• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bodeans

I just took delivery of a Weber Smokey Mountain, I'm hoping to do my first smoke easter weekend. :smile:

BBQ's galore has 20% off at the moment (I have no connection to them)

BBQ's Galore

Edited to add, interesting to see you doing lamb , one of the things I look forward to trying most onthe smoker is lamb and mutton, the American BBQ forums are virtually lamb free! I'm interested in experimenting with Indian spicing and a light smoke..

Edited by Matthew Grant (log)

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

I just took delivery of a Weber Smokey Mountain, I'm hoping to do my first smoke easter weekend. :smile:

BBQ's Galore

Edited to add, interesting to see you doing lamb , one of the things I look forward to trying most onthe smoker is lamb and mutton, the American BBQ forums are virtually lamb free! I'm interested in experimenting with Indian spicing and a light smoke..

what you need to try is lamb breast - cook it for about 1 hour, bone side first. superb (if the lamb i sany good ;))

-che

Matthew, I've found almost everything I've cooked on my smoker to be fab - with mine, which is a Lil Tex, you can vary the wood pellets too to add different flavours to the meat. Vegetables are good too - particularly, surprisingly, asparagus - it really picks up the smoke. With mine I get a pink smoke layer on the meat - the other secret is the marinades, as you mention - I'm told that a bottle of Newman's Own Italian salad dressing makes a good marinade - in true Delia style!

Our favourites are lamb shoulder which isn't at all fatty as all the fat has broken down and gone into the fat container (I will try your idea of an Indian style marinade) and a four rib of beef. But turkey too is excellent - and equally delicious cold - it retains the smoke flavour and has a lovely pink edge of smoke.

Happy BBQing!

Got a table for two tonight at the Soho branch - asked about the beef short rib during reservation, but they didn't have a clue what I was talking about! Anyway I'm sure I'll find something else decent to tuck into.

was persuaded to drop by again for the first in years

beef short rib is the beef back ribs (as opposed to the giant beef ribs they used to have). far too tough. not worth it.

Lamb ribs (also new) were lovely though. wonderfully tender/fatty.

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

BBQ's Galore

what you need to try is lamb breast - cook it for about 1 hour, bone side first. superb (if the lamb i sany good ;))

-che

I presume you are talking grilling rather than smoked if its only cooked for an hour?

Edited by Matthew Grant (log)

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

Got a table for two tonight at the Soho branch - asked about the beef short rib during reservation, but they didn't have a clue what I was talking about! Anyway I'm sure I'll find something else decent to tuck into.

was persuaded to drop by again for the first in years

beef short rib is the beef back ribs (as opposed to the giant beef ribs they used to have). far too tough. not worth it.

Lamb ribs (also new) were lovely though. wonderfully tender/fatty.

J

Hmm yes a slightly disappointing experience here too. Pork spare ribs were lovely and juicy, but the pulled pork was horrible, dry and tasteless. Buffalo wings good, service good but overall too inconsistent for me to recommend. A shame really.

Hmm yes a slightly disappointing experience here too. Pork spare ribs were lovely and juicy, but the pulled pork was horrible, dry and tasteless. Buffalo wings good, service good but overall too inconsistent for me to recommend. A shame really.

Well...as long as the pork spare ribs are good I'm a happy diner. I probably wouldn't order anything else anyway.

BBQ's Galore

-che

I presume you are talking grilling rather than smoked if its only cooked for an hour?

yes on the bbq - depending on how slow you cook it you can even cook it for up to 2 hours...you'll get great flavour if you use hard wood only rather than charcoal.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Bodeans soho the other day for dinner. Major disappointment. I ordered the beef ribs and they were totally undersmoked. I am an avid smoker, and I could tell they needed an extra 1.5 hours at least on the smoker...very faint pink ring, almost raw, and extremely chewy tendon. After complaining about my food post-meal (I ate about a 1/3 of a full rack), I asked for a doggy bag for the rest as I thought they might make a decent sandwich. Anyway, they took them back to the grill and seared them, thus intensifying the toughness!

That being siad, it was one bad meal and I'd definitely return.

just to warn that it could be the start of a run of poor meals.

Bodeans has not been up to the original standards for at least 18 months. The Soho branch is 2 minutes walk from my office. After falling in love with the meaty goodness on opening day, and eating there with a group from work a few times a month, every month, we very rarely visit.

As a group, we probably give them "one last try" every 3 or 4 months. It never comes close to the original. The burnt ends are never as unctuous, the ribs never as tender, and the portions never as large.

• 4 months later...

Jay, or anyone else around who has been recently: Is it still worth it. The lady is taking me to london next weekend, but the last 2 reviews are worrying. We'd planned to go to the soho branch to sooth my need for BBQ. Any opinions out there?

If to avoid here, where else is good in central london.