• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Obsession Week on FoodTV

seawakim

I'm one hour into the Chocolate Obsession Week on FoodTV and cannot believe what they are doing to my favorite food. Words like sinful and death are overused and shouldn't even be used in reference to chocolate anyways IMHO. :hmmm:

After watching Emeril make a mockery of chocolate by burning it into a fallen souffle and topping it with what looked like chocolate syrup along with his usual array of words like "bam", "kick it up" I didn't think it could get any worse. But I was wrong.

Next up was the Best of show which started out their chocolate episode by showing some guy using Baker's and Hershey's to make a variety of things. :shock:

Why do I keep watching?

Well I have great hope that my knight Jacque Torres will ride up on a chocolate horse and rescue me :wub:

or at least share some of his skill and recipes :wink:

Anyone else out there watching this?

Edited by seawakim (log)

"If we don't find anything pleasant at least we shall find something new." Voltaire

It is strange that no matter how bad it gets, it is very difficult to tear yourself away from the food network.

Food TV ceased operations years ago. This new moniker, "Food Network," is yet another grasping, philistine attempt to garner some stupid cliche audience. So how many programming and name changes do I have to endure? What's worth viewing? A Cook's Tour?

Stupid schlock crap for stupid people. Keep that joke of a channel in business, suckers.

sorry - can't talk - eating warm liquid center chocolate cake from the Jean George recipe, served with raspberry sorbet and lavender creme brulee.

:biggrin:

Recipes, you bastard.

Here's a link to the chocolate cake recipe (super fast, easy and really good): http://www.wchstv.com/gmarecipes/warmsoftchocola.shtml

The lavender creme brulee came from the Herbfarm Cookbook and the sorbet I just threw together from some raspberry sauce I had in the fridge mixed with simple syrup and a dash of framboise.

As for the FoodTV shows - is Jacques showing anything new, or are they repeats from previously broadcast shows?

Jacques made it all worth it. :wub:

He made a marbled chocolate box, a beautiful white chocolate bow to top it, chocolate balloon cage, chocolate flowers and confections to fill the box with.

It was a pleasure to watch him create his artful pieces, as I believe the chocolate just obeys his every wish. :wink:

Nightscotsman, you're chocolate cake sounds awesome!

Edited by seawakim (log)

"If we don't find anything pleasant at least we shall find something new." Voltaire

It is strange that no matter how bad it gets, it is very difficult to tear yourself away from the food network.

It's all there is, really. There are some shows on Style, and a couple of other cable channels (House and Garden, Fine Living, Discovery Living), and PBS on Saturdays here in the SF Bay Area, too, but nothing consistent.

Maybe it'll be like MTV and they'll come up with a FTV 2 for "serious" shows.

After watching Emeril make a mockery of chocolate by burning it into a fallen souffle and topping it with what looked like chocolate syrup along with his usual array of words like "bam", "kick it up" I didn't think it could get any worse. But I was wrong.     

Next up was the Best of show which started out their chocolate episode by showing some guy using Baker's and Hershey's to make a variety of things.  :shock:

I too thought the first to segments of the Chocolate Special were lame, but the JT Special was quite good, I actually liked the Morimoto Special that was on earlier in the day.

I am disappointed at the decline of Food Network. IMHO it seems like it is just a venue for advertising commercial foods and tourist trap restaurants. Except for Sarah M., Jacques and Tony there is not a program I really enjoy. Why can't the network buy old French Chef reruns from PBS? My PBS station does not air them so there would be no competition.

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

I think y'all are being a little too hard on the food network. I know a lot of casual food people (myself among them) who like a bunch of programs-- I love The Best of... and Unwrapped, Gale Gand, Mario Batalli, etc. I know the information's being dumbed down for the masses, but I'm quite willing to admit that there's a lot I don't know and am willing to learn.

That being said, it would be nice if we could have a range of food programming for experts to beginners, in the way that there's a range of food publications.

Neil

Author of the Mahu series of mystery novels set in Hawaii.

Nightscotsman, you're chocolate cake sounds awesome!

It was!! :wub:

And the raspberry sorbet was delicious and had a very intense flavor. :wub:

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Yes, I agree Food Network has gone way downhill in the last couple of years.

The star of the Chocolate shows is definitely Jacques Torres. He is great. He is as much an artist as a pastry chef. It is mesmerizing to watch the show and see what he does. I'm sure the recipes are useless, few could do the things he does, like a painter showing you how to paint, it won't work. But the show is quite lovely to watch!! He has a disarming personality as well.

He made a marbled chocolate box, a beautiful white chocolate bow to top it, chocolate balloon cage, chocolate flowers and confections to fill the box with.

I've been thinking about this chocolate box all day, my sister and I were fascinated by it last night. I would never even attempt it. I do love Jacques Torres.

At least he didn't add garlic. :blink:

Noise is music. All else is food.

At least he didn't add garlic. :blink:

The thing that bugs the crap out of me when he does desserts is he only knows one way to garnish them. Every dish, no matter what it is gets a) dusted with powdered sugar, b) mint sprig, c) scattering of raspberries. This is NOT kicking anything up a notch.

I agree tvfn has lost it in recent years, but I don't agree that it's worthless, dave. I've always liked less than 50% of the programs and personalities, then and now, but hell, how much regular tv do I like anyway?

The network used to show The French Chef on "Cooking Classics" I believe. I wish they would begin to recycle their cancelled shows like Cooking Live Primetime and Taste. FTV2 would be a great thing!

nightscotsman, Jaques is still re-running. I actually don't think his techniques are out of reach, menton, if you understand the concept. I love his gelatin mold technique (champagne truffle episode). Very smart.

I despise Emeril.

Emeril can be difficult to digest at times, however, I have never had a problem duplicating any of his recipes. I think he gears his show toward the average home cook and that makes him popular with a large percent of the population (he must have a very good PR person).

Also in his defense, I have to say that the meal I ate at Nola was one of the finest I've had anywhere and the presentation was superb (he limits his use of the powdered sugar garnish for the TV shows).

As for Sara M., the last time I watched her show she couldn't even figure out how to get the top off of the food processor so I was less than impressed.

"Never eat more than you can lift" -- Miss Piggy

As for Sara M., the last time I watched her show she couldn't even figure out how to get the top off of the food processor so I was less than impressed.

Tell me you've never had to fight your food processor to get the top off or on. The one thing that makes me reconsider pulling the damn thing out in the first place. Plus, she's doing it backwards.

awww... give sara a break, I think she's sweet.

and... I have to admit, I used to think Bobby Flay was a bit cocky. But, his show tonight about chocolate in New York turned even me into a fan. (chocolate is a powerful thing) I think this particular episode was a bit more up to par, perhaps only because it was more recently produced. Sure, it seemed a bit rushed, and sure, the girl band was a bit (!!!) annoying after awhile... but, I enjoyed it! :biggrin:

... even chocolate can not make me a fan of Emeril though. :wink:

"Things go better with cake." -Marcel Desaulniers

timoblog!

16. Lengthier Menus Out of curiosity, have you prepared lengthier menus than the Tour de Force? If so, in what context were they assembled?

Thats part of her charm and a reason why she appeals to a great number of people. She is real, almost the Mom next door. She doesnt come across as "Celebrity Chef." She makes honest mistakes and laughs it off rather then cut to a commercial...

I'm afraid I have to come down on the other side of the Jacques Torres fans. He seems to have a sweet personality, but I want to scream when he says "I going to do this" one more time. Also, I've only seen one show where he actually cooked something that looked good to eat. Most of the shows I've seen have him painting with cocoa butter or making watermelon flavored suckers. And did you ever notice that his plates or display areas or whatever are never large enough? He just piles stuff in heaps for display. Still, he can be fascinating to watch, sorta like watching someone blow glass...and about the same degree of appetizing.

Sign me...Not a Chocoholic

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

Stupid schlock crap for stupid people.  Keep that joke of a channel in business, suckers.

well, i don't know if i would have put it quite this way, but..... :hmmm:

i only watch TFNW occasionally, but i happened to catch one of the chocolate specials earlier this week. i absolutely lost it when the guy and gal host team visited FANNIE MAE. they interviewed one of the "tasters"--she appeared to be in her mid- to late- eighties and mildly intellectually disabled. they asked her questions like, "What's the best part of your job?" and she would answer, I swear to god with her mouth full of candy, "Well, I still mwfm to mwfm the candies mwfm." it was almost not kind. sure, i laughed, but i'm sick.

and the visit to hersheys, walking around the amusement park saying, "Wow! You can smell the chocolate in the background!"--boy, i'm sure that's really great after you've eaten ten bags of cotton candy and ridden the tilt-a-whirl.