• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nuevo Leon

guajolote

Went to lunch at Nuevo Leon on Saturday before taking in the Mexican Modernists show at the Mexican Fine Arts Center.

We got there at 11:45 and the restaurant was already packed. After a ten minute wait we were seated and brought a basket of totopos with pico de gallo, and a plate of guisado de puerco with corn tortillas. The tortillas were home-made, and the guisado was delicious. For lunch I had a good chile relleno, but I should have ordered more of the guisado. The waitress brought a basket full of flour tortillas (I would've ordered corn if asked) which were obviously home-made. These were a relevation, I don't think I'd ever had home-made flour tortillas. Lunch for 4 adults and 1 kid was $32. I would make a special trip to Pilsen just to eat here again. They don't serve liquor but you can bring your own.

I enjoyed the show at the Museum. The Art Institue should send it's employees over for niceness training.

Nuevo Leon

1515 West 18th Street

Chicago, IL 60608.

Telephone: 312-421-1517

Went to lunch at Nuevo Leon on Saturday before taking in the Mexican Modernists show at the Mexican Fine Arts Center.

We got there at 11:45 and the restaurant was already packed. After a ten minute wait we were seated and brought a basket of totopos with pico de gallo, and a plate of guisado de puerco with corn tortillas. The tortillas were home-made, and the guisado was delicious. For lunch I had a good chile relleno, but I should have ordered more of the guisado. The waitress brought a basket full of flour tortillas (I would've ordered corn if asked) which were obviously home-made. These were a relevation, I don't think I'd ever had home-made flour tortillas. Lunch for 4 adults and 1 kid was $32. I would make a special trip to Pilsen just to eat here again. They don't serve liquor but you can bring your own.

I enjoyed the show at the Museum. The Art Institue should send it's employees over for niceness training.

Nuevo Leon

1515 West 18th Street

Chicago, IL 60608.

Telephone: 312-421-1517

q: Thanks for the reviews of both the art and the food. The exhibition's worth the trip, I see.

God. Haven't eaten at Neuvo Leon for yonks. Possible non-official Chiago Chapter lunch in there?

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

The place is one of our favorite spots for Sunday mornings. The above mentioned guisado de puerco served as an 'amuse' is one of the best things it makes. But we tried to order a full entree and the server said it was not available as such. Perhaps it was a language problem. It was featured on 'Check Please!' a couple of weeks ago and the two visiting guests panned it! We were horrified! :angry: I am glad to see e-gulleteers love it! I thought that the flour tortillas came from the tortilla factory next door to the east.

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

Maybe the flour tortillas were from next door? They were delicious, though.

Also, there is a great bakery acoss the street called Bomboncito. They also have a Mexican Candy store a couple of blocks west. I almost bought Awbrig a Sponge Bob pinata.

Edit: I saw the Check Please episode too and those two gringos were boobs.

Edited by guajolote (log)

Maybe the flour tortillas were from next door? They were delicious, though.

Also, there is a great bakery acoss the street called Bomboncito. They also have a Mexican Candy store a couple of blocks west. I almost bought Awbrig a Sponge Bob pinata.

Edit: I saw the Check Please episode too and those two gringos were boobs.

Great post! I am so glad you went there. It always bothers me that Pilsen is overlooked as one of the best places to go for authentic Mexican cooking. Nuevo Leon always makes me happy. That is good food! Next time, get flour and corn tortillas. Also, try the chilaquiles.

Nuevo Leon would be a great eGullet outing--sponsored or un-sponsored.

Bomboncito and Bombon are owned by Chef Laura Cid-Pfeiffer who began as a pastry chef at Frontera Grill. She is currenty the pastry chef at La Platiyo.

I like Check Please, but it's a rare episode when there isn't at least on boob on the panel. What the two boobs on the panel who dissed Nuevo Leon missed was the fact that Nuevo Leon is about the cooking and the food. There really isn't much peoplewatching. You can look up when your plate is clean.

If the Art Institue sent their employees to the Mexican Fine Arts Center for niceness training, would the Mexican Fine Arts Center be required to reciprocate and send their employees the the Art Institute for snotty ignorance training?

Edit--Chef Laura Cid-Pfeiffer is mentiond in an article in the current (January/February 2003) Local Palate. You can pick them up at Whole Foods, and I've seen them at Sur La Table. They're free.

Edited by Aurora (log)

Aurora:  You rock.  How the heck do you know everythiing? ?

Thanks, but me really don't know everything. You just haven't caught me in one of many blithering idiot goofball moments. :wacko:

Don't be discouraged. Your opportunity is coming...soon. We've yet to drink the gin, but given the topic, let's make it tequila. Cuervo Gold or Pepe Lopez?

