• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nuevo Leon

guajolote

I love Nuevo Leon! I first ate there on a field trip. I took a class for teachers called Chicago's Cultural Treasures. It was 1 week long and we visited a number of museums and theaters. The best part was the daily lunch arranged at an ethnic restaurant. We also ate in Greektown, though I can't remember where, and one other place that I can't recall. :hmmm:

La Hacienda de los Fernandez in Addison in front of the Marcus Cinema on Lake St. makes tortillas on the premises. The flour tortillas are like eating clouds. You can watch them being made through a glassed in area adjacent to the kitchen.

SW - Your ears must have been burning. Guajolote was just mentioning a return visit to Nuevo Leon, and Maggie and I nodded in exhuberent agreement.

November 8 and 22 work well for me. And the 22nd is better if it means Ronnie can also attend.

I could eat their pork stew all day. Actually, I think I already have.

:biggrin:

November 22: St. Cecilia's Day.  Cool.  I'm in.

I am Inner than In.

And because of its proximity to Lady T's Bday, perhaps it could be a Natal Day Celebration?

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

That means we must get...cake. Oh, Laura!

Let's divide into the "get the table" group, "get the beer" group, and the "while we cross the street" group.

Now I'm thinking about the apps in addition to the pork stew.

• 4 weeks later...

In my august position as Social Secretary to the Heartland, I thought I'd push this topic back up; this outing is less than two week's away! Not only is the food fab at Nuevo Leon, it's cheap. And it's BYO. And, most important: we will be celebrating the birthday of the brilliant, witty, ineffable Lady T, aka Sommeliere of the Heartland.

Who's in?

Noted: I am the mere Social Secretary, not necessarily an event planner. Let's hear from you guys.

Edited by maggiethecat (log)

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

We wouldn't miss it and a sitter has been secured.

=R=

It will be great to see you and Julie again. Two for us as well. Alex---are you and Ann still coming?

Edit to correct spelling of the lovely Mrs. Alex's name.

Edited by maggiethecat (log)

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

I was there the other night. I couldn't help myself. I went for the Guisado de Puerco AGAIN. It was so good--even better the next day.

They changed the Queso con Chorizo. The presentation is different. It is now serverd over a bed of grilled flour tortilla triangles and it now includes coarsely chopped jalepenos and tomatos. It was still delicious.

I will be there. I cleared my schedule for it.

BTW, they have handmade flour and corn tortillas and they will bring both to the table if you wish.

:wink:

That's the lady who made us one glorious carrot cake up in Grand Rapids, G-man; also the perfectionist who scrubbed all our beets and apples until they glowed in the dark.

I am so there on the 22nd!

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

Alex---are you and Ann still coming?

Edit to correct spelling of the lovely Mrs. Alex's name.

Thanks for the edit, Maggie. Ann's used to alternate spellings. She's Polish on both sides, so one of her spousal criteria was a last name that's relatively easy to spell and pronounce.

Ann will be bonding with her Ph.D. workgroup in Elk Grove Village, so it'll be just me on the 22nd. G. has graciously offered to pick me up at the hotel.

Re BYO, any suggestions other than beer?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

who's this aurora chick?

No one, really. She was accidentally packed in a moving box marked "shoes" that is travelling through the streets of Chicago in an Allied moving van. She is barefoot because the box that contains the shoes is marked "bathroom" but cannot be found. It's her own fault that she's boxed up, shoeless, and in dire need of a bath, but damn, it would all be worth it for a plate of that Nuevo Leon pork stew!