• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Casoncelli

Zeb A

I am looking for a recipe for a pasta dish from Bergamo called casoncelli. My wife and I had the dish when visiting Italy a year ago, and I want to try to recreate it at home.

Do you have a recipe in English?

Or, do you know how I can easily translate this?

THX

Casoncelli alla Bergamasca

Da preparare in circa 50 minuti

Ingredienti per 6/8 persone

Pasta: 400 gr di farina, 100 gr di semola di grano duro, 2 uova.

Ripieno: 125 gr di pane grattugiato, 1 uovo, 70 gr di grana grattugiato, 150 gr di macinato per salame, 100 gr di carne bovina arrostita, 5 gr di amaretti, 10 gr di uva sultanina, 1/2 pera spadona o abate, uno spicchio di aglio tritato, un cucchiaio di prezzemolo tritato, sale, pepe.

Condimento: 80 gr di burro, 100 gr di pancetta tagliata a bastoncini, 100 gr di grana grattugiato, alcune foglie di salvia.

Amalgamate sulla spianatoia la farina, la semola, le uova, un pizzico di sale e aggiungete acqua quanto basta ad ottenere un composto omogeneo, quindi lasciatelo riposare per almeno mezzora. Nel frattempo preparate il ripieno, fate rosolare con una noce di burro il macinato per salame, la pera sbucciata e tritata, quindi unitevi la carne arrostita, l'aglio il prezzemolo e fate insaporire alcuni istanti. Versate il tutto in una terrina, unitevi il grana, il pangrattato, le uova, gli amaretti sbriciolati, l’uvetta tritata, una macinata di pepe e un pizzico di sale. Amalgamate l’impasto: se risultasse troppo asciutto aggiungete un goccio di brodo o acqua. Stendete la sfoglia, ritagliate dei dischi di 6/8 cm distribuitevi al centro un cucchiaio di ripieno, quindi piegate il disco di pasta sul ripieno, chiudete il bordo, ripiegate la parte ripiena sul bordo e pressate leggermente al centro. Lessate i casoncelli in acqua bollente salata, scolateli e disponeteli su di un piatto da portata, cospargeteli con il grana grattugiato e conditeli con il burro cotto a color nocciola insieme alla salvia e alla pancetta. Servite subito.

Il tutto accompagnato da un buon vino Barolo

I don't know if this actually helps or not ?

From Google:

Casoncelli to the Of Bergamo one to prepare in approximately 50 tiny Ingredients for 6/8 persons Paste: 400 gr of flour, 100 gr of semola of hard grain, 2 eggs. Filling: 125 gr of grattugiato bread, 1 egg, 70 gr of grattugiato grain, 150 gr of milled for salame, 100 gr of braced bovine meat, 5 gr of macaroons, 10 gr of grape sultanina, 1/2 pear spadona or Abbot, a segment of tritato garlic, a tritato spoon of prezzemolo, knows them, pepper. Condimento: 80 gr of butter, 100 gr of bacon cut to rods, 100 gr of grattugiato grain, some leaves of salvia. Amalgamated on spianatoia the flour, the semola, the eggs, a pizzico of knows them and you sufficient to add water to obtain a homogenous compound, therefore it leaves it you to rest at least in order mezzora. In the meantime prepared the filling, fairies to rosolare with one butter walnut the milled one for salame, the sbucciata pear and tritata, therefore joined the braced meat to you, the garlic prezzemolo and the fairies to insaporire some moments. Poured all in a tureen, joined the grain to you, the sbriciolati bread crumb, eggs, macaroons, l?uvetta tritata, milled of pepper and a pizzico of knows them. Amalgamated l?impasto: if it turned out dry too much you add a goccio of brodo or water. You spread leaf through it, ritagliate of discs of 6/8 cm you distribute to the center a filling spoon, therefore folded the paste disc on the filling, you close the edge, refolded the part ripiena on the edge and pressate leggermente to the center. Lessate the casoncelli in salata hot water, drains them to you and disponeteli on a plate from capacity, cospargeteli with the grattugiato grain and conditeli with the butter cooked to color nocciola with to the salvia and the bacon. Served endured. The all accompanied one from a good Barolo wine

From Bablefish:

Casoncelli to the Of Bergamo one To prepare in approximately 50 minuteren Ingredients for 6/8 persons Paste: 400 gr of flour, 100 gr of semola of hard grain, 2 eggs. Filling: 125 gr of grattugiato bread, 1 egg, 70 gr of grattugiato grain, 150 gr of milled for salame, 100 gr of braced bovine meat, 5 gr of macaroons, 10 gr of grape sultanina, 1/2 pear spadona or Abbot, a segment of tritato garlic, a tritato spoon of prezzemolo, knows them, pepper. Condimento: 80 gr of butter, 100 gr of bacon cut to rods, 100 gr of grattugiato grain, some leaves of salvia. Amalgamated on spianatoia the flour, the semola, the eggs, a pizzico of knows them and you sufficient to add water to obtain a homogenous compound, therefore it leaves it you to rest at least in order mezzora. In the meantime prepared the filling, fairies to rosolare with one butter walnut the milled one for salame, the sbucciata pear and tritata, therefore joined the braced meat to you, the garlic prezzemolo and the fairies to insaporire some moments. Poured all in a tureen, joined the grain to you, the sbriciolati bread crumb, eggs, macaroons, l?uvetta tritata, milled of pepper and a pizzico of knows them. Amalgamated l?impasto: if it turned out dry too much you add a goccio of brodo or water. You spread leaf through it, ritagliate of discs of 6/8 cm you distribute to the center a filling spoon, therefore folded the paste disc on the filling, you close the edge, refolded the part ripiena on the edge and pressate leggermente to the center. Lessate the casoncelli in salata hot water, drains them to you and disponeteli on a plate from capacity, cospargeteli with the grattugiato grain and conditeli with the butter cooked to color nocciola with to the salvia and the bacon. Served endured. The all accompanied one from a good Barolo wine

I am looking for a recipe for a pasta dish from Bergamo called casoncelli.  My wife and I had the dish when visiting Italy a year ago, and I want to try to recreate it at home.

