• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pyrat "Pistol"

Garcia21

I opened my bottle of Pyrat Pistol on Friday and after tasting it a few times this past weekend I think it is very good.

Amateur Notes:

It smells like gumdingers (a candy which is gum in the center and like a cherry lollipop on the outside, but no stick).

The inital taste is like gumdingers as well, sweet. While the finish is woody, nutty, and pepper(dry), in that order.

Not too harsh and no strong alcohol taste.

Overall smooth with a dry finish.

What does everyone else think of this rum?

I still have a few on my shelf waiting their turn...

Bacardi Anejo

El Dorado Special Reserve

Westerhall Plantation

Dogfish Head Honey Brown

and Whaler's Rare Reserve Dark

Salud,

Patrick

Garcia21,

At first, I liked this rum, but the flavours are very strong, and I think, artificial. I taste more like butterscotch or butter-rum.

A little goes a long way. You can use just a splash of this to flavour some less expensive rum.

To test my theory, when you finish your glass of this rum, no matter how you drink it, refill the glass with Coke or water. Now see if you can still taste the Pyrat. :raz:

Bolivar Petit Corona,

I am beginning to see what you mean. It does taste good but it lingers. I will try what you suggest and see what happens.

I am now leaning more toward it is good. But maybe not worth the price tag at $23 for 375ml.

I find I like it better on the rocks as opposed to neat.

Salud

Edited by Garcia21 (log)

I've tried the Pistol but I am more partial to the XO. Very expensive rum though, as far as street prices go.

Internetwines has the XO for $37, which is a very good price on this rum.

http://store.yahoo.com/randalls/rws19060.html

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I've tried the Pistol but I am more partial to the XO. Very expensive rum though, as far as street prices go.

Internetwines has the XO for $37, which is a very good price on this rum.

http://store.yahoo.com/randalls/rws19060.html

That is a very good price, especially when you remember you get twice :rolleyes: as much as in a pistol.

Samswine.com has Pyrat X.O. for $30 +shipping and I forgot, you do get 2 times as much as in a bottle of Pistol. I haven't tried X.O. yet, but am looking forward to it.

Salud

Edited by Garcia21 (log)

Greetings,

The Pyrat family of rums are all great, well to me. I have Pistol, ,X.O., and Cask 23 open at this time. I like the XO a little better than the Pistol. The Cask 23 is my favourite, but I drink far more XO due to the cost. I buy my XO for $29.99 and my Cask 23 for $99.99. It's harder to find Cask 23 and it's usually at $230 +

The XO is my favourite rum, and I always drink these on the rock. I personally LOVE every aspect of these rums, the smell, multiple flavours and lingering after taste (except my girlfriend complain about my breath the next morning when I've had too many Pyrats... puke.gif

Long live CJ Planter

Cheerrs

"Traveler, you who sail into the Caribbean in silvered yacht or gilded cruise ship, pause as you enter these waters to remember that deep below rest three men of honor who helped determine the history of this onetime Spanish Lake: Sir John Hawkins, builder of the English navy; Sir Francis Drake, conqueror of all known seas; Admiral Ledesma, stubborn enhancer of his king's prerogatives and the interests of his own strong family"

James A. Michener - Caribbean

Try rubbing a few drops of the spirit between your palms to heat it up then smell your hands. Caramel and other candy flavors are easily exposed. Try this with several different rums and I think you'll be surprised at what you discover.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

Greetings Ed,

Are you saying that there's a lot of "added" ingredients to the Pyrats?

Cheers, Dan

"Traveler, you who sail into the Caribbean in silvered yacht or gilded cruise ship, pause as you enter these waters to remember that deep below rest three men of honor who helped determine the history of this onetime Spanish Lake: Sir John Hawkins, builder of the English navy; Sir Francis Drake, conqueror of all known seas; Admiral Ledesma, stubborn enhancer of his king's prerogatives and the interests of his own strong family"

James A. Michener - Caribbean

• 2 years later...

All of these rums are blended in Anguilla from a variety of Caribbean rums. After spending time in almost every distillery in the Caribbean, I haven't found any other rum with the candied taste of Pyrat. It's interesting to me that the sweet orange taste of the least expensive Pyrat rum is lacking in their more expensive rums.

At some distilleries sherry, or other sweeteners are added to blended rums to give them a smoother taste or to hide the sharp taste of immature alcohol.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.