Thanks, but me really don't know everything. You just haven't caught me in one of many blithering idiot goofball moments. :wacko:

Don't be discouraged. Your opportunity is coming...soon. We've yet to drink the gin, but given the topic, let's make it tequila. Cuervo Gold or Pepe Lopez?

Aurora: You choose. I trust you implicitly.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

Cuervo Gold or Pepe Lopez?

as long as it's reposado, right?

Hey, I'm psyched about this thread. I'm gonna try Nuevo Leon. Thanks guajolote.

I'm partial to corn tortilla's too. I feel that they have a sweeter flavor than flour and they just seem to marry the flavors of whatever you're eating together much moreso than flour does.

Has anyone made corn tortilla's?

And I'm dying to get my hands on an authentic mocajete (sorry if I butchered the spelling). any ideas? I heard the cheapest for a good value was at the Maxwell St. Market (is that what' they're calling it since they moved it?). Any other places to find one?

This is what we need, a Mexican Food thread in the Heartland. I heard the other day that Hispanics outnumber all others in Chicago now.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -Ernest Hemingway

I'm partial to corn tortilla's too. I feel that they have a sweeter flavor than flour and they just seem to marry the flavors of whatever you're eating together much moreso than flour does.

I'm the same way, I love corn tortillas. That's why these flour tortillas amazed me.

You can buy a molcajete molc_350.jpg at many Mexican markets. I think I've seen them at Morelia Supermercado (approx. 7300 N Clark, just north of the Mega Mall) and all of the Jimenez'es probably have them. If you do go to Nuevo Leon there are lots of shops near there that would have them.

Edit: I've never been to the New Maxwell Street Market, that would be a good outing. I know Rick Bayless is always going there. We drove by the origanl Maxwell Street, it was all torn down. Very sad.

Edited by guajolote (log)

Aurora: You choose. I trust you implicitly.

Alrighty, then!

Cuervo Gold Especial

Kosher Salt

Limes - I don't care what kind as long as they are of good quality and plentiful.

Would the folks at Nuevo Leon take to kindly to us going on a tequila bender in their humble establishment?

I tend to go easy with tequila. One sip over the line and suddenly I have an almost magical understanding of William S. Burroughs and the irrepressible need to thank you repeatedly for being my very good friend. :wacko:

I will say the better brands are smoother. They give flow to the hallucinations and make them a touch more--plausible. You know, things don't get quite as wavy--you see three of one person when you might normally see four--that kind of stuff. When we get together for this, remind me to tell you about the time when some friends and I got together with a six-pack of Squirt and a bottle of Pepe. :unsure:

Wait a minute...are we talkin' brunch or dinner?

I feel an unofficial eGullet chow-down comin' on. Nuevo Leon. BYOB. Tequila optional.

Who's up for it?

I'm definately up for an outing - I'll tell the story of six gringoes, a bunch of Oaxacan mexcal, and a bar full of laughing Mexicans. It's too painful to tell this story more than once a year.

Mezcal hallucinations = tequila hallucinations squared

suddenly I have an almost magical understanding of William S. Burroughs and the irrepressible need to thank you repeatedly for being my very good friend. :wacko: 

:biggrin: By the way, did you catch what one eGulletteer had to say about too much vodka on the "Stuff I won't drink any more" thread? She said it made her take her clothes off.

Hmm Maybe "horizontal" is not the best way to describe this outing!.

I'm in.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

I'm definately up for an outing - I'll tell the story of six gringoes, a bunch of Oaxacan mexcal, and a bar full of laughing Mexicans. It's too painful to tell this story more than once a year.

Mezcal hallucinations = tequila hallucinations squared

There's a thousand tequila stories to tell in the big city...

:biggrin: By the way, did you catch what one eGulletteer had to say about too much vodka on the "Stuff I won't drink any more" thread? She said it made her take her clothes off.

I'm in.

Thanks for steering me over to that very enjoyable thread (your lengthy post on page 3 in particular). Btw, I think it was tequila that made the lady remover her garments, not vodka.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -Ernest Hemingway

I'm in.

Thanks for steering me over to that very enjoyable thread (your lengthy post on page 3 in particular). Btw, I think it was tequila that made the lady remover her garments, not vodka.

wanna gimme a link to this thread? i can't seem to find it.

mike

I'm in.

You're welcome. And I apologize for my carelessness. I meant tequila! :biggrin:

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

• 7 months later...
Nuevo Leon would be a great eGullet outing--sponsored or un-sponsored.

I know there are many trips/events in October w/eG'ers but perhaps we plan an outing in early November before the holiday crush starts?

I suggest Sat, November 8th.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"

Willie,

I'd love to participate but we'll be out of town that weekend...I'd certainly be in if the scheduling worked out for me.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com