• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nuevo Leon

guajolote

How about Harvey Finklestein's "A Puppet Christmas Carol" at Live Bait Theater (N Clark near Irving Park) at 10:30?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Oh, the 22nd is a Saturday! In that case, please count me in if I can be a weeny and order non-spicy food. :wink:

You can get a quesadilla and french fries like Iris always orders.

Seriously, they have great French Fries here. We have to order some. They are great dipped in salsa.

I'm thinking we should kick that 6:00 P.M. start up to 5:00 P.M. Saturday nights can get crowded, and we're a big group. I can't stand waiting in line watching all the plates of food constantly walk by me.

Besides, that will give us even more time for the indulgence segment of the evening.

JiminLoganSquare - you and the Mrs. are coming, right?

Let's all give Jim a little encouragement, shall we?

5 is too early for some certain people who have babysitters, so please leave it at six, or a little after.

thank you

:cool: I think we're in that category. Slightly after 6 is probably the earliest we can be there.

But, we don't want to screw anything up so if the earlier time is better for the majority, please do not plan around us. We'll just join up with everyone a bit later on.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I'm thinking we should kick that 6:00 P.M. start up to 5:00 P.M. Saturday nights can get crowded, and we're a big group. I can't stand waiting in line watching all the plates of food constantly walk by me.

Besides, that will give us even more time for the indulgence segment of the evening.

JiminLoganSquare - you and the Mrs. are coming, right?

Let's all give Jim a little encouragement, shall we?

In and Mrs. Jim (Susan) will be there, 6:00 Saturday. Thanks for the encouragement!

In abdomen veritas

6:00 it is. We'll try to get there a little earlier and throw ourselves atop open tables, while sipping from brown paper bags.

Jim: Delighted you and Susan can make it. We'll be easy to spot---and hear. Look for a Big Blonde Dude and a guy with glasses flirting with the waitresses.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

6:00 it is.  We'll try to get there a little earlier and throw ourselves atop open tables, while sipping from brown paper bags.

Jim:  Delighted you and Susan can make it.  We'll be easy to spot---and hear.  Look for a Big Blonde Dude and a guy with glasses flirting with the waitresses.

[Cue the Fat Albert voice]

Hey, Hey, Hey!

The Fress-Man is coming to dinner today!

Hey, Hey, Hey!

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

6:00 it is. We'll try to get there a little earlier and throw ourselves atop open tables, while sipping from brown paper bags.

I can get there earlier, too. (I'm on vacation. I can do anything [well, almost] that I want! :biggrin: )

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Wait . . . what the hell's going on?

When does the drinking start?

It can start whenever we want it to start, dear Nero. Because you've been a Busy Lady, I'll give you a precis.

Lots of us are getting together at Nuevo Leon this Saturday. NL is BYO. (Hooray) But they don't take res. ( :angry: ) so, HH and I will show up 5:30ish to start waiting for a very, very big table. Maybe we'll enjoy a cocktail from the discreet brown paper bag while we wait.

Do you think you can make it? It's cheap (otherwise I wouldn't be going!) the foods terrific, and as noted above: BYO.

Hey...I'm not near a phone right now. Why doesn't one of you give NL a call, and wheedle a little. Maybe they'd make an exception to the no res rule, just this once? For us?

Report back.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

Rachel Perlow is the Keeper of the Calendar, and I did notify her of this event, but kepe in mond, Peeps, the lady in on vacation with her husband in New Orleans. She's off duty.

She must be back on duty as this event is now listed on the calendar

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"

I'll bring a cava (the same one we had Friday night in GR) and some beer.

Dean kindly provided the address and phone number for Nuevo Leon on the very first post of this thread.

Time: Shooting for 6:00 as a unfurl the napkin time. Because we expect the restaurant to be crowded, some of us will gather earlier to visit the liquor store, the pastry shop and to get us a table. For seventeen:

We will be:

His Sweetness

Nero

Fresser plus 2

Lady T. plus 2

Aurora

Alex

Dean

Jim and Susan

The Suburbans

Us

I hope I'm not leaving anyone out. If so, please shout.

Manana!

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

OK, guajolote and His Official Girlfriend, Aurora.

And Nightscotsman! Good grief, Neil, how could I have forgotten the Bearer of Chocolate, nice guy and Pastrychef to the very appreciative Heartland? (You other folks, eat your hearts out. Seriously. The man is an Artist and a Craftsman. You'll say you knew him when.)

Yikes. Eighteen.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

Yikes.  Eighteen.

Do we pity or envy the other customers?

The other customers will envy us. Actually, the other customers are a great slice of Chicago life, and everyone loves the food and the homey, laid back atmoshpere and inclusive clientele at NL. The fact that there are so many charming Mexican families there bodes well for the cuisine.

Plus of course, the usual disaffected teens (eating the fries that the G man has recommended) cops on the beat, Chicago schoolteachers (a tough bunch) and assorted gringos and gringas like us.

Wish you could join us.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

could you please put aurora and I together as a couple?

like this: Aurora and Guajolote

thanks.

Guaj - Shhh. You were supposed to keep that on the DL.

I forgive you. I'll even let you double-dip in my guacamole, baby! :wink:

I just went back and read this whole thread. I'm thinking I might have to find a way to drop in on this little soiree, just for the entertainment value!

wine is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
Ted Cizma

www.cheftedcizma.com

Ted: Yes, the entertainmnt level will be high and the food will be good---we can always pull up another chair.

You won't have any trouble spotting us.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com