• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

roasting vegetables

mikeczyz

i roasted a medley of vegetables to accompany some braised meat. all of them turned ot wonderfully, exccept for the parsnips. they were sort of stringy.....strange texture. are roasted parsnips always like that? is roasting not a great technique for parsnips? were the parsnips of inferior quality?

mike

You could blanch the parsnips first in boiling water which softens them a bit. Then season with salt and pepper and place in REALLY HOT fat before roasting. This crisps up the outside and prevents the parsnips from absorbing fat and being soft and greasy.

Use young, small parsnips, otherwise remove the core.

You need to pretty well cook them by boiling them first.

Parsnips have a high sugar content, so if you just roast them they get too dark before they cook.

Roast in hot fat (WVOO or goose or duck) to crisp an brown the outside.

I roast parsnips quite regularly, the key is choosing nice young fresh parsnips otherwise they will definately be stringy. I just toss them in with a medley of other root veges ( sweet potato, potatoes, red onions etc ) and a little oil or fat maybe some seasoning of somekind depending on the menu..

I never have any trouble with them. They do need to be turned over when cooking them too so they don't dry out.