• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking Basmati rice

rstarobi

I tried my hand at a Basmati rice dish last night, using Julie Sahni's Classic Indian Cooking. The dish called for the rice to be prepared by 1/2 hour of steeping, then some frying (until translucent) and then about 20 minutes of cooking at various temperatures with the reserved water from steeping. The ratio of water to rice was 2:1.

When finished, the rice had a watery taste to me, not the rice-y taste that I associate with Basmati. What did I do wrong?

"Long live democracy, free speech and the '69 Mets; all improbable, glorious miracles that I have always believed in."

Sound right. Here is what I do. Steep as you did. Sautee, then cook the rice with the water, uncovered on high heat, till it comes to a rolling boil. Cover and cook on the lowest possible heat till all the water is absorbed. This should do it, sounds like maybe all the water did not dry up.

If you do not wish to sautee, add a few drops of oil to the boiling water, it will ensure that each grain of rice separates when cooking.. a wonderful trick

let me know if this works :smile:

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

I wash my Basmati rice several times until the water is clear, do the 2:1 ratio of water:rice, cover. When it begins to boil, lower the heat to really low, slight slimmer.

Is the method below supposed to be used to get more of a pilaf?

I've had good results with this recipe given to me by a Parsi friend of mine.

Basmati Rice

Serves 6

2 cups (500 ml) basmati rice

2 teaspoons (10 ml) salt

1 tablespoon (15 ml) canola oil

5 green cardamom pods

5 whole cloves

Wash the rice in cold water until the water is clear, rubbing the grains gently between your fingers. Pour four cups water into a medium-size pot and dissolve the salt. Add the oil and bring to a boil. Add the rice, stir once, add the spices, stir again, cover and reduce to lowest heat. Continue to cook for 20 minutes. Turn off the heat, remove the lid, and with a spatula, turn the rice over (it will be moist at the bottom). Leave it for a few more minutes, uncovered, for the moisture to be absorbed.

The version I have come up with is:

1/2 onion finely chopped

1 T ghee/canola/or corn oil, in order of preference

1 cup basmati rice

1 bay leaf

2 to 3 cardomon pods

1 to 2 cloves

1/2 t whole cumin seeds

1/2 t turmeric

1/2 t salt

1 3/4 cups water

Let rice soak in 2 cups water for 30 minutes. The quality of the rice determines whether or not it should also be washed, but most basmati rice sold in North America should not require much washing.

In a heavy oven-proof pot lightly saute onion until it is translucent. Add the spices and saute quickly . (The amounts listed are approximations and should be adjusted to taste) Sometimes I add 1/4 t of Patak mild curry paste. Strain the rice and saute it lightly as well. After the rice is very lightly tanned and mixed well with the spices, add the water and bring to a boil.

At this point you can either, lower the heat and cook on the stove top for about 20 minutes or move the pot to a low oven, 300 F, and let cook for about 15 minutes. The oven-baked rice has a richer taste, but you must be careful not to let it overcook.

I wash my Basmati rice several times until the water is clear, do the 2:1 ratio of water:rice, cover.  When it begins to boil, lower the heat to really low, slight slimmer.

Yes, I think "slight simmer" is very important here. We have to remember that we don't all cook on gas. I've been misled a few times with recipes that say "reduce to lowest setting". Took me a while to figure out that this does not apply to an electric stove :wink:

I think rstarobi's basmati rice question has been answered multiple times. Just wanted to list the three things that are not variable (I make it at home practically every night)

MUSTS -

Washing 3/4 times until water is almost clear

Double the water

Cook on as low as possible with a lid

VARIABLES -

Steeping

Frying with spices (although it tastes great, try it with mace sometime)

Also, the quality of the basmati itself makes a difference. Where did you get yours from?

-indiagirl

Indiagirl-nice way to wrap up previous comments. As for your question, we buy it from an Indian grocery store..it's from Mumbai, and really excellent.

To Vivre manger--that is pretty much my recipe for pilaf, except that I add cinnamon sticks and dal. Really tasty.

Edited by nerissa (log)

I think rstarobi's basmati rice question has been answered multiple times. Just wanted to list the three things that are not variable (I make it at home practically every night)

MUSTS -

Washing 3/4 times until water is almost clear

Double the water

Cook on as low as possible with a lid

VARIABLES -

Steeping

Frying with spices (although it tastes great, try it with mace sometime)

Also, the quality of the basmati itself makes a difference. Where did you get yours from?

