• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Akiko

Furikake

106 posts in this topic

I love canned fish and keep a huge stockpile, so I just went and checked and I have two cans of mackerel. One is 160g and the other is 190g, and I think that's typical. So I think you can go ahead and use your one big can for the recipe, maybe adjusting the seasonings a little.

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus

I'm interested in trying Hiroyuki's "magic furikake," but I have a question about the recipe: where it says "3 cans of mackerel," how big are the cans? The only canned mackerel I can get around here is 425g per can, so three of those would make a lot of furikake! Can someone help?

I can't believe I missed this question of mkayahara!

In Japan, one "saba no mizuni" can contains about 180-200 g simmered mackerel.

(The content has become lower. It was 210 to 220 g years ago, if I remember correctly.)

Here is the most recent post about my magic furikake.

Sorry for a very late reply and many thanks to smallworld for answering first!

Thank you both, smallworld and Hiroyuki! I'm looking forward to making this. Now I just have to go and buy some sesame seeds.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

The furikake and popcorn craze has hit Los Angeles in a big way - example Roy Choi's version at A-Frame. Also recently some co-workers were swooning over a bowl of Hurricane popcorn of which I got not a single kernel. In an attempt to join the party I purchased this Ebi Fumi Furikake and am set to experiment.

010.JPG

I love furikake, but have only eaten it on rice. I had a small container of it in my lunch box (a Mrs. Bento) one day when I was unpacking it to wash it and my husband grabbed it. "What's THIS!?" he demanded. I about laughed myself silly after he told me he thought it was weed.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0