• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brussels Sprouts

tommy

I usually just slice in half, steam or boil them until barely tender and then saute them in butter and olive oil (or even better, bacon fat) until they begin to brown. Season with salt and pepper. I'm interested in hearing about roasting techniques, though. I love the little things. :wub:

After splitting them, blanching them and laying them in a well olive-oil-ed casserole dish I liberally add a few handfuls of seasoned breadcrumbs, grated locatelli cheese, black pepper, and a few tablespooons of chopped pancetta...drizzle with a bit more EVOO and broil for a bit.

Lisa

brussels are great! i peel away the outer leaves, split in half or quarter depending on the size and roast (as tommy assumed) at 400. get some good color (vegetable oil) and finish with bacon or duck fat - sounds good, evo or butter. some thyme, roasted garlic, maybe some nuts and perhaps something sweet (honey)

my technique would be to roast plain in the neutral oil and finish with the other ingredients (not all of them mind you). pick two to start with... report back when you have time

I usually just slice in half, steam or boil them until barely tender and then saute them in butter and olive oil (or even better, bacon fat) until they begin to brown. Season with salt and pepper. I'm interested in hearing about roasting techniques, though. I love the little things. :wub:

Everything Nightscottie said. But don't simply saute them in bacon fat, add the crumbled bacon.. Pretty good as well with some thinly sliced apple and/or pear sauteing along with them.

I've always been afraid to bake them because I fear that they would get overbrown and funky tasting. Zenfoodist might have the right idea, viz: blanching them first.

If you ever see them growing, they are the dang cuteset things. Imagine a plant that looks like the Green Giant's arm, covered with tiny tiny cabbagey things.

Hm....I hit a thousand posts today. Gaining on you, toms! :biggrin:

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

If you ever see them growing, they are the dang cuteset things.  Imagine a plant that looks like the Green Giant's arm, covered with tiny tiny cabbagey things.

I've often felt that there was any indication that God has a sense of humor, fresh growing brussels sprouts ranks right up there...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Everything Nightscottie said. But don't simply saute them in bacon fat, add the crumbled bacon.. Pretty good as well with some thinly sliced apple and/or pear sauteing along with them.

This is exactly what I do, except I omit the Brussels sprouts.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Man, brussels sprouts rule. I havent had them in some time though. I loved to pick them off of the green giant's arm when I was little.

A nice use of them is as a garnish. Take the individual leaves and tear them off to use as a garnish.

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

yeah, for blanching brussel sprouts, i usually trim off the ass end to get rid of the browning end of the stock (just shave it off), then i put a good 1cm (that's half an inch to those accustomed to imperial) "X" in the bottom. this helps cook the sprout evenly, the water can go into it further than if it were not cut. also, keeping it whole helps to keep all the leaves together. put them in BOILING salted water, but then bring it to a good simmer, or else the violence involved in rolling boiling water will damage the sprout and possibly leave it ripped up. then, when they are done blanching, shock them in cold water, cut in two, and pan fry them, oil and butter will do.

thanks for the ideas concerning bacon and so on, ill try that out.

joey

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

Brussels sprouts are great in combination with celeriac (celery root).

Peel and dice (1/4" to 1/2") the celeriac, and blanch in salted water (make sure it's salty enough - should taste as salty as the ocean) until almost done, shock in ice water.

Remove any dried/loose leaves from the sprouts, and score the "root" end with an "X" using a paring knife. Cook the whole brussels sprouts in salted water (see salting comment above) until almost done, shock in ice water.

When ready to serve, sautee the celeriac and sprouts together in butter (or bacon fat, or duck fat, etc.) until lightly browned and tender. Correct seasoning and serve.

If you cook with s__t, you wind up with s__t...Gerard Pangaud

also, cutting the sprout into a fine fine chiffonade, sweating it out really long in a good amount of butter, and incoroporating into mashed potatoes...  good stuff.

Yes! Thanks, Joe. It's been a long time since I did this, and it it wonderful.

Maybe tonight.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Mmmm Brussels sprouts are so good. In the running for fave veg.

Halved or quartered and roasted with olive oil, whole trimmed x-cut blanched whole shocked etc. sauteed and then given a dose of brown butter & nutmeg if you like nutmeg I don't sometimes I use mace instead but plenty of people like nutmeg well enough.

I recently combined some Brussels sprouts in the Jim Dixon Italo-PNW Roasted Cauliflower, and stirred in some butter at the end, and well, it was good.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

I steam them a bit, then roast them at 400 F tossed in some olive oil and garlic. This way it's more tender on the inside. Add a bit of bacon for meat eaters. I also like blanched and then stirred with butter and a squeeze of lemon juice, and salt and pepper.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

I would peel of the outer leaves and quarter them as matt suggests, and put them in a "cartoccio" package of aluminum foil with some olive oil, garlic, and perhaps some kind of chopped up bacon or pancetta. Put in oven at 400 degrees for like 30 mins. I've done them this way and they come out very nice.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

There's a thread here somewhere about Lupa's dish of shaved brussel sprounts (raw) with peccorino cheese, black pepper and EVOO.  Look for it.  You can makje it at home.  it's delish.

I made this the other night. I used a Microplane grater (coarse, I think). I grated them only halfway (to save my fingers) and tossed the intact halves in the oven to roast with EVOO, S & P.

I haven't tried the Lupa dish yet, but my version is pretty good. I love the color and texture of the shaved sprouts and plan on doing a bit of experimenting with them.

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

I second the vote above on bacon grease. I halve them, blanche them for a short time, drain, sauté them in bacon grease; add red onion or shallot to the pan, then toss them with pignoli and the reserved bacon (crumbled of course).

Edited by ronfland (log)

Toss with roast chestnuts instead of bacon for vegans.

You can stuff them, if you have the patience for amuse,

Or you can sprinkle with garlic/lemon/breadcrumbs

However they are best plain boiled, or steamed, slightly overcooked so they are soft but not discoloured, and served with a generous knob of good butter.

Boil in a low magnesium water like Evian to retain the colour.

Usual restaurant technique is to par-boil, then shock cool in advance. Then at service they can just be reheated (for example in a sieve in a pan of boiling water), or finished by frying as above. You didn't think they cooked them from raw on your order, did you?

Suttons Seeds (www.sutton-seeds.co.uk) do a new red brussel sprout called Red Delicious. Not sure if its grown commercially, so you may have to grow your own

Edited by jackal10 (log)