-indiagirl

I think I missed out on the washing step, and as BettyK said earlier, my problem might have been with reducing to the lowest setting on an electric stovetop.

The rice I used was Bombay brand Basmati in the four pound bag (on sale - maybe that should have been a warning).

From the gist of the answers though, it sounds like my mistake was in somewhat undercooking the rice.

"Long live democracy, free speech and the '69 Mets; all improbable, glorious miracles that I have always believed in."

I use Madhur Jaffrey's recipe for basmati finished in the oven, from "An Invitation to Indian Cooking." Basically, you parboil it for 5 minutes, drain, and put in a pot with a heavy lid (with foil under the lid) and bake it - it finishes in the steam. Never fails.

I love that cookbook so much.

• 2 weeks later...
The rice I used was Bombay brand Basmati in the four pound bag (on sale - maybe that should have been a warning).

rstarobi - if i'm not mistaken, i've used that brand before and it's been fine.

don't let the sale thing put you off - i've bought the same brinad for the last three years - tilda (which also happens to be a type of basmati) - and it's been on sale the whole time!!!

rstarobi - if i'm not mistaken, i've used that brand before and it's been fine.

don't let the sale thing put you off - i've bought the same brinad for the last three years - tilda (which also happens to be a type of basmati) - and it's been on sale the whole time!!!

What do you think of Tilda?

Is it any good?

yes, i like tilda a lot. very long grains, always stay separate. even when i just steam the rice.

a little lacking in the slight nuttiness i remember basmati in indian having. but i was not as tuned in to ingredient quality then, so i'm not sure.

tilda also takes a lot of washing. i suspect, though, that has nothing to doo with the brand but more to do with the fact that it is transported and the rice grains get crushed and possbily coated with a fine powder that would make the rice sticky if it were not washed well ... that's just my theory though

i can't bring myself to conduct that experiment at the risk of deliberately wasting the rice .....

What is the difference between basmati and jasmine rice? I have been buying locally grown (well, from down in the bootheel--relatively local) jasmine rice--mmmmm.

Terrific fragrance and flavor. The farmer says it is so flavorful because they don't hull it until they are ready to ship. If I pick it up at the mill, it is $7 for a 25 pound bag.

sparrowgrass

What is the difference between basmati and jasmine rice?  I have been buying locally grown (well, from down in the bootheel--relatively local) jasmine rice--mmmmm.

Terrific fragrance and flavor.  The farmer says it is so flavorful because they don't hull it until they are ready to ship.  If I pick it up at the mill, it is $7 for a 25 pound bag.

Basmati rice is longer grain and less starchy. It is different in fragrance.

I personally love the fragrance of basmati.

It also cooks much better.

And basmati rice ages well and the older it gets, the better it is to cook with.

• 2 weeks later...

Few things to follow when cooking basmati Rice:

Wash and soak rice for approx 20 minutes.

Heat a heavy bottom pot and add oil.

When oil is really hot, add whole spices as spelt in the Recipe.

Add drained rice and salt and hot water.

Do not fry the rice, trust me this does not make a difference, though almost all Recipes ask for it.

Rice needs to be cooked at high heat.

Bring to boil and cover, stirring more than a couple of times.

When water has almost evaporated, place pot in preheated 350 F for 10 minutes.

Remove pot, uncover the lid and break open the rice with a spatula.

Transfer rice in another shallow container, to avoid further cooking.

:smile:

What do you guys think of "Texmati" ? Is it a worthy hybrid for use in indian cooking?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

What do you guys think of "Texmati" ? Is it a worthy hybrid for use in indian cooking?

Nyet ! If you are in Montevideo,Uruguay and basmati is unavailable at the local grocery store, then by all means use texamati......

anil

I do find that Basmati rice requires more water than jasmine rice. However a 2:1 ratio of water:rice seems a bit much, certainly for my taste, especially if you are steeping it. How about 1.5:1? Closer to 2:1 only if you don't steep it.

v

Ah right - I get it now!

My rice cooking method is always to bring to the boil, turn the heat down to the lowest for 10 minutes, then switch off heat and leave with cover on for 10 minutes Pan lid on from beginning to end, although I know you can leave it off during the initial bringing to the boil period. It works for me and I don't have to think too much about it. But it does mean that I am particular about not adding too much water. I want the grains nice and dry and separate at the end.

v