• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nuevo Leon

guajolote

could you please put aurora and I together as a couple?

I was able to make this happen by changing seats, you're welcome Dean.

Food was terrific as well as the company. Cheers to next time. Happy Birthday Lady T.

edited to add: Thanks NSM for the incredible chocolates, the ganache was my fave for sure.

Edited by Sweet Willie (log)
"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"

The Young and the Restless are still whooping it up at a wine bar, but Willie and we have wended our ways home.

I didn't have to bribe anyone or fling my body across three sixtops. I got there early, explained what we needed and the management said "No problem." (The management also tactfully mentioned to me on the way out:"Wine and beer is fine, Senora, But next time, no hard liqour. We've had problems in the past with hard liquor." Well, so have I. Recently. Props to Nero for pouring shots for perfect strangers at adjoining tables.)

We were sixteen. Welcome to JimInLoganSquare and his lovely wife Susan, who got their first taste of a Chicago eGullet gathering and fit right in. Also welcome to Sarah and tenor25, friends of the Birthday Girl, Lady T. And we were really delighted to have Alex, one of our Grand Rapids Confidential hosts with us; he popped the cork on a delicious botle of "Spanish Sparkling Wine" when there were only four of us at the table: Willie, Alex, Dean and me. More for all of us, before the greedy guys got there.

The BG and Sommeliere of the Heartland arrived with four bottles of the Veuve, which were inhaled at scary speed, accompanied by many toasts. (Fresser doesn't drink and Aurora hadn't arrived yet.) Beer abounded, as did tequila. Guajolote said that Ronnie Suburban's bottle was better than his, but heck, they were both better than what I drink.

Guajolotes's original subtitle to this thread about homemade flour tortillas still stands. They are amazing, and Nero , Culinary Student and Babe Extraordinaire was planning all kinds of "stacked hors d'oeuvres" using them. Seriously, it's as if you've never eaten a tortilla before; they're that good.

And Nightscotsman's chocolates were hors de concours. The man is a genius.

Others will discuss the food in detail---I'm sleepy. Dean gave me a slice of his tongue, and it was the best I've ever eaten. (Yeah, yeah. )I ordered 15 hors d'oeuvres, (including two of what Nerissa once dubbed the PMS Special) and we each had our own plat principal. The bill came: $191.00 for sixteen people, almost more than we could eat, and just outstanding Mexican food. We left a very, very, generous tip.

Oh, it was so good to see my Peeps again.

The usual eGullet Miracle of the Loaves and Fishes happened. We took a case of beer. We returned with eight bottles of beer, half a bottle of tequila, a pound of Dean's sublime coffee ---meant for Ronnie, but Lou thought it was for him and stole it. Sorry, Ronnie! A bottle of Ferrand cognac, and a pound of Vosges hot chocolate---thank you Sue.

And best of all, the company of fifteen extraordinarily smart, kind, funny bon vivants. We missed you, Matthew and Michele, Art, Bruce, Susan, Matt, Ann and eGulls everywhere.

The Heartland rules, but Chicago Rocks the Hardest.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Well, Minneapolis rocked tonight. At my house. One eGulleteer. November birthdays. My mom, my best friend's husband, and the almost eight year old Peter. Braises, roasted potatoes (try the Zuni Cafe Cookbook recipe), roasted brussels sprouts picked just moments before The Blanch. I have no photos to post, but also ended up with more "booty" than I provided. My favorite people, good tunes, wonderful food, heavenly aromas. Oh, how I wish Chicago were about 4 hours closer. The tortillas sounded heavenly. I only wish Nero had been here to pour shots, and you, dear Maggie, to tie the aprons. Food and booze = love; grandma did have it right.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

We missed you, Matthew and Michele, Art, Bruce,  Susan, Matt, Ann and eGulls everywhere.

The Heartland rules, but Chicago Rocks the Hardest.

Sounds like the usual ho-hum magnificent eGullet Heartland orgy. Wish I was there. Failing that, maybe we can convince about 300,000 Mexicans to relocate to Toronto and start opening restaurants.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

Even though Julie and I were both feeling a little under the weather, we had a great time last night. It was a pleasure finally getting to meet you Alex and JimInLoganSquare, I hope this was only the first of many meetings we will have.

The food was terrific and yes, the tortillas (hand-made on premises) were so beyond any I'd ever had before that I felt like these were an entirely new food for me. The appetizers were amazing--especially the Queso Panela--which the menu describes as "...grilled panela cheese topped with a blend of grilled, diced tomato, onions and jalpeno peppers." This was just exceptional. The cheese itself was charred and salty, firm and crispy on the outside and soft without being runny on the inside. The mixture of grilled items atop it was a perfect compliment for the cheese. Of course, the Queso con Chorizo was awesome too. It was served piping hot on a bed of 'chips' which had been made from the tortillas...Yum! The 2 salsas on the table were both good, but the smokier, chipotle version was highly addictive.

