• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sara Moulton Cooks at Home

=Mark

For me, at least, Sara Moulton comes across as very high on the "believeable" scale.

Maybe it's because she doesn't have a lot of outside publicity (Emeril's restaurant empire or Martha's legendary army of helpers come to mind), but you get the sense she can do it all herself.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

She's one of the best and very, very sexy!!!! There's no sign for drooling is there?

But alas, she's married and a mother of two or three. I forget if it's two girls and a boy or a girl and a boy.

The book is excellent so far - just got it yesterday.

I would expect nothing less from someone who had Julia Child as a mentor - (not the sexy part).

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

And she's 50 and looks mid-30s.

So the article says.....

Moulton, 50, says she had not written a book previously because she had just been too busy. After all, she has three jobs: program host at the Food Network, chef at Gourmet and food editor at ABC's "Good Morning, America."

And about the children.....

She also is the mother of 16-year-old Ruthie and 12-year-old Sam.

I like her because she actually makes mistakes in the kitchen! :laugh: Plus she's had some interesting guests along the way. My husband isn't quite as big of a fan, though.

Debi

No, and it's hard to believe. But the story =Mark linked us to says so, and also that Moulton has been in kitchens for 25 years. On the Food Network website it says that "After years of training and working in restaurants, her displeasure over the industry's sexism led her to co-found the New York Women's Culinary Alliance—an 'old girls' network' designed to help women in the food business—in 1982." She's been in the business a long time.

http://www.foodtv.com/celebrities/moultonb...0,3400,,00.html

Edited by gfron1 (log)

She's my fave. I've a little girl crush too. I've always been impressed that she admits to her mistakes on air, like mistaking the salt for sugar in baking. How many other tv chefs would admit to that? Makes cooking more accessible to home cooks.

Wow!

50!(although I'm getting very close to it myself)

when I still lived in NYC a few years ago, I saw her walking across W23rd st. to go into the Burritoville there and I thought she was 25 or something!

To me she is supercute, a really good cook and I loved watching her 'cooking live' show mainly because of the guests she would have.

2317/5000

• 2 years later...

Thanks to the early rising infant in our house, I saw a rerun of Sara's Secrets last weekend, and it reminded me of why she is such a breath of fresh air on the so-often overblown FTV network. She delivers a range of information that is just as thoughtful as the justly admired Alton Brown: either the tips are things I don't know -- and thus I appreciate them -- or they are things that I think are important for others to know -- and thus I appreciate them. And the show's style suits me a lot better, more folksy Julia and less flashy, skittish MTV-video. No clichés involving kicking or exclamations that rhyme with spam, either, which is always a plus.

Turns out she's got her own website these days, which tells that she's doing a signing in Ohio this weekend, for fans in the Buckeye State. There's some other interesting stuff there, too....

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

She has one show currently running, "Sara's Secrets". The bad news was that in an interview from a couple months ago she stated that her show wasn't the kind of show that the powers-that-be of the FN want on their air anymore. I believe she also said her show would not be renewed.

Too bad...her other show "Cooking Live" was an extraordinarily well done show. It was one of my favorite FN shows.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I must admit that i'm one of her deserters. I don't know why, I used to watch her all the time, then one day the magic wasn't there anymore. Not that I watch any FN anymore, I really can't think of a show that I really watch on the FN, except Iron Chef. I still love Sara though, she is the most likeable person on the FN, alot in common with my own mother. It's ironic my mother's mother also reminded me of Julia. I really can't think of another program on there. Please FN, please keep her. She's one of the most well connected, knowledgable folks that you've got.

To me she is supercute, a really good cook and I loved watching her 'cooking live' show mainly because of the guests she would have.

The very first time I saw Anthony Bourdain on TFN was on the evening version of Cooking Live. I think they were doing French Bistro food, and I thought he seemed....less than comfortable. I can't remember who the other guy was on the show.

Of all the female hosts on TFN, Sara Moulton was definitely my favourite. Some slightly annoying habits (I remember she often used the phrase, "turkey lurkey") but no where near as many as the current crop of hosts. Plus she seemed to really know what she was doing.