• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fine Wine and Fine Dning

Coop

Actually 7 of us had a cheese service at Bar Demi last night and we drank a 1985 Quintarelli Ca del Merlo and I thought it was terrific with the cheese. The wine was great by the way. But definately drink up if you have any. Then we had a 1997 Domaine L'Aiguliere (or however they spell it) Cote Doree and I thought that went less well because the wine had a sort of tangerine like acidity that I didn't prefer. But I think that old wine, especially mature Bordeauxs or Barolos go fine with cheese. But I have to say that I haven't spent an excessive amount of time pairing them. I'm usually just finishing what's in my glass.

• 2 weeks later...

Steve was that really a 1985 Quintarelli Ca de Merlo? Have you tried any recent vintages? Should I be holding on to my 1997 1998? Have you also tried Quintarelli's Valpolicellas? They do really need a lot of time to come around.

" Food and Wine Fanatic"

Steve was that really a 1985 Quintarelli Ca de Merlo? Have you tried any recent vintages? Should I be holding on to my 1997 1998? Have you also tried Quintarelli's Valpolicellas? They do really need a lot of time to come around.

This exact wine was recently available (still might be) at Chambers Street. bottles looked perfect. Around $40 if i remember correctly.

best,

yb

This exact wine was recently available (still might be) at Chambers Street. bottles looked perfect. Around $40 if i remember correctly.

best,

yb

um, excuse me?

(edited so i could clear my throat before i dare respond)

Edited by Robert Nesta Marley (log)

Steve I just had a bottle of 1983 Quinterelli Valpolicella red, it was drinking as well as it could. It was very nice but not spectacular. You do have to wait 15-20 years for the best results. The fruit has a powdery fullness and was definitely more fruity than tanic. It did a nice balance between the two and the finish did go on for a while. It also had a little astringency not too terible but still more than I like. Wouldn't rush out to buy any more of that vintage, but if a spectacular vintage comes along I would be interested. I really enjoyed the 1978 in 1995 when I drank it. Actually it was incredible. Tasted more like a big red Burgandy. Lots of berry fruit and lushness, a beautiful food friendly wine.

" Food and Wine Fanatic"