I thought the entrees were solid but varied. I loved my beef barbacoa until I tried Julie's Guisado de Puerco which was even better. However both entrees were completely trumped by Lady T's Asado de Puero which entranced me. I had initially tried to order the Carne Tampiquena but our server told me they were out of it. :sad:

I can't say I was really feeling the love from the restaurant itself. Since I wasn't there from the onset I probably don't know the whole story (or have clear context) but by the time we were ready to leave it seemed like the folks at the restaurant were more than ready for us to go. When I took our $ up to the regsiter, the person who took it was not particularly friendly and would not even look at me. Was it just him? Am I just imagining this? Can anyone elaborate? Of course we were 16 loud, tequila-swilling and (at times) obnoxious folks taking up a lot of tables for what amounted to about 3 hours on a Saturday night. I'm not sure that really meshed well with the SOP at Nuevo Leon.

Lastly (and certainly not least), it was great to see all the Heartland faithful once again. Thanks to Willie especially for getting this event on the books and off the ground (it was Willie, wasn't it?). I always love our get togethers and this one was no exception. Also, here's one more wish of Happy Birthday to both Lady T and to Lou.

Maggie, as for the beans...enjoy them. Please tell Lou there's no such thing as 'stealing' on one's birthday :smile:

There aren't too many groups for which we'd drive 30 miles while feeling lousy to hang out....actually, this is probably the only one and we'd do it again in a minute.

Thanks again everyone for a great time last night.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

We were sixteen. Welcome to JimInLoganSquare and his lovely wife Susan, who got their first taste of a Chicago eGullet gathering and fit right in.

It was our pleasure. It was too big a group for us to get to know everyone (or even talk to everyone), but what a warm and charming bunch. We look forward to the next opportunity!

In abdomen veritas

Of course we were 16 loud, tequila-swilling and (at times) obnoxious folks taking up a lot of tables for what amounted to about 3 hours on a Saturday night. I'm not sure that really meshed well with the SOP at Nuevo Leon

I think that's exactly it. I'm sure that Nuevo Leon counts on quick turnover rather than markup for their profit margin. There was quite a waiting line by the time we left.

I had a great time and one heck of a food hangover. I loved the mini-tacos, the guisada, and, of course, the tortillas. It was good to catch up with the eG crew I met in GR and the ones I hadn't met yet. I wish I could join the New Year's Eve party, but I'll call in my greetings from DC.

Fresser, Nero, Aurora, and I finally wound up at Bin 36. The place was packed, but I spotted (and quickly grabbed) two empty couches by the coffee bar. We talked, drank, and watched people leaving the Tom Jones performance at House of Blues. Nero's screaming munchies hit at about 11:30 -- thanks to Fresser for buying cookies.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I can't say I was really feeling the love from the restaurant itself.  Since I wasn't there from the onset I probably don't know the whole story (or have clear context) but by the time we were ready to leave it seemed like the folks at the restaurant were more than ready for us to go.  When I took our $ up to the regsiter, the person who took it was not particularly friendly and would not even look at me.  Was it just him?  Am I just imagining this?  Can anyone elaborate?  Of course we were 16 loud, tequila-swilling and (at times) obnoxious folks taking up a lot of tables for what amounted to about 3 hours on a Saturday night.  I'm not sure that really meshed well with the SOP at Nuevo Leon.

You weren't imagining anything, Ronnie.

I was scooping up plates & napkins as people got up from the table, trying to speed up the cleanup process as busboys swarmed around us. As I did this, a 40-ish guy in a white shirt & moustache muttered, "We really need this table!"

Now, I'm not one to accept the bum's rush from ANYBODY. But maybe they weren't used to a bunch of gringos ruidosos swallowing up half of their dining room. I did make sure to thank all the staff who served us along the way. And we left a 25% tip--generous by any measure.

Just to smooth things over, I'll probably do a flyover at Nuevo Leon this weekend to tell them how much the Internet Invaders enjoyed everything.

A shout-out to Chef Ted Czima: we'd be delighted to have you at any Heartland gathering. Some of the Lady Heartlanders are starting a fan club for you... :rolleyes:

Edited by Fresser (log)

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

Ronnie Suburban's tot Lucas introduced me to the wisdom of Captain Underpants...

So, you consulted his reading list? :biggrin:

=R=

Ladies and gentlemen of the e-Gullet Nuevo Leon contingent: Birthday girl Lady T warned me I would have entirely too much fun and too much great food. She was right! What a genuine pleasure it was to meet and break bread with you all. I'll gladly get another food hangover such as I had last night with you--sometime soon, I sincerely hope... :smile:

Of course we were 16 loud, tequila-swilling and (at times) obnoxious folks taking up a lot of tables for what amounted to about 3 hours on a Saturday night. I'm not sure that really meshed well with the SOP at Nuevo Leon

I think that's exactly it. I'm sure that Nuevo Leon counts on quick turnover rather than markup for their profit margin. There was quite a waiting line by the time we left.

We were all that, but a good bunch of "gringos" just the same.

Still, I have been there a number of times where there was a line just like what was standing there when we left. I've even stood in that same line upwards of 30 minutes on one or two occasions. It's the norm for them on a Saturday night even if there isn't anything like what we were as an excuse.