Do you have a recipe in English?

Or, do you know how I can easily translate this?

THX

Da preparare in circa 50 minuti

Ingredienti per 6/8 persone

Pasta: 400 gr di farina, 100 gr di semola di grano duro, 2 uova.

Ripieno: 125 gr di pane grattugiato, 1 uovo, 70 gr di grana grattugiato, 150 gr di macinato per salame, 100 gr di carne bovina arrostita, 5 gr di amaretti, 10 gr di uva sultanina, 1/2 pera spadona o abate, uno spicchio di aglio tritato, un cucchiaio di prezzemolo tritato, sale, pepe.

Condimento: 80 gr di burro, 100 gr di pancetta tagliata a bastoncini, 100 gr di grana grattugiato, alcune foglie di salvia.

Amalgamate sulla spianatoia la farina, la semola, le uova, un pizzico di sale e aggiungete acqua quanto basta ad ottenere un composto omogeneo, quindi lasciatelo riposare per almeno mezzora. Nel frattempo preparate il ripieno, fate rosolare con una noce di burro il macinato per salame, la pera sbucciata e tritata, quindi unitevi la carne arrostita, l'aglio il prezzemolo e fate insaporire alcuni istanti. Versate il tutto in una terrina, unitevi il grana, il pangrattato, le uova, gli amaretti sbriciolati, l’uvetta tritata, una macinata di pepe e un pizzico di sale. Amalgamate l’impasto: se risultasse troppo asciutto aggiungete un goccio di brodo o acqua. Stendete la sfoglia, ritagliate dei dischi di 6/8 cm distribuitevi al centro un cucchiaio di ripieno, quindi piegate il disco di pasta sul ripieno, chiudete il bordo, ripiegate la parte ripiena sul bordo e pressate leggermente al centro. Lessate i casoncelli in acqua bollente salata, scolateli e disponeteli su di un piatto da portata, cospargeteli con il grana grattugiato e conditeli con il burro cotto a color nocciola insieme alla salvia e alla pancetta. Servite subito.

Il tutto accompagnato da un buon vino Barolo

Ingredienti per 6/8 persone – for 6 to 8 people

400 grams of flour (double 00 in Italy - in the USA if you can’t find OO Italian flour use 1/3 cake flour with 2/3 unbleached all purpose flour) 100 grams of semolina flour and 2 eggs

Stuffing: 125 grams bread crumbs, 1 egg, 70 grams of grated grana cheese (use parmigiano if you can’t find grana here), 150 grams of ground salami, 100 grams chopped roast beef, 5 grams of gound Amaretti cookies, 10 grams of chopped raisins, ½ pear peeled and seeded and chopped, one chopped garlic clove, a tablespoon o choppedf parsley, salt and pepper –( all chopped and mixed - I would use a food processor)

Sauce: 80 grams of butter, 100 grams of Italian bacon (or American bacon boiled for 2 minutes and drained) cut into thin strips, 100 grams of grated grana cheese (use same as above), and some fresh sage leaves. (Please note you are going to brown the butter with the sage leaves later on)

After you have mixed the flour, semolina flour, egg and salt with enough water to make the dough smooth leave it to rest for a 1/2 hour – (see Marcella Hazan’s Classic Italian Cookbook or other top Italian cookbook for a step by step explanation of how to make pasta)

In the meantime prepare the stuffing. Put all the stuffing ingredients listed above in a food processor and chop finely. (Remember to put the hard to chop ingredients in first- chop – then add more – add eggs and liquids at the end)

If the mixture is too dry add a little water or broth. Roll out the dough very thinly (I suggest a pasta rolling machine here- again look up a good recipe for making stuffed pasta for examples) and cut into discs of 6 to 8 cm., place in the middle of each disk a tablespoon of stuffing, fold over the disc and seal the edges (use a fork and a little water), fold the stuffed part of the disc again by pressing lightly on the center.

Put the finished casoncelli in boiling salted water. Meanwhile cook the sauce by sautéing the butter, sage and pancetta in a sauté pan and cook until the butter is light brown. Toss the cooked caconcelli with the sauce and the cheese and serve immediately.

Serve with a good Barolo wine.

These "translations" are hilarious...

50 tiny Ingredients for 6/8 persons
a pizzico of knows them
the fairies to insaporire some moments

at least the software got this right:

The all accompanied one from a good Barolo wine

From my limited Italian, this is a sort of ravioli. Make a basic egg pasta, roll it out, cut into disks.

The filling is bread crumbs, egg, grated Parm (grana means hard, 'granular' cheese, not grain), chopped salami, minced roast beef (from leftover roast), raisins, crumbled amaretti cookies, pear, a little garlic, some parsley, salt and pepper.

The sauce (condimento) is browned butter with more grated Parm, roasted pancetta, and sage leaves.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food