstructing his website.)

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

(I mean, you don't see threads here breathlessly talking about what "Neal" had for breakfast that day, or what color socks he was wearing, or deconstructing his website.)

That would be scary... the fondness of our culture for useless personal information really boggles my mind. Do we really talk about what someone like ...say Daniel Boulud has for B-fast? Do we really care?

For my own selfish sense, I kinda like it this way. At least I can still get a reservation there...for now.

Neal is better than Rick Moonen....that I totally agree with. Although, I'm not sure what Mr. Moonen is doing right now after the demise of RM. Do we know what he had for B-fast orwhat color socks is he wearing? :biggrin:

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

I have often asked the same question. Why are we not seeing and reading more about Neal Gallagher?

And the answer I generally get is many still consider Oceana an old school type of restaurant and that stereotype is difficult to overcome.

Unfortunately it seems like true talent often takes a back seat press wise to what is new and hot at the moment.

Robert R

Do we know what he had for B-fast orwhat color socks is he wearing?  :biggrin:

Western omelet, eggs still soft; rye toast, well done, buttered; home fries, no bell pepper; cranberry juice and tea with honey.

Navy blue with a thin light gray vertical stripe, gold toe, 100 percent cotton.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Do we know what he had for B-fast orwhat color socks is he wearing?   :biggrin:

Western omelet, eggs still soft; rye toast, well done, buttered; home fries, no bell pepper; cranberry juice and tea with honey.

Rich, my boy...I'm starting to get worried... :smile:

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

Do we know what he had for B-fast orwhat color socks is he wearing?   :biggrin:

What farm were the eggs from?

What kind of tea?

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

• 4 weeks later...

After reading the reviews on this thread, boyfriend and I went here tonight to celebrate a new job. The restaurant really lives up to its praises. First, the room was great - wonderful acoustics where we could hear each other but couldn't hear everyone else's conversations.

For an amuse, we had a fluke tartar, some kind of serrano ham salsify and a fish broth type thing, all delish. For appetizers, I had the tuna tartar - a bit spicy for me but great flavors. Boyfriend had scallop ceviche which was incredibly smooth and flavorful.

For entrees, I had the black bass with asparagus and a variety of potatoes. Delish. Boyfriend had a cod special with white asparagus wrapped in prosciutto, sauteed radishes (which were absolutely amazing) and a side of heavenly Yukon gold potatoes.

For dessert, we had the cheese plate - 9 different types of cheeses with grapes, walnuts and apples. We also had the cherry doughnut - a warm fried doughnot topped by a tart gooseberry ice cream with cherries on the bottom.

All in all, a wonderful meal. The service was superb, understated and professional.

Edited by elicious (log)

• 1 month later...
Florence Fabricant reports in today's Times that Cornelius Gallagher has left Oceana to assume the position of executive chef with a catering company.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/30/dining/3...html?ref=dining

Probably a big improvement in his lifestyle, but too bad for us.

No kidding. He's a good chef and a decent person.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

He is a good person and an excellent chef. I can't wait until he opens his own restaurant. Either that, or we'll have to all get luxury catering.

Oh yeah? Well, he's an outstanding chef and a super guy. :laugh: I think my superlatives are just a little more restrained than yours. And you are right.

When I first started looking for Externships, he was one of the few chefs to call me when he got my resume, even to say, "we're set for that period; let me know if your timing changes." At a F&W event, too, he made sure to introduce himself to all the student chefs and brought his sous, who he called his right-hand. Not all of them did that and we all remembered.

Own restaurant, eh? I'll be there.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
Oh sorry.  Misread you.  That's great that you were able to dodge that bullet!

Sorry again.

I was wondering if anyone has ventured to "take the bullet" since Chef Bollinger took over?

I think it's sad that Gallagher left as well. Although I never ate at Oceana during his tenure (or, ever, for that matter), I did enjoy a dish he prepared at an event in Chicago a couple of years ago... in fact, it was the best of the tasting I sampled that night.

I would also love to see Gallagher re-surface somewhere else, on his own, or elsewhere where I can dine.

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

• 1 month later...

had to bump this thread up.

oceana's kept their michelin star for 3 years now, and its still 3 star NYT. Ben Pollinger is the new chef and he's got quite a resume (Tabla, Union Square, Delouvrier) and the pastry chef is from Ducasse.

$78 prix fixe or $100 tasting. Anyone been? Any info?

Edited by chefboy24 (log)

• 1 year later...

I'll give the thread another bump. A friend we will be dining with in New York said that this is his favorite restaurant. Any recent visits or opinions (I read the Bruni review and know that the restaurant will be moving later this year). Robyn

I'll give the thread another bump.  A friend we will be dining with in New York said that this is his favorite restaurant.  Any recent visits or opinions (I read the Bruni review and know that the restaurant will be moving later this year).  Robyn

I had lunch at Oceana at the end of December (Christmas Eve day) and the place was a ghost town. Unfortunately, the manager (with only two other tables occupied) tried to seat me at the worst table. When I declined the table, he brought me to the second worst table--I didn't want to make too much of a fuss in front of my guest, so I took the table. The place (for the next two hours) filled only another 3 tables. The food was very good though. Unfortunately what I'll remember is not the food, but the stupidity of the manager. I might have considered returning, but the stupidity of the manager was a real turn-off. The wait staff was attentive. Funny how restaurants don't realize that the internet exists, and I can post here (and on other sites) and plenty of people are now aware that Oceana has service problems. Too bad for them.

Were you alone - or with another woman - or a guy?  This kind of thing still happens with women (with men too - though less frequently).  Robyn

I was with a guy. If I was with another woman, the manager would have probably insisted that I take the first table.