• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nuevo Leon

guajolote

Saturday night is bound to be busy, methinks. Would earlier be better, or would later? Or, if we have enough stuff in Brown Paper Bags will it matter?

Dunno: 6:30 for 7:00? Or grab drinks somewhere and show up fashionably late?

Varmint: We will toast our absent friends in NC as well.

(P.S. This is not only a Birthday Celebration for Sue, it's also gonna be HH's Bday blast. He's excited.)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Oh, the great weight of being Social Secretary to the Heartland. Let's review attendees, my peeps!

The Mod with the Mostest

Lady T. (Birthday Girl.)

The G- man (and the beautiful Flaca?)

Me. Birthday Boy.

Ronnie and Julie

Fresser the Flirt

Sweet Willie (Is there a Mrs. Willie?)

Alex (yeah!)

That's twelve. Anyone else? Cheffie? Elizabeth 11? NSM? Nero (where are you?) Hobbes? Mike? Newbies?

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

Oh, the great weight of being Social Secretary to the Heartland. Let's review attendees, my peeps!

The Mod with the Mostest

Lady T. (Birthday Girl.)

The G- man (and the beautiful Flaca?)

Me. Birthday Boy.

Ronnie and Julie

Fresser the Flirt

Sweet Willie (Is there a Mrs. Willie?)

Alex (yeah!)

That's twelve. Anyone else? Cheffie? Elizabeth 11? NSM? Nero (where are you?) Hobbes? Mike? Newbies?

no flaca, she has to go to chuck e. cheeses (in joliet!)

:raz:

I'm hoping to bring Drummer Boy and Officer Friendly.

These are two of my homeys. Drummer Boy describes himself as "(A) musician with a day gig." Really, he's a lawyer who should get out more.

Officer Friendly is a Cook County deputy sheriff who is even more outgoing with strangers than I am. :blink:

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

:biggrin:

I will have a couple of newbies with me who've been lurking here -- colleagues and friends from CSO Chorus who want to (a) eat some great Mexican and (b) find out if we're all really as zany as the posts demonstrate and © want to rag on me about the birthday with the '0' on the end.

Add two (2) to the tally, pretty please, Maggie.

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

:wink:

That's the lady who made us one glorious carrot cake up in Grand Rapids, G-man; also the perfectionist who scrubbed all our beets and apples until they glowed in the dark.

I am so there on the 22nd!

Perfectionist. That's such an ugly word. I am not a perfectionist. Much like Charlie Trotter, I am on an endless quest in the search for excellence. It makes me reach farther.

Those beets didn't glow in the dark. They flashed like beacon lights. Excellence in action!

What's this about no Flaca?

What time are we getting together? A time would be good.

Does it take a moderator to add an item to the eG Calender?

Rachel Perlow is the Keeper of the Calendar, and I did notify her of this event, but kepe in mond, Peeps, the lady in on vacation with her husband in New Orleans. She's off duty.

Yes, early or late. I am the mere Social Secretary, not the Event Planner. I suggested upthread that we go somewhere for drinks and show up fashionably late. (Or...early!) Could we please hear form you slackers? What would be better? I'm fine with either.

But if we decide on cocktail hour, where and when? Input, folks! I am so easy.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

What time are we getting together?  A time would be good.

I would vote for either early to beat the "rush" or late to indulge in the night

If it's late, the Mexican Cultural Center is out, but then there's that "indulge in the night" thing that Willie is hitting on.

How much more is there for a group like us to indulge in at night in Pilsen? Uh oh. :rolleyes:

:blink:

That would depend on what shape we're in, what we're willing to spend, and/or what structures need demolition in the immediate 'hood.

May I suggest drinks at 5 or 5:30 somewhere downtown, followed by a dinner reservation at 7 or 8? That'll allow us to gather and/or carpool down to Pilsen in good order. That way, folks who tire easily (or have to sing coherently at church in the AM on Sunday, or need to get back home and liberate the babysitter, or are short of the [$] needful) can do drinks only, or drinks and dinner, while those of us who want to "indulge in the night" -- oh, I like that phrase, Willie! -- are free to hit Sugar for dessert, or see the late show spontaneously at Second City, or frighten the drunken tourists on Rush Street, or catch a midnight show of Matrix, or or or..

-- 2/19/2004

followed by a dinner reservation at 7 or 8?

There's the rub, oh Lady With the Upcoming Birthday ending With a Zero. Nuevo Leon doesn't take reservations.

I guess someone should get there around six or so and let the folks know that there will be an invasion of noisy, happy big-tippin' ravers and we'll need a Big Table. Sigh. I guess I volunteer. We'll be taking our chances...what if they have a table right away? But it should be worth it.

Note: I lost my cell phone, so I will be incommunicada.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

...noisy, happy big-tippin' ravers...

Ahh. I see I've been paged. I'll join you and HH there about six on Saturday, then, Mags. You'll recognize me easily: I'll be the one carrying the champagne bottles.

Might make the vigil a bit happier while we wait for the riot to arrive, yes?

-- 2/19/2004

I believe it will be tough to get in later, no?

:cool:

Saturday nights being what they are at the trendoholic places...yes, quite possibly. This has never noticeably stopped our crowd, however, and the other thing to remember is that the real mayhem only gets started at Sugar around ten-thirty to eleven. We might very well slip in, nosh, drink, ogle various Skinny People In Black, laugh hysterically at the overwrought menu, and still be out before that time.

-- 2/19/2004