No matter to me. I got what I came for. It was a good time, it was great to see everyone, and man, that pork stew was muy delicioso!

And get this! NO TEQUILA HANGOVER THIS MORNING, pork stew for lunch at work tomorrow, and more fond memories.

thanks to everyone for a great time.

i think next time we have 18 people we need to go somewhere w/ reservations so that they are "ready" for us, or at least as ready as they;ll ever get.

we all suck, no one brought a camera.

we all suck, no one brought a camera.

That is unconscionable.

Don't let it happen again.

Not all of us. Aurora brought a regular film camera.

Edited for no particular reason.

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

i forgot to mention that instead of an old favorite i tried some offal.

the tongue was braised in a sauce of tomatoes, onions, and jalepenoes. the tongue itself had the texture of a stiff meat jello and was very rich, almost livery. It was good but I don't know if I'd get it again.

I really liked the taquitos appetizer. could have ate this as an entree.

:biggrin:

I won't need a camera to remember all the good stuff, G-man. It was great to see you there, too. Regards to la flaca, and Iwis and Wobert!

JimInLoganSquare: A pleasure to meet you -- I hope to see you and your gracious spouse at many more eGullet get-togethers.

Maggie: Thank you and bless you for the apron. A lace-trimmed 'Hello Kitty' apron, no less. I am overwhelmed. Loved the card too -- and yes, Rossini did in fact marry at least one soprano. I'd have to check as to whether there were more than one (legally married, that is; there also were paramours), but yes. He knew from singers, did Maestro Rossini.

Alex: We've got to get you to a CSO Chorus concert sometime when you're in town. You'd have a blast.

Nero: Loved the card and note. Thank you muchly!

Lou: Many happy returns. Again. Some more. Still. All the time.

Nightscotsman: Damn but you're an artist and a gentleman, sir. Those may have been the most upscale Rice Crispie treats I ever have tasted in my life (:raz:), and the chocolates were beyond amazing.

Sarah: I know you're out there lurking, woman. Sign on and start posting, already -- you've got friends here now, and the party's in progress all the time!

Tenor15: Bless you, gentle man: I would never have remembered to avoid the parade-plus-tree-lighting-plus-shopping-orgy downtown. I'd have blundered straight down the Outer Drive and we might still be hacking our way west now on 18th Street. Champagne never got a smoother ride than those four bottles of Veuve got in your back seat!

After dropping Sarah off at her place, NSM and tenor15 and I went to a Baker's Square out at Western and Touhy (my suggestion, sort of: we set out after I mentioned pie and NSM instantly got a wistful look on his face and repeated, "Pie?...Pie...?" ).

Cool. Most days I can take a hint, and tenor15 sees clues like that coming a week before they happen. We got seated, and after a close critique of the menu (NSM's comment was precisely on the money: only chain places that cater to the gloriously stoned at 3 a.m. -- which it wasn't and we weren't, I hasten to add -- have menus with that many pictures, so that the chemically challenged can simply grunt and point to what they want), we ordered six small slices of pie, two each: triple berry, pumpkin, plain custard, cherry, lemon meringue, and one other which I have utterly blocked from my mind for some reason.

We concluded what one might expect (at least what one might expect with a Pastry Master of the Universe among the company): that the fillings were, one and all, out of a can, and that the crusts were likewise from a mix-plus-water concoction that had never been within shouting distance of a pat of honest butter. Especially notable was that lemon meringue slice, which totally fascinated NSM -- he kept poking with his fork at the filling (which tasted okay but resisted unbecomingly), and speculating about exactly what was keeping the meringue so extremely and persistently upright (he guesses agar-agar, and I defer to that judgement).

Ah well. At least we didn't spend much in the way of money.

Exit the company, laughing.

Thanks and praise and blessings to you all. You gave my 51st year a mighty happy start -- before I even finished the 50th!

:biggrin:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

Saturday night was certainly awesome. I felt a little sorry for the staff of that place, but at the same time jealous that it was Lady T's birthday and not mine when we were instructed to "never bring tequila to Nuevo Leon again."

Noise is music. All else is food.

Schedule allowing, I'm definitely in for the next one. I am finishing up renovations to my home studio/kitchen, perhaps a Heartland gathering has the makings of an episode for TV ?

A shout-out to Chef Ted Czima: we'd be delighted to have you at any Heartland gathering. Some of the Lady Heartlanders are starting a fan club for you... 

As far as any fan club, you can get my autograph and my heartfelt thanks by supporting meals on wheels with your purchase of the http://www.cheftedcizma.com' target='_blank'> Celebrity Chef Cookbook

Cheers

wine is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
Ted Cizma

www.cheftedcizma.com

• 3 weeks later...

Had dinner here with a group of 6 last night, mucho tequila again. Staff was not upset this time :smile:

I really really wanted to try something different but could not bring myself to steer away from the pork w/red chile or Queso Panela, niether could the rest of our group.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"

I really really wanted to try something different but could not bring myself to steer away from the pork w/red chile or Queso Panela, niether could the rest of our group.

I've probably thought about that Queso Panela daily since we were there. :smile:

=R=