• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gascogne?

coquille

Had been there several years ago and enjoyed it and was thinking of going back. How is it these days? (And what is their wine and Armanganc menu like $-wise?)

Or where else do you prefer for a comparable or better (but not exorbitant) experience? I'd like to treat a foodie friend of mine for his birthday.

He compared LE BERNADIN when someone else is sporting his meal but outta his pocket it's LES HALLES. I took him to FLEA MARKET on E.Village one night he enjoyed it. Another affordable french eatery try the duck breast its fabulous.

I have not been to Gascogne in some time, but I was always torn between wanted to eat in the garden and the realization that their food (not to mention their Armagnacs) is best enjoyed in the dead of winter.

They should rename the place Catch-22.

We were just at Gascogne last week celebrating my husband's birthday, and I have to say that our dinner was superb in every respect. One of the reasons we went there -- aside from the fact that we love the food and the ambiance, indoors as well as in the garden -- was because he was in the mood for cassoulet which is on their regular menu. He proclaimed it an excellent version. I had the magret which was perfectly prepared and succulent. Wonderful first courses were charcuterie (from D'Artagnan) and slow cooked mushrooms on puff pastry in a wine and truffle sauce. I don't remember what my husband had for dessert, but my warm chocolate cake with pistachio ice cream was delicious. I can't tell you anything about pricing on the wine and armagnac list because that's my husband's bailiwick. But I do know he was extemely happy to find a perfect half-bottle of wine for himself since I don't drink.

• 7 years later...

Was there last week and as solid as ever. Freezing cold outside and snow and slush everywhere after the big storm, nice and warm inside, Friendly, brusque bistro service. Excellent standby apps, endive w/ walnuts, pear and Roquefort, chicken liver with salad and a very good, not cloying, traditional French onion soup. Entrees were an excellent stuffed trout, moulard duck breast, the house cassoulet and I had smoked pork leg with cabbage. Everything was first rate, solid winter cooking. Wines tend to be in the $50-100 range, we had a nice Cahors. They still have a selection of Armangnacs. $18-35 depending on age.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.

- Errol Flynn