• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Mexican Food in London

I feel like Ponce De Leon roaming south America in search of the fountain of eternal youth (was it Ponce De Leon, or someone else?)...when will I find good Mexican food in London!? Certainly it can't be that rare, especially now that everyone and their grandmother is jetting off to Cabo San Lucas on package holidays. I have been hoping that Mexican food would be the new Thai - a cuisine that is discovered after a country becomes a trendy travel destination. So far, nothing.

I did pass a place in Sheen, however called Mexifresh. It looked promising but I was unable to stop at the time and the opportunity to explore it was lost. Anyone tried it?

Mexican food as served in London is mushy pap designed to be sucked up through a straw by people with no teeth who need something to soak up the tequila.

It is the worst cuisine in London and there isn't a Mexican restaurant worth going to.

Some American type restaurants (Armadillo?) may serve some Mexican influenced specialities but you'd have to check.

Edited by Tonyfinch (log)

Let's face it, the only good, authentic Mexican food in Europe is to be found in Madrid - particularly at La Taquería del Alamillo and Entre Suspiro y Suspiro, with Las Mañanitas a worthy third on the podium. There is no Mexican population in Europe, no ethnic background, and so-called 'Mexican restaurants' on this continent are wannabe defrozen-tortilla Tex-Mex joints of strictly no distinction.

Victor de la Serna

elmundovino

What Vserna said: good quality 'ethnic' (how I detest that word) restaurants depend on a substantial population of a particular nationality. Sadly, we only have a smattering of Mexicans in this country, so no serious Mexican food outlets. :sad: I consider Mexican to be one of the great underrated cuisines of the world and it is a tragedy that we can't experience it here. Armadillo is really about food from South America rather than the Central American isthmus. Buy lots of Diana Kennedy books instead.

v

Mexican food as served in London is mushy pap designed to be sucked up through a straw by people with no teeth who need something to soak up the tequila.

That sounds just ghastly.

Are these places popular???

:unsure:

Edit: This put me in mind of a close friend who spent 3 years in Germany. She'd been there one month and was emailing me in desperation. I sent her a "CARE" package that included seeds for growing her own jalapenos, cilantro, etc., as well as some masa to make tortillas, and an entire box of recipes.

It took her a while, but finally she got things to the point that she could enjoy good Mexican food in her home.

But there was a disadvantage - it turned out the whole neighborhood wanted to "enjoy good Mexican food in her home" too!

:wacko:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Since the sad demise of Si Señor, there is NO good Mexican food in London, except in my home - since Marisol, the owner, took off to sunnier climes (Spain) I have found several Mexican products outlets, including El Azteca Foods in Elephant and Castle, and they will deliver...

I am Mexican, I have been considering a small taqueria...

If you can manage to get yourself invited to an event at the Mexican embassy, you're in luck too...

I think Mexifresh is a supply/delivery company, but the may have expanded - may have to go south of the river - again....

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

I am Mexican, I have been considering a small taqueria...

If you can manage to get yourself invited to an event at the Mexican embassy, you're in luck too...

I hope you do open a taqueria. Maybe you could find a promising location within a block of two of the Mexican embassy. I've found that to be a great advantage for small "ethnic" restaurants half-way 'round the world from "home."

A built-in clientele - plus perhaps you could share suppliers.

Buena suerte.

:rolleyes:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Sandra, it would be great if you got a real Mexican food enterprise off the ground. :smile:

I tend to rely on Rick Bayless and Diana Kennedy books, and I order chilies, masa and tomatillos from the Cool Chile Company in West London.

(Pollo Rojo - :wub: Can't wait to break out the BBQ!)

Based on my experiences in the US I can say only two things for the 'average' Mexican restaurant - it's cheap and fattening!

Unless it has some genuine dishes on the menu (my personal favourite being Mole Poblano - chicken in chocolate sauce) then, as Tony said, it's mushy pap. But it's not just the UK it's also the States too (although there are some truly amazing Mexican restaurants there but they are not usually 'chains').

Believe it or not one of the few large places in Florida that serves semi-authentic food is in Disney World at Epcot Center! At least they do an edible Aztec soup and Mole Poblano. It's in the San Angel Inn which, in itself, is supposed to be a copy of the 'real' San Angel Inn in Mexico City. It isn't really but for Disney it's really quite good!

Peter,

You have probably not had the experience of tasting a new breed of Mexican food which is quite popular in California (I can't speak for the other 49 states). It mainly consists of grilled meats/fish, salsas, beans and tortillas and is very easy on the cheese and heavy sauce. Most of these places fry their tortilla chips in safflower oil, which is very low in saturated fats.

I have been told by a number of people who have spent a good amount of time in Baja that this is a largely regional cuisine. The speciality (I have been told) is the fish taco - if you have never experienced this delight make every effort to do so. It is heavenly! Pieces of Pacific fish (Mahi Mahi or swordfish) are lightly battered or grilled and served in a soft tortilla with lettuce (or white cabbage), salsa and a light sauce which seems to have some type of lemon base.

Traditional 'gringo' Mexican food goes heavy on the cheese, beans and deep fried element, but we tend to forget that Mexico is surrounded by sea and fish figures into the cuisine as well.

Having said all of that, I still love a plate of enchiladas made with mole sauce.

Peter,

You have probably not had the experience of tasting a new breed  of Mexican food which is quite popular in California

Ah, but yes I have and you are 100% correct. However California is a special case and the Mexican food I have had there is extremely good, healthy and uses many different ingredients. Unfortunately you have difficulty finding this food in Mexico as it's predominately Californian! But you are so right, it's very good.

• 4 weeks later...

our catering company, Butter & Co., supplies tex-mex and mexican food and goodies for parties in London (along with other N. American cuisines...cajun/creole, southern, new england, etc).

still searching for a good mexican restaurant in London though...there's a restaurant available for rent on all saints road, w11! very